Page 38 of 53 [ 835 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 53  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2021, 2:41 am

I understand the intention there, but I feel that you can't really do that or that doesn't really count when it's a photo of someone kissing their spouse as that is a very different context than a police situation. So it just comes out as out of context for me, but that's just me :).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2021, 2:43 am

ironpony wrote:
I understand the intention there, but I feel that you can't really do that or that doesn't really count when it's a photo of someone kissing their spouse as that is a very different context than a police situation. So it just comes out as out of context for me, but that's just me :).

Well....I guess that's true. can't argue against that logic

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2021, 2:49 am

Even though I felt the photo was out of context the matter, I do understand the intention though.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2021, 9:25 pm

I personally see 'woke' people as people who would have been fundamental Christians in a different age. They treat science like a religion.

Question everything, science is about asking questions and constant revision of an existing body of knowledge & understanding.

Critical thinking is an important skill. Not simply accepting something because it 'feels right'. Having an alternative opinion doesn't mean you think a general truth is wrong, but sometimes, things really don't apply to individuals. Statistical anomalies are ever present in any scientific field.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2021, 9:47 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
I personally see 'woke' people as people who would have been fundamental Christians in a different age. They treat science like a religion.

Question everything, science is about asking questions and constant revision of an existing body of knowledge & understanding.

Critical thinking is an important skill. Not simply accepting something because it 'feels right'. Having an alternative opinion doesn't mean you think a general truth is wrong, but sometimes, things really don't apply to individuals. Statistical anomalies are ever present in any scientific field.

The anti-woke mob have ample opportunity to question public policies based on psychological, social science or scientific data. When the premise of your argument is to equate science with religious fundamentalism then it's like walking on quicksand. It isn't stable platform to build arguments on.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2021, 11:24 pm

I'm not part of any mob. I operate as a lone wolf, with a few scattered allies.

I do not like mobs, or crowds, thank you very much.

I was doing the opposite of equating science with religion. My claim/argument was that some woke-ists denigrate science by treating it like a religion, accepting it without question, instead of scrutinising the finer details.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2021, 1:55 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
My claim/argument was that some woke-ists denigrate science by treating it like a religion, accepting it without question, instead of scrutinising the finer details.

Ok I think I know what you mean. But in today's society science and medicine are considered "authoritative" sources for information. Fopr example most people would believe a medically trained doctor when they give medical advice over an opinion from Joe Rogan.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2021, 4:39 pm

Medical doctors know a lot more than the average person. That doesn't mean they are correct about every last thing, however, and they are human, with human mistakes.

In fact, any educational body is at risk of teaching things that are wrong, or only 'mostly correct', and it is the job of those who have contrary experiences to a given norm' to share their experiences to add to the collective of recorded experiences, even if their experience only accounts for a small fraction of a pie chart, statistically.

Sometimes, systemic issues are highlighted when people 'on the ground' demonstrate different outcomes than laboratory outcomes or limited-scope research trials.

So I sympathise with doctors having to deal with ignorant patients, but at the same time, there are a lot of doctors that don't do their job properly, whether because of the system they work within, or because of they are worn out from over-working and underperforming, or they are just 'bad' doctors'.

Any scientific field can be revised or supplanted and science is only as good as its own orthodoxy.

The difference between science and religion is that science is infinitely more grounded in reality, whereas with religion you could potentially make things up and you have to choose what to believe to a greater extent than with science.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2021, 6:16 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Medical doctors know a lot more than the average person. That doesn't mean they are correct about every last thing, however, and they are human, with human mistakes.

In fact, any educational body is at risk of teaching things that are wrong, or only 'mostly correct', and it is the job of those who have contrary experiences to a given norm' to share their experiences to add to the collective of recorded experiences, even if their experience only accounts for a small fraction of a pie chart, statistically.

Sometimes, systemic issues are highlighted when people 'on the ground' demonstrate different outcomes than laboratory outcomes or limited-scope research trials.

