Page 48 of 53 [ 835 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 53  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 9:56 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
The 1968 classic, which has nearly sixty million streams on Spotify, has been banned by the Welsh Rugby Union from being played at matches in the country because the lyrics include a reference to a woman being murdered by her jealous partner.

So violence against women in heavy metal and rap music is ok??

Does the Welsh Rugby Union play songs like that during matches?

Some get a free pass (not a rugby pun)

Can you name an example with that sort of content?

One of the most popular Australian TV shows is the "Footy Show" which covers Australian rules. The high ratings are because the channel 9 producers allow for excessive amounts of innapropriate non-PC content.
There's two - one for AFL (Australian rules football) and one for Australian rugby league.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 10:01 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

So violence against women in heavy metal and rap music is ok??

Does the Welsh Rugby Union play songs like that during matches?

Some get a free pass (not a rugby pun)

Can you name an example with that sort of content?

One of the most popular Australian TV shows is the "Footy Show" which covers Australian rules. The high ratings are because the channel 9 producers allow for excessive amounts of innapropriate non-PC content.
There's two - one for AFL (Australian rules football) and one for Australian rugby league.

So no, you don't have an example of a metal or rap song with lyrics that include a reference to a woman being murdered by her jealous partner that gets played at matches. Is there an example of that sort of song you can name from those shows?

That's all I was asking about, an apples to apples comparison.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 10:04 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
So no, you don't have an example of a metal or rap song with lyrics that include a reference to a woman being murdered by her jealous partner that gets played at matches. Is there an example of that sort of song you can name from those shows?

That is very specific....like asking if I can come up with another far right individual who dresses like the QAnon shaman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 10:07 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

That is very specific....like asking if I can come up with another far right individual who dresses like the QAnon shaman

Not really, it's more like asking if you can name another QAnoner who agrees with him.

If it's common, it shouldn't be hard to cite an example.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 12:47 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Not really, it's more like asking if you can name another QAnoner who agrees with him.

I misunderstood your original question. I thought you wanted me to come up with examples of media/entertainment that get a "free pass" on wokeness.

There's actually plenty of music, comedy and television which get's a free pass.

I note that managing PC is a fulltime job when you commit yourself to social justice using your platform
https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop ... -rcna40915
https://www.glamour.com/story/lizzo-grr ... ics-change

What's likely is that Beyonce and Lizzo are (behind closed doors) unaware they use language that is ableist or derogatory toward disabled people. Somebody had to point that out to them. In changing the words to their songs they might lost a few fans who despise wokeness and think they are being hypocrites. But I doubt it has impacted their fanbase or their income.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 1:12 am

Anyway back on topic.

Children's books by Roald Dahl getting surgical treatment
https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/b ... 0834285670

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 11:09 am

cyberdad wrote:
I note that managing PC is a fulltime job when you commit yourself to social justice using your platform

It was noted in one of the articles that “spaz” has a non slur meaning in black english. A slur having a different connotation in black English recently came up in a very public way.
NBA Fines Cam Thomas $40,000 for ‘No Homo’ Comment
Quote:
NBA player Cam Thomas has been fined $40,000 for using a phrase critics say is homophobic.

The 21-year-old guard for the Brooklyn Nets used the phrase during a postgame interview with a TNT reporter following the team’s victory over the Chicago Bulls on Feb. 9.

The reporter asked Thomas about a joke that his new teammate, Spencer Dinwiddie, had made earlier last week, talking about the recent trade that landed him on the Nets.

As part of a trade with the Dallas Mavericks, the Nets sent NBA superstar point guard Kyrie Irving and power forward Markieff Morris to Dallas, in exchange for Dinwiddie, another player, and several future draft picks.

Dinwiddie later commented that while the Nets might not have acquired the most talented players in the deal, they did get the “best-looking” players, adding that “the Nets needed some help in that department.”

“I seen it,” Thomas said in response to Dinwiddie’s remarks. “But I was like, ‘Man, he just talking.’ We already had good-looking dudes,” before adding, “No homo.”

The reporter, Jared Greenberg, was caught off guard by Thomas’s words. “Surely the league office will enjoy that one,” he said, a reference to the NBA’s practice of fining players who use homophobic language.

“No homo” is a slang expression, often used as a joke, added at the end of sentences to defend its speaker against potential accusations of harboring homosexual desires.

But its use has rankled some more sensitive members of the LGBTQ community, who believe it paints homosexuality as an undesirable trait.

Thomas later took to Twitter to apologize for the statement.

“I was excited about the win and was being playful,” Thomas tweeted. “I definitely didn’t intend to offend anyone, but realize that I probably did. My apologies again. Much love.”

In recent years, the NBA has doled out punishments to players for using homophobic language or making anti-gay remarks — much to the chagrin of opponents of political correctness, who argue the league has gone overboard in trying to police language that might offend some people.

No Homo - Wilipedia
Quote:
”No homo" is a slang phrase used at the end of a sentence to assert the statement spoken by the speaker had no intentional homosexual implications. The phrase is also "added to a statement in order to rid [oneself] of a possible homosexual double-entendre"

The phrase was originated by Harlem, New York City, natives and made famous by the Harlem rapper Cam'ron as a way to quash any sexual and gender error or overstep within lyrics.vJoshua Brown in the Journal of Homosexuality, states "the phrase 'no homo' arose in Hip-Hop lyrics of the 1990s as a discourse interjection to negate supposed sexual and gender transgressions".The phrase "no homo" used in a lyrical context comes as a pre-emptive maneuver to deflect any attacks on the artist's masculinity or heterosexual status. Within this context, "'No homo' is not necessarily addressing homosexuality, but creating a verbal defensive in the musical battlefield that is wrought with signifyn' and bustin'. [Musicians] realize that a lyric, which is 'inadvertently gay,' is fodder for another's verbal attack on their masculinity within hip-hop culture. In an attempt to divert their own de-masculinization, musicians presuppose those attacks at their masculinity".

As with many attributes of hip hop culture, the use of "no homo" has become integrated into the mainstream North American vernacular. One reason for this as proposed by Brown is that the integration and reception of the specific phrase no homo into the conversational dialect of North American English was simple and due in part to its phonetic resonance. Due to its association to the display of hypermasculinity, scholar Deborah Cameron argues the use of this phrase by young males demonstrates how "gender has constantly to be reaffirmed and publicly displayed by repeatedly performing particular acts in accordance to cultural norms".

It is often viewed as humorous, particularly when in relation to a double entendre.

According to some critics, "no homo" perpetuates the notion that homosexuality and gay people are lesser than heterosexuality and straight people.Others have pointed out that the phrase is used among gay people. There are instances of LGBT people using "no homo," though it is most often done so in a more ambiguous or critical light and does not reduce the homophobic qualities. For instance, it could be used by a gay man "when complimenting a straight man on his appearance...distancing the compliment from a sexual advance, when a gay man feels threatened or seeks to protect himself from misunderstanding" or if "a homosexual man said 'my fiancé (another man) and I are going to get married this summer, no homo'". In these instances, the phrase was used either as a protective measure for one's legitimate misunderstanding or as an ironic commentary on the phrase itself.

Several social commentators have criticized the use of "no homo" in hip hop and in the mainstream. It has been said that the phrase "uphold[s] an unhealthy relationship with homosexuality, a relationship based in fear."Fox News commentator Marc Lamont Hill encouraged the hip hop community to stop using "no homo" in its music.

Slate columnist Jonah Weiner notes several hip hop artists – such as Cam'ron and Lil Wayne – cultivate an extravagant and camp public persona while embracing homophobia, but saying "no homo" can help expand established concepts of masculinity and challenge the status quo.

I had never heard of the expression “no homo” before. I had most defiantly have heard the word “homo” before. Growing up it was commonly used by schoolyard bullies and it was right up there with “n****r” as bigoted slur. My guess is that the people that fined Cam Thomas are older people with an older understanding of the word “homo” and thus interpreted the phrase “no homo” as meaning the person saying “no homo” is ashamed of being associated with homosexuality rather then being as a descriptor as Cam Thomas was using it. When I say I am left handed I am not saying being right handed is something to be ashamed of.

Woke people have become masters at changing the connotations of words such as racism and privilege for antiracism purposes. The meaning of language changes all the time they say. Get with the program they demand. If you don’t you are whitesplaining which is a racist act. I have this question, is saying “no homo” is a homophobic slur some sort of ‘splaining? Is not demanding younger black people not use the phrase or “Spaz” for that matter as they see fit racist and ageist? Don’t us old people need to get with the program or else.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 19 Feb 2023, 12:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 12:05 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I misunderstood your original question. I thought you wanted me to come up with examples of media/entertainment that get a "free pass" on wokeness.

There's actually plenty of music, comedy and television which get's a free pass.

What's likely is that Beyonce and Lizzo are (behind closed doors) unaware they use language that is ableist or derogatory toward disabled people. Somebody had to point that out to them. In changing the words to their songs they might lost a few fans who despise wokeness and think they are being hypocrites. But I doubt it has impacted their fanbase or their income.

You're still not answering what was actually asked.
All I've asked about were what offensive songs still get played at Welsh Rugby Union matches.

I'm going to assume none because you've repeatedly failed to name any and instead have replied with anything but an answer repeatedly.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 1:44 am

funeralxempire wrote:
All I've asked about were what offensive songs still get played at Welsh Rugby Union matches..

Oh! I don't know personally...but a google search bought this up
https://www.paulmerryblues.com/the-simi ... rty-blues/

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2023, 8:58 pm

I’m a Black physician, and I’m appalled by mandated implicit bias training
Marilyn Singleton is a board-certified anesthesiologist and a visiting fellow at the medical advocacy organization Do No Harm.

Quote:
When I graduated with a medical degree in 1973, a Black woman in a class of mostly White men, there was a real sense that the days of obsessing over skin color and making race-based assumptions about our fellow human beings was finally fading — and, hopefully, soon gone for good.

Apparently not. That racial obsession has come rushing back — in academia, politics, business and even in my beloved medical profession. But now it’s coming from the opposite direction. The malignant false assumption that Black people are inherently inferior intellectually has been traded in for the malignant false assumption that White people are inherently racist.

That is the basic message conveyed by “implicit bias training,” which is now mandatory for California physicians; it is a message that I believe is harmful both to physicians and patients. There is a sad irony in all this, because the misguided focus on racism is intended to improve the health and well-being of Black patients in particular.

The law, which took effect last year, includes other bias targets, including gender identity, age and disability. But in practice, such training — a mainstay of the diversity and inclusion industry, worth an estimated $3.4 billion in 2020 — is overwhelmingly about race.

In California, where I’ve been licensed since 1974, every physician is required by law to participate in this racially regressive practice. Doctors must take implicit bias training not just once but as part of the curriculum of “continuing medical education,” for at least 50 hours every two years, required for their medical license renewal.

The training’s focus is on exactly what the name suggests: deeply ingrained prejudice toward people of different races. There is no room for debate, for the law states baldly: “Implicit bias, meaning the attitudes or internalized stereotypes that affect our perceptions, actions, and decisions in an unconscious manner, exists.”

And the law asserts as fact that implicit bias is responsible for “racial and ethnic disparities in health care,” particularly for Black women.

I am so disturbed by the state’s mandate that, so far, I have balked at the training. But I know that I must comply before the end of 2023 if I wish to have my medical license renewed.

Many of my friends and colleagues ask why I’m so upset by the law. Clearly, implicit bias training isn’t meant for me. It’s aimed at White people, who are far and away the biggest share of the medical profession. My answer is simple. I reject the unscientific accusation that people are defined by their race, not by their individual beliefs and choices. It is little consolation that studies are finding implicit bias training has no effect on its intended targets, and might even make matters worse.

Think about the message this mandate sends to Black physicians. It suggests that I should be wary of my White colleagues because, after all, they’re biased against people like me.

Since I became a physician, I have seen exactly one instance of racism in health care — and it was from a patient, not a fellow physician. As for my colleagues, I have been consistently impressed with the conscientious, individualized care they have provided to patients of every race and culture. When we all took our oath to “first, do no harm,” we meant it, and we live it. I can’t imagine spending my entire career thinking my peers can’t uphold that oath without constant racial reeducation.

The message to physicians is bad enough, but the message to patients is much worse. Black people are, in effect, being told that White physicians are likely to quite literally damage our health.

The whole point of implicit bias training is to create better health outcomes for Black patients and others who might be the target of discrimination, but the opposite seems more likely. It fosters a climate of distrust and resentment that threatens to undermine the medical and moral progress I’ve seen over the decades. When I graduated from medical school, we were moving past the era of racial obsession and anger. Why are we going back to the days when race defined so many lives and dimmed so many futures?

I am shocked this would appear in The Washington Post. There is hope after all.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2023, 9:17 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
All I've asked about were what offensive songs still get played at Welsh Rugby Union matches..

Oh! I don't know personally...but a google search bought this up
https://www.paulmerryblues.com/the-simi ... rty-blues/

As a Welshman who attends Welsh Rugby matches I can attest that none of the songs on that website get played (I've been at a match where they played Delilah and sang along - Ha Ha Ha Haw) . Maybe, just maybe, the alternative verse of Sweet Chariot gets sung by the crowd but I have not personally heard it, it also seems like football fan behaviour not rugby fan behaviour.

Only songs I've heard played by the RFU at matches.

Other Nations National anthem
The Welsh National Anthem 'Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau' ('Land of My Fathers')
Delilah - Tom Jones
Bread of Heaven.
As long as we beat the English - Stereophonics
Hymns and Arias - Max Boyce
Calon Lân ( 'A Pure Heart')
Sosban Fach ('little saucepan')

Last edited by Recidivist on 28 Feb 2023, 9:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2023, 9:32 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I’m a Black physician, and I’m appalled by mandated implicit bias training
Marilyn Singleton is a board-certified anesthesiologist and a visiting fellow at the medical advocacy organization Do No Harm.
Quote:
When I graduated with a medical degree in 1973, a Black woman in a class of mostly White men, there was a real sense that the days of obsessing over skin color and making race-based assumptions about our fellow human beings was finally fading — and, hopefully, soon gone for good.

Apparently not. That racial obsession has come rushing back — in academia, politics, business and even in my beloved medical profession. But now it’s coming from the opposite direction. The malignant false assumption that Black people are inherently inferior intellectually has been traded in for the malignant false assumption that White people are inherently racist.

That is the basic message conveyed by “implicit bias training,” which is now mandatory for California physicians; it is a message that I believe is harmful both to physicians and patients. There is a sad irony in all this, because the misguided focus on racism is intended to improve the health and well-being of Black patients in particular.

The law, which took effect last year, includes other bias targets, including gender identity, age and disability. But in practice, such training — a mainstay of the diversity and inclusion industry, worth an estimated $3.4 billion in 2020 — is overwhelmingly about race.

In California, where I’ve been licensed since 1974, every physician is required by law to participate in this racially regressive practice. Doctors must take implicit bias training not just once but as part of the curriculum of “continuing medical education,” for at least 50 hours every two years, required for their medical license renewal.

The training’s focus is on exactly what the name suggests: deeply ingrained prejudice toward people of different races. There is no room for debate, for the law states baldly: “Implicit bias, meaning the attitudes or internalized stereotypes that affect our perceptions, actions, and decisions in an unconscious manner, exists.”

And the law asserts as fact that implicit bias is responsible for “racial and ethnic disparities in health care,” particularly for Black women.

I am so disturbed by the state’s mandate that, so far, I have balked at the training. But I know that I must comply before the end of 2023 if I wish to have my medical license renewed.

Many of my friends and colleagues ask why I’m so upset by the law. Clearly, implicit bias training isn’t meant for me. It’s aimed at White people, who are far and away the biggest share of the medical profession. My answer is simple. I reject the unscientific accusation that people are defined by their race, not by their individual beliefs and choices. It is little consolation that studies are finding implicit bias training has no effect on its intended targets, and might even make matters worse.

Think about the message this mandate sends to Black physicians. It suggests that I should be wary of my White colleagues because, after all, they’re biased against people like me.

Since I became a physician, I have seen exactly one instance of racism in health care — and it was from a patient, not a fellow physician. As for my colleagues, I have been consistently impressed with the conscientious, individualized care they have provided to patients of every race and culture. When we all took our oath to “first, do no harm,” we meant it, and we live it. I can’t imagine spending my entire career thinking my peers can’t uphold that oath without constant racial reeducation.

The message to physicians is bad enough, but the message to patients is much worse. Black people are, in effect, being told that White physicians are likely to quite literally damage our health.

The whole point of implicit bias training is to create better health outcomes for Black patients and others who might be the target of discrimination, but the opposite seems more likely. It fosters a climate of distrust and resentment that threatens to undermine the medical and moral progress I’ve seen over the decades. When I graduated from medical school, we were moving past the era of racial obsession and anger. Why are we going back to the days when race defined so many lives and dimmed so many futures?

I am shocked this would appear in The Washington Post. There is hope after all.

I wonder if it has ever crossed anyone's minds that the people who started this annoying trend of declaring all white people as being "inherently racist" have an actual sinister agenda behind doing this? Seems to me that this is going to create ANYTHING but a better society where we treat each other as equals.

I personally think whoever started this crap either wanted to create instability in our society or they're pushing for another civil war.

It's just going to wind up being one big mess... and I'm not sure there is any real hope for us tbh.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2023, 7:07 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I wonder if it has ever crossed anyone's minds that the people who started this annoying trend of declaring all white people as being "inherently racist" have an actual sinister agenda behind doing this? Seems to me that this is going to create ANYTHING but a better society where we treat each other as equals.

I look at as a phase they are going through.

Martin Luther King started as a communist subversive, today right wing Americans look back and say he was a true American, Heck even Trump has his bust in his oval office.

Malcolm X started life as a criminal, then he became a black muslim and a fire brand speaker. Prior to his assassination he transitioned to being a humanist, one of the very few Americans who carried personal integrity as his mantra

Neslon Madela was a terrorist. He eventually won the nobel peace prize and created a unique form of reconciliation with people who tortured him for almost 30 years in a squalid prison.

Give people time

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2023, 7:50 am

Martin Luther King was loved by everyone (well everyone except the klan and neonazis I'm sure) because he truly believed in creating a world where black people and white people could be equal and get along.

In my opinion the so-called activists of today are an insult to his legacy. They don't want to build a better world they just want to burn the current world down with even more hate.

Silence23
Toucan
Toucan

01 Mar 2023, 11:13 am

Interview with Gad Saad, author of the book "The Parasitic Mind: How Infectious Ideas Are Killing Common Sense"

All roads lead to bigotry

The beauty of that sort of woke logic is that you can't falsify, or you can't escape the ultimate outcome, which is that you're a Nazi bigot.

So for example, if I say, just because of the random genetic combination that makes who I am, I'm very attracted to black women. If I say that, then I am a bigot because I am objectifying the black body. I am fetishizing the exoticism of black women. If I say, you know, I'm actually not attracted to black women, that I am actually attracted to women that look like you. Well, then I'm a racist. I am a sexual racist.

So if I'm uniquely attracted by black women I'm a Nazi bigot, and if I'm uniquely not attracted to black women I'm a Nazi bigot, so I can't escape being a bigot.

https://www.chattingwithcandice.com/22- ... itic-mind/

It reminds me of Christianity, where no matter what you do you're a sinner, and you have to give money to the church to pay for your sins. Instilling a guilt complex into people can be quite profitable. You can easily control people and get attention, fame and money.

Last edited by Silence23 on 01 Mar 2023, 11:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2023, 11:15 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Martin Luther King was loved by everyone (well everyone except the klan and neonazis I'm sure) because he truly believed in creating a world where black people and white people could be equal and get along.

In my opinion the so-called activists of today are an insult to his legacy. They don't want to build a better world they just want to burn the current world down with even more hate.

Is that why the FBI kept a dossier on him and why he was regularly branded a communist, a traitor and a race-baiter?

If MLK was alive today they'd slander him as 'too woke', even if his views were identical.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う