Page 21 of 53 [ 835 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 53  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 2:32 am

ironpony wrote:
But why not just make movies as to what works for the story rather than filling agendy boxes? Isn't story more important to a lot of moviegoers and fiction lovers?

You mean the power of love, redemption, mystery, drama, emotion etc? They can do both (and often do) have a good story but also inject some life lessons. I think that's more clever and little more challenging (don't you think?).

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 2:46 am

It is! It's just movies like Black Panther, and the new Charlies Angels for example, just seem to do it in a forced preachy way, which didn't gel with the plot. I like movies about deep issues and life lessons, but I want the filmmakers to make that deep movie, not an overall shallow movie, with trying to shoehorn the issues in onto a mediocre popcorn entertainment that cannot support those issues, if that makes sense?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 4:00 am

cyberdad wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Another example is Miss Marvel, the « Muslim superhero ».

Huh?

Google her.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamala_Khan

They refer to her by religion “Muslim superhero”!

Why spider-man isn’t referred as Christian superhero then?

:lol:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 4:05 am

Oh btw, Dark Elves will no longer be evil:

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updat ... tereotypes

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 6:00 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Another example is Miss Marvel, the « Muslim superhero ».

Huh?

Google her.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamala_Khan

They refer to her by religion “Muslim superhero”!

She could be an Indian superhero as there's plenty of Indian girls named Kamala Khan who wear a Salwar Kamiz

Kamala in sanskrit means lotus flower (has a deep meaning in Indian culture, just ask Kamala Harris :lol: )

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 12:19 pm

ironpony wrote:
Well what I don't understand is why they think people are snowflakes for not wanting woke movies, because the woke movement was born out of snowflakes who are prudishly offended by everything in entertainment, so I feel like they are one to talk about snowflakes when they can't handle non-woke entertainment themselves.

It's not that I cannot handle it, it's just it doesn't work when you force into the story. It's not us being snowflakes, we just don't like things that are forced in storytelling. That's not bad though, is it?

Since for years they have been mocked as being snowflakes, this is a chance to mock back.

Fragile people aside, living a life of constantly thinking and being tense about political subjects is bad for your mental health. If you have little choice because it is being constantly being forced increases chances for and deepens mental health problems.

Without making people uncomfortable by interruption change can not happen. The problem is overdoing it. They will say you have been enslaving us, killing us, discriminating against us for hundreds of years so f**k you and your discomfort.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 1:20 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Oh btw, Dark Elves will no longer be evil:

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updat ... tereotypes

Finally we'll be able to see the greatness goblinkind can achieve. I might be stereotyping but I'd suggest running to the fireproof bomb shelter now. :nerdy:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 1:23 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Without making people uncomfortable by interruption change can not happen. The problem is overdoing it. They will say you have been enslaving us, killing us, discriminating against us for hundreds of years so f**k you and your discomfort.

Generically speaking, what's more important comfort or basic rights? It would be nice if expansion of civil rights didn't have to disturb those who've already got theirs but it's not like the goal doesn't justify that cost, at least so long as the society in which it is occurring is strong enough to withstand it and not so fragile they respond with further repression.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 1:39 pm

My response is, if you don't want to watch anything featuring women/POC/LGBTQ, then go watch the thousands of other forms of entertainment that have been created for white cishet men.

When your world is built on privilege, equality feels like oppression.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 2:13 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
My response is, if you don't want to watch anything featuring women/POC/LGBTQ, then go watch the thousands of other forms of entertainment that have been created for white cishet men.

While for some seeing any white, male, cis, hetro actors is triggering, I am talking more about political messaging in formally escapist spaces. Of course they have often had political messaging in these places. If I was a head of a sports league I would propose ditching the national anthems, the prayer circles at the end of the games, as well the kneel downs. That is one of many reasons I am not the head of a sports league.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 3:12 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

While for some seeing any white, male, cis, hetro actors is triggering, I am talking more about political messaging in formally escapist spaces. Of course they have often had political messaging in these places. If I was a head of a sports league I would propose ditching the national anthems, the prayer circles at the end of the games, as well the kneel downs. That is one of many reasons I am not the head of a sports league.

What the hell is an "escapist space?"

And if you think movies, TV, comic books, and video games have been devoid of politics up until the last five years or so, you've deliberately buried your head in the sand. The only difference is that the "politics" being featured were more palatable to a white cishet audience.

And it's worth noting that just because a piece features a character who is not white cishet, it doesn't make it inherently "political," nor does the focus being on a white cishet character make something not "political." Frankly, I find much of this thread whiney and looking for reasons to be offended.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

salad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 3:43 pm

I decided to do more research on the anti-Arab hypocrite by the name of Bari Weiss and apparently this same Bari Weiss whose article started this hypocritical thread just so happens to be the biggest SJW, Cancel Culture proponent, and woke mob, only for Israel. Glenn Greenwald exposed her hypocritical ass below:

https://theintercept.com/2018/03/08/the ... ze-israel/

"fReeDoM oF SPeEcH uNdEr aTtAcK!! SjWs grrr grrrr"

Next time Jimmy if you want to make a thread about fighting the Woke generation dont use as your primary source the biggest opponent of free speech.

A simple google search on the identity of this Bari Weiss and all credibility to this thread just evaporated

Master Oogway

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 4:32 pm

salad wrote:
I decided to do more research on the anti-Arab hypocrite by the name of Bari Weiss and apparently this same Bari Weiss whose article started this hypocritical thread just so happens to be the biggest SJW, Cancel Culture proponent, and woke mob, only for Israel. Glenn Greenwald exposed her hypocritical ass below:

https://theintercept.com/2018/03/08/the ... ze-israel/

"fReeDoM oF SPeEcH uNdEr aTtAcK!! SjWs grrr grrrr"

Next time Jimmy if you want to make a thread about fighting the Woke generation dont use as your primary source the biggest opponent of free speech.

A simple google search on the identity of this Bari Weiss and all credibility to this thread just evaporated

Interestingly Bari Weiss is the source of the current campaign against Yale academic and psychiatrist Dr Aruna Khilanani from another thread. The pieces of the puzzle starting to fit together.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 5:48 pm

Reactionaries gonna react. :nerdy:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 6:48 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

What the hell is an "escapist space?"

And if you think movies, TV, comic books, and video games have been devoid of politics up until the last five years or so, you've deliberately buried your head in the sand. The only difference is that the "politics" being featured were more palatable to a white cishet audience.

And it's worth noting that just because a piece features a character who is not white cishet, it doesn't make it inherently "political," nor does the focus being on a white cishet character make something not "political." Frankly, I find much of this thread whiney and looking for reasons to be offended.

An "escapist space" is where medeocre cishetmales go to fantasize about being extraordinary cishetmales.

The idea that comics have ever NOT been political is hilarious. The whole premise of X-Men is accepting people who are different, and the consequences of fear. Spiderman's origin story is about the consequences of actions, and the sudden need to grow up into a much bigger world than you were ready for. Captain america literally fought, and fights, nazis. Batman was about using one's own privilege to help prevent the same thing that happened to him from happening to others, without expecting anything in return. Tony Stark stopped making weapons at the expense of his own wealth and power. Comics have always been political. It was just more convenient when the politics happened to align with yours.

Now that the politics are changing with the times, and no longer align with the old beliefs, the old guard feel like something is being "taken" from them, as though the comics belonged to them personally, and not the people who create them. "That's not MY superhero!" That was never YOUR superhero, skippy. These characters are not YOURS. They never were.

It's the same nonsense as when people whine about "politicizing" startrek, missing the point that trek has ALWAYS been political, all the way back to it's roots, when the network refused to hire Nichelle Nichols as a regular cast member, so Gene Roddenberry hired her as a permanent guest star instead (which made her more money than if she had ben hired as a regular cast member), and despite the network's insistence she only say things like "incoming hail" or "right away captain", Gene consistently gave her major lines, important roles, portrayed her as strong and competent, and gave her a segment to let her sing. Every series of trek has pushed the limits of social expectations.

Grumbling about "woke culture" seems to be little more than being offended that their beliefs are falling out of fashion.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 10:48 pm

But I think anyone would react to changes being made to a story, just because new producers felt like they needed to change with the times though, wouldn't they? Why not stick to the old politics of the story and keep fans happy, rather than new politics?