So I sympathise with doctors having to deal with ignorant patients, but at the same time, there are a lot of doctors that don't do their job properly, whether because of the system they work within, or because of they are worn out from over-working and underperforming, or they are just 'bad' doctors'.

Any scientific field can be revised or supplanted and science is only as good as its own orthodoxy.

The difference between science and religion is that science is infinitely more grounded in reality, whereas with religion you could potentially make things up and you have to choose what to believe to a greater extent than with science.

Makes sense.

Also don't forget the average person is not blessed with endless time/resources to counter medical or scientific advice by conducting their own research (I'm reminded of the "real-life" movie Lorenzo's oil where the parents had to basically stop their lives for some years in order to find an alternative cure for their son's medical condition). Therefore they have no choice but to go with the most reliable source.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2021, 8:07 pm

Lorenzo's Oil is a good example, yes. I haven't seen it personally, but I have heard of it.

And yes, people don't have the skills nor time to research things properly, but 'shortcuts' to learning can occur.

When everyone tells you peanuts are perfectly safe - they are right in general, but also wrong for the tiny minority of people who can die from consuming them.

If someone assures you the peanuts are safe, even when you know they are not, for yourself, you can rest easy, telling them to go f**k themselves.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2021, 8:21 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
When everyone tells you peanuts are perfectly safe - they are right in general, but also wrong for the tiny minority of people who can die from consuming them.

I think vaccine manufacturers are required by regulatory bodies to publish known side-effects. The problem with COVID vaccines is the speed they have been rushed through has not provided sufficient time for those early volunteers to properly know the myriad of side-effects. These are better known now but the long term effects are unknown.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2021, 8:29 pm

You don't have to convince me - I'm skeptical of every last darn thing. I am an unlucky bastard. Every bad thing happens to me - I'm waiting for a lightning bolt to strike me down from the heavens (figuratively speaking).

I know there's 'space' etc. and the ionosphere etc.

If it weren't for my sheer determination, rather than any gifts of intelligence, I'd be utterly screwed, by now.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2021, 10:46 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
You don't have to convince me - I'm skeptical of every last darn thing. I am an unlucky bastard. Every bad thing happens to me - I'm waiting for a lightning bolt to strike me down from the heavens (figuratively speaking).

If it weren't for my sheer determination, rather than any gifts of intelligence, I'd be utterly screwed, by now.

As the Bee Gees once said, the trick is "Staying Alive" and waiting for what happens next.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2021, 11:15 pm

cyberdad wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

As the Bee Gees once said, the trick is "Staying Alive" and waiting for what happens next.

Precisely. I believe when a persons time has come, it has come.

You can prolong your life with science, but you lose something in the process in some way, cognitively, in my opinion.

AnomalousAspergian
Raven
Raven

26 Nov 2021, 10:54 am

Isn't the definition of wokeness a heightened awareness of the various social injustices in society and becoming self-actualised in order to counter those unjustices with the hopes of resolving them?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 3:09 pm

AnomalousAspergian wrote:
Isn't the definition of wokeness a heightened awareness of the various social injustices in society and becoming self-actualised in order to counter those unjustices with the hopes of resolving them?

That is how it started. Now it often means the United States was founded and defined by White Supremacy and slavery. White Supremacy and White Privilege remain its defining features that permeates society ie systematic racism. Privilege is defined by group. If the group you are born into has power you are privileged even if your life has been hardscrabble. Systematic racism is so baked into American society many members of both the privileged and oppressed groups do not even realize it, they take it for granted as normal. To defeat that requires all whites who are deemed privileged to constantly think about how they are privileged in all aspects of life. It requires those who recognize it to constantly point it out, to make the privileged uncomfortable, to cancel those who do not get it. When looking at historical figures they must be judged by todays standards, that those were the times they lived in does not count. Meritocracy and colorblindness are not the solution they are problems, because they are excuses used to perpetuate oppression.

Since privilege is defined by group power any and every group is privileged or oppressed, or both. Common groups defined as privileged oppressors besides white people are males, heterosexuals, and cisgendered people. NT’s would also fall into that category for those who view the world in that way.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman