Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 9:43 am

GGPViper wrote:
Nades wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
If you lived in the early to mid 20th perhaps you would be less willing to take the risk that polio would not come back sans vaccine. I was not living then but my parents did and the fear and dread of that disease were equivalent to COVID. COVID has its "long-termers", Polio left people permanently very disabled.

I'm not doubting the effectiveness of vaccines but rather the implementation of them. The western world has done a fantastic job of using vaccines to eracicate a lot of illnesses from the developed world. The issue i have is that they seem to go overboard with the vaccines. Here in the UK, vaccinating all 14 to 15 year olds with a TB jab was abolished in 2005 because the disease became so rare. (Thank god, it was a painful jab and scarred eneryone who had it for life.....litterally) Getting rid of certain vaccines isn't really a danger if done correctly.

And who should decide if it is done "correctly"?

You?

No not me, Spiderman.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 10:45 am

There aren’t too many vaccinations after about age two. The bulk are before age 1.

I feel bad when babies cry, too.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 11:06 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
There aren’t too many vaccinations after about age two. The bulk are before age 1.

I feel bad when babies cry, too.

Same in the UK too though it appears we have a less intense vaccination schedule for babies. It's about 10 or 15 injections here. From then on it was TB at 14 to 15 years and MMR at 15 to 16 though the former has been pulled from regular use due it being no longer deemed necessary.

I have the feeling some boosters or jabs could be pulled from use in the West and instead efforts focused on the areas where the vaccines will be more needed and effective.

Polio like I said is weird. It was wiped out in the West 30 years ago and despite the virus clinging on to existence by its fingertips for decades in a relatively small geographical location no serious drive to permanently eradicate it has been made.

I think if more effort was put into countries where medicine is seriously lagging behind then some of the diseases that are vaccinated against in the gruelling needle marathons in the West might be kicked to the kurb.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Feb 2021, 3:07 pm

Nades wrote:
I have the feeling some boosters or jabs could be pulled from use in the West and instead efforts focused on the areas where the vaccines will be more needed and effective.

Polio like I said is weird. It was wiped out in the West 30 years ago and despite the virus clinging on to existence by its fingertips for decades in a relatively small geographical location no serious drive to permanently eradicate it has been made.

I think if more effort was put into countries where medicine is seriously lagging behind then some of the diseases that are vaccinated against in the gruelling needle marathons in the West might be kicked to the kurb.

You keep saying that, but it isn't true.

A HUGE effort has been made to eradicate polio. There is no issue with supply of vaccines. The issue is that many people in Afghanistan and Pakistan are very suspicious of Western healthcare. (This is a rare case of anti-vax sentiments being partially justified, as the CIA has used fake polio vaccination programmes to spy on terrorists)

Polio is currently delivered in a 6-in-1 shot, and later a 4-in-1 shot, which also vaccinates against conditions like tetanus and whooping cough. Removing polio vaccination from that shot would have no advantages and one significant disadvantage (reduced immunity to polio).

After the first birthday, the UK currently provides the following routine childhood vaccinations:

- Flu, annually for 2-10 year olds
- MMR second dose and a 4-in-1 for diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough, and polio (40 months)
- HPV (12 to 13 years)
- Meningitis, and a 3-in-1 for diphtheria, tetanus, and polio (14 years)

Diphtheria, polio, mumps and rubella are now rare in the UK - but aside from polio, they won't stay that way if we stop vaccinating against them. Meanwhile, vaccination against tetanus, whooping cough, meningitis, HPV, and measles is completely necessary - these are common but serious diseases that vaccination can prevent.

Even if we stopped vaccinating against diphtheria, polio, mumps, and rubella, children would still receive the same number of shots because those vaccines are presently given in combination with other vaccines.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 3:37 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
If you lived in the early to mid 20th perhaps you would be less willing to take the risk that polio would not come back sans vaccine. I was not living then but my parents did and the fear and dread of that disease were equivalent to COVID. COVID has its "long-termers", Polio left people permanently very disabled.

They have to live like this:

He depends on that machine to keep him alive, and he has to remain inside it, because his lungs won't support themselves otherwise.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 3:55 pm

Nades wrote:
Even Donald Trump said
You had me until you cited Donald Trump as an expert on anything. :roll:

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 4:23 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Nades wrote:

A HUGE effort has been made to eradicate polio. There is no issue with supply of vaccines. The issue is that many people in Afghanistan and Pakistan are very suspicious of Western healthcare. (This is a rare case of anti-vax sentiments being partially justified, as the CIA has used fake polio vaccination programmes to spy on terrorists)

Polio is currently delivered in a 6-in-1 shot, and later a 4-in-1 shot, which also vaccinates against conditions like tetanus and whooping cough. Removing polio vaccination from that shot would have no advantages and one significant disadvantage (reduced immunity to polio).

After the first birthday, the UK currently provides the following routine childhood vaccinations:

- MMR second dose and a 4-in-1 for diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough, and polio (40 months)
- HPV (12 to 13 years)

Diphtheria, polio, mumps and rubella are now rare in the UK - but aside from polio, they won't stay that way if we stop vaccinating against them. Meanwhile, vaccination against tetanus, whooping cough, meningitis, HPV, and measles is completely necessary - these are common but serious diseases that vaccination can prevent.

