Page 9 of 53 [ 835 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 53  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2021, 10:24 pm

I bought one of the most racist books ever written from amazon years ago. Lent it to a coworker and never got it back, though. :/ It's banned in some countries.

I just checked to see if they still sell it.. no, not the exact book I bought. But there have been many different prints and revisions by different authors - so maybe the "same," book is still available - just with different footnotes.

And no, I didn't buy it for the racism. I bought & read it for the philosophy. It just Also came with a heavy dose of white supremacy - which is very unhealthy mind pollution.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2021, 10:33 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
How is what I said “Eurocentrism?”

It wasn't 'Eurocentric' given that all of the majority languages spoken in the Americas are the results of colonial settlement. :scratch:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2021, 10:50 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
And no, I didn't buy it for the racism. I bought & read it for the philosophy. It just Also came with a heavy dose of white supremacy - which is very unhealthy mind pollution.

Virtually anything published before 1960 is going to be problematic

binstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Mar 2021, 11:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Oh, I meant the US and Canada being the only two polities in the "New World" sounds like Eurocentrism.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2021, 11:15 pm

binstein wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Oh, I meant the US and Canada being the only two polities in the "New World" sounds like Eurocentrism.

It might sound Anglocentric but not Eurocentric. You know where Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch and French come from, right?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2021, 11:30 pm

cyberdad wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

It was first published in 1896. It's embraced by Satanists & white supremacists. Anton LaVey plagiarised it to write the Satanic Bible.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2021, 11:31 pm

The Incas, the Aztec, the Maya, etc. weren’t choirboys exactly.

They were militarily aggressive, and founded “colonies” and exploited them just like the Europeans.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 12:57 am

Just imagine how popular these Dr. Suess books will get now that they will be OOP. My brother owned one of them, I think he might still have it. Now everyone might want them now so it makes them worth more.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 2:59 am

goldfish21 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

It was first published in 1896. It's embraced by Satanists & white supremacists. Anton LaVey plagiarised it to write the Satanic Bible.

Fascinating! I watched a documentary on the influence of European supremacist cults on the European aristocracy of the late 19th and earl 20th centuries. These groups provided much of the theoretical basis for crackpot beliefs that made up early nazism. QAnon people could learn a thing or two how gullible white folk are.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 3:00 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The Incas, the Aztec, the Maya, etc. weren’t choirboys exactly.

Eventually they were no match small pox...or to borrow the title of Jared Diamond's book....guns, germs and steel.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 10:23 am

cyberdad wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Fascinating! I watched a documentary on the influence of European supremacist cults on the European aristocracy of the late 19th and earl 20th centuries. These groups provided much of the theoretical basis for crackpot beliefs that made up early nazism. QAnon people could learn a thing or two how gullible white folk are.

Not sure if the author was European born.. maybe. It (Might is Right) was written by an anonymous Chicago area Doctor, under the pen name "Ragnar Redbeard," and he was very clearly an incredibly well read man.. for the historical references throughout the book are plentiful. It was nice reading a version that had a lot of footnote explanations of things. The Might is Right/Survival of the Fittest philosophy stuff is fantastic.. but the white supremacy stuff is dangerous mind pollution - it's very cleverly crafted to alter your thinking & programming, truly. I read it for the philosophy not realizing the extent of the white supremacy throughout it in advance.. and then I can attest that it most certainly did influence my thinking about race things & took some time and effort to deprogram that crap. It's Very well written, and when you're reading something by someone who was Obviously very well read, it's easy to begin believing their personal opinions about things - it's like conspiracy theories where they sandwich some facts around garbage and the facts give validity to the garbage.

No regrets reading it. May even get another copy and read it again someday.. maybe - for the philosophy; it's very empowering. The biggest reason I wouldn't re-read it is to avoid whatever influence the race stuff could have that I'd then have to consciously undo. However, being older and more mature with a much better overall view on racism, maybe it wouldn't be able to influence my thinking about that stuff much.

This is the version I read based on reviews stating the footnote explanations were the best:

It truly is one of the best books I've ever read. There's a reason that politicians and military generals read it. It's Very empowering. But it's Also one of the worst books I've ever read and ever written.. because of the white is right component to it - it's some serious poison, and probably a big part of the reason it's banned in some countries. However, it may be banned more so because it preaches fierce independence (from government) & personal responsibility.. probably not types of thinking that collective societies want to encourage when group think & obedience are prized as methods to manipulate and control populations.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

17 Mar 2021, 12:12 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
but the white supremacy stuff is dangerous mind pollution - it's very cleverly crafted to alter your thinking & programming, truly. I read it for the philosophy not realizing the extent of the white supremacy throughout it in advance.. and then I can attest that it most certainly did influence my thinking about race things & took some time and effort to deprogram that crap.

That's fascinating and terrifying at the same time!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 3:18 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Just imagine how popular these Dr. Suess books will get now that they will be OOP. My brother owned one of them, I think he might still have it. Now everyone might want them now so it makes them worth more.

I agree. Never mind politics, when something becomes controversial, there is bigger demand for something.

We just thrive on controversy.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

binstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2021, 5:35 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
binstein wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

It might sound Anglocentric but not Eurocentric. You know where Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch and French come from, right?

When referencing "Western Civilization" (which is practically Old World+New World) usually, Latin America is left out.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 7:05 pm

OutsideView wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
but the white supremacy stuff is dangerous mind pollution - it's very cleverly crafted to alter your thinking & programming, truly. I read it for the philosophy not realizing the extent of the white supremacy throughout it in advance.. and then I can attest that it most certainly did influence my thinking about race things & took some time and effort to deprogram that crap.

Mhmm. I haven't read the Satanic Bible, but I do wonder if it may contain all the philosophy bits without the white supremacy stuff. Might be a better read for that reason, even though it's a plagiarized work.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 7:07 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
OutsideView wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Mhmm. I haven't read the Satanic Bible, but I do wonder if it may contain all the philosophy bits without the white supremacy stuff. Might be a better read for that reason, even though it's a plagiarized work.

There's nothing overtly white supremacist about it although it always gave me a similar vibe.