Page 37 of 53 [ 835 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 53  Next

helloyes96555
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Nov 2021, 7:21 am

Quote:
But there is no gulag in America. There are no laws permitting honor killings. There is no formal social credit system of the kind that exists right now in China.

It's called the credit score system and its a very real thing

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2021, 9:32 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
“If they think they are going to go back to the old ways of policing, then we are going to take to the streets again," Black Lives Matter's Hawke Newsome said. "There will be riots. There will be fire. And there will be bloodshed."
]

I would suggest that both the federal and state governments in the US haven't learned the lessons of the race riots of the 1960s, 70s, 80s or 90s.

I would posit they don't have the will or the political mandate from white voters to restructure/re-educate the police to be culturally sensitive. Until that's done there are going to be more Rodney Kings and George Floyds

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 9:03 pm

I feel that re-educating the police may not help though, because there are always going to be those bad apples, who are going to choose to be bad apples, regardless of what they are taught. Or is it possible with the right training, that an entire nation will not have any bad apples in the police for decades?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 1:36 am

ironpony wrote:
I feel that re-educating the police may not help though, because there are always going to be those bad apples, who are going to choose to be bad apples, regardless of what they are taught. Or is it possible with the right training, that an entire nation will not have any bad apples in the police for decades?

Probably not. It will take a few more generations and a little more redistribution of wealth for cultural change to occur in the police.

Instead of casually killing black people more police should be more like this officer

After all Love conquers all

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 9:34 am

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:

Probably not. It will take a few more generations and a little more redistribution of wealth for cultural change to occur in the police.

Instead of casually killing black people more police should be more like this officer

After all Love conquers all

All I see in the photo is a cop kissing someone. What's that got to do with not killing black people? I mean Derek Chauvin for example, probably kissed his spouse on his own time, most likely. That doesn't mean that if you kiss your lover, it's a sign of being a good person, is it?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 9:39 am

It's saying that cops should be more flexible when it comes to dealing with people.

That they shouldn't just "serve and protect" those who are "like" them in every way. They should also "serve and protect" those who are not "like" them.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 9:50 am

Well if this is a cop dealing with a person on duty, I don't think most people would want cops kissing them while on duty either, if that is what this is?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 10:05 am

Probably not.....but I don't believe the picture of the cop kissing that guy was meant to be taken literally. It was meant to be symbolic.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 3:03 pm

cyberdad wrote:

I would suggest that both the federal and state governments in the US haven't learned the lessons of the race riots of the 1960s, 70s, 80s or 90s.

Or the race riots of the 1900's, 10's and 20's. when these same things had happened before. This crap has happened every 50-60 years or so since the civil war. It's like a once-a-generation reminder that not much has changed yet.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 3:59 pm

uncommondenominator wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Or the race riots of the 1900's, 10's and 20's. when these same things had happened before. This crap has happened every 50-60 years or so since the civil war. It's like a once-a-generation reminder that not much has changed yet.

Actually the riots in the 1900s. 10s and 20s were instigated by local government and police. Police and state guards actively worked with armed vigilantes hunted down and killed innocent black civilians. In other countries that's called a crime against humanity.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2021, 3:30 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Probably not.....but I don't believe the picture of the cop kissing that guy was meant to be taken literally. It was meant to be symbolic.

I understand it was meant to be symbolic, it just comes across the wrong way, like a cop trying to show off his kissing ability or just showing off PDA, or something like that.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2021, 4:34 am

ironpony wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I understand it was meant to be symbolic, it just comes across the wrong way, like a cop trying to show off his kissing ability or just showing off PDA, or something like that.

Cops should love all their constituents. Only use lethal force until it's absolutely necessary

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2021, 4:35 am

But this guy in the picture seems more like a boyfriend or hook up buddy, rather than someone the police have to deal with a in a professional manner.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2021, 5:03 am

ironpony wrote:
But this guy in the picture seems more like a boyfriend or hook up buddy, rather than someone the police have to deal with a in a professional manner.

Husband and husband actually

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2021, 2:25 am

Oh okay, but if they are married, then I do not think this can be used as an example as to how the police should behave, because police officers are going to treat their spouses differently, than they would people in a more professional situation.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2021, 2:40 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, but if they are married, then I do not think this can be used as an example as to how the police should behave, because police officers are going to treat their spouses differently, than they would people in a more professional situation.

I mean "make love not war"

Protect and serve.