Even if we stopped vaccinating against diphtheria, polio, mumps, and rubella, children would still receive the same number of shots because those vaccines are presently given in combination with other vaccines.

The UK vaccination schedule isn't that bad really compared to other countries like the US. (Though I think we could also get rid of the tetanus aspect of any jabs too because it's also incredibly rare and can be mitigated against even without a prior vaccine) The flu jab to kids too? Why? Seems pointless to me. I don't know any kids in the UK that get flu jabs. I don;t remember getting any as a kid too. At least not between 2 to 10 years of age.

Other than that I think a lot of boosters also cause harm if given if an over zealous manner. Multiple boosters in one go isn't the best first impression of medical practitioners and it makes people more likely in the future to avoid anything that might involve a needle.

As much as people rip into Donald Trump he's right, giving a kid 4 or more injections in one go is how you treat a horse and a good way of damaging trust with doctors very quickly. A great deal of people are better off not having their boosters if it makes them terrified of needles as adults.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Feb 2021, 1:02 am

Nades wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Nades wrote:

- HPV (12 to 13 years)

The UK vaccination schedule isn't that bad really compared to other countries like the US. (Though I think we could also get rid of the tetanus aspect of any jabs too because it's also incredibly rare and can be mitigated against even without a prior vaccine) The flu jab to kids too? Why? Seems pointless to me. I don't know any kids in the UK that get flu jabs. I don;t remember getting any as a kid too. At least not between 2 to 10 years of age.

Other than that I think a lot of boosters also cause harm if given if an over zealous manner. Multiple boosters in one go isn't the best first impression of medical practitioners and it makes people more likely in the future to avoid anything that might involve a needle.

As much as people rip into Donald Trump he's right, giving a kid 4 or more injections in one go is how you treat a horse and a good way of damaging trust with doctors very quickly. A great deal of people are better off not having their boosters if it makes them terrified of needles as adults.

The child flu vaccine is a nasal spray, offered because children can suffer serious complications from flu and they can also spread it easily.

We don’t give kids four injections at once. After babyhood, we give up to two injections at once, but those injections contain protection for multiple diseases.

Do you have any evidence to make you think that reducing the number of vaccines offered would reduce fear of needles? It seems entirely plausible to me that it would make the problem worse - sometimes fear comes from unfamiliarity.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2021, 2:12 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Nades wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Nades wrote:

- HPV (12 to 13 years)

The child flu vaccine is a nasal spray, offered because children can suffer serious complications from flu and they can also spread it easily.

We don’t give kids four injections at once. After babyhood, we give up to two injections at once, but those injections contain protection for multiple diseases.

Do you have any evidence to make you think that reducing the number of vaccines offered would reduce fear of needles? It seems entirely plausible to me that it would make the problem worse - sometimes fear comes from unfamiliarity.

Well in my school the TB jab was a sticking point for many students when the time came for their MMR jab a year later. Many refused their MMR jab and I'm speculating this was because of the TB jab (which later turned out mostly useless and was discontinued)

This is mostly aimed at America too, the UK jab schedule has improved with the removal of TB jabs but America seems fine with multiple booster sessions in one go which makes people far less likely to accept the HPV jab years later....which is think is more dangerous at that age alone than the boosters. Being 2.5 times more likely to refuse a HPV jab years later after an unpleasant booster sessions is hardly a small problem in my eyes. Why just refuse HPV jabs too? Perhaps they refuse blood tests? Perhaps they'll refuse the covid jab. I think they can remove some boosters and actually save more lives in the long run.

The link to the study was posted earlier.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Feb 2021, 12:20 pm

Nades wrote:
Being 2.5 times more likely to refuse a HPV jab years later after an unpleasant booster sessions is hardly a small problem in my eyes.

Do you have any rigorous evidence as to the scale of the problem? Any evidence that reducing vaccination numbers would make people more likely to get them?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2021, 9:12 pm

One case of tetanus is too many.....

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2021, 4:42 pm

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2021, 6:24 pm

I can sympathize with some anti vaxxers. Usually those who had bad experiences with vaccines like for example they had a kid and they got injured by vaccines. I know people who were injured by vaccines and you got to remember it is really hard for the parents to see their kid get injured by vaccines, it is really hard for me to see as well and I am no parent. I am not going to beat around the bush because yes there are of course anti vaxxers who are anti vaxxers because they just want to disagree with everything.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2021, 6:30 pm

Think about what would have happened.....if we didn't develop the vaccine for smallpox, polio, diphtheria, whopping cough, rabies, tetanus, etc....

Just think about it.....

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 7:57 pm

I'm not anti or pro vaccine, but however I am against vaccinating babies and toddlers when they are extremely young like as in not even a year old. Because a lot of the times vaccines can injure kids when they are that young, and they should wait until they are older so that they can better withstand vaccines.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 10:27 pm

However in certain cases vaccines can worsen and trigger certain symptoms that can make autism worse. The whole vaccines cause autism just sounds so vague to be honest. You got to remember autism is very very complex.