Page 7 of 9 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 7:52 pm

An Australian fellow named Luke Towan, this guy is Good!
An Amazing Waterfall with a Secret – Realistic Scenery Vol.26

Quote:
Build a three-dimensional side view of earth! And if there are caves and waterfalls you can’t go wrong! Follow along as I step you through the process I used to build this awesome diorama.

For those of you wondering, this model is built in HO scale, HO scale is the most common scale used for model railroading. Most of the scenery I build is specifically for model railroading which is why I tend to focus quite heavily on the scale when building these dioramas.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 8:01 pm

I was just watching someone make their own railway.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2021, 8:14 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I was just watching someone make their own railway.

Gotta say, sometimes simply watching making is as fun and fulfilling as doing the making.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2021, 8:16 pm

Okay, after waiting since something like 2015 it finally got handrails, now it needs stanchions.

I was waiting to have a good design for the handrail stanchions before adding the handrails.

Yesterday I said, oh well, and made and added the railings anyway.
They are bent from 3/64 inch diameter brass wire.

It was a process of bend one, go rest, repeat, with my messy health and hurting hands doing what they do, that usually being getting in the way of progress.

The look satisfies me.

Ideas for the project coming slow enough that the 1st photo of it I uploaded to Flickr, after painting but before much in the way of detail changes, is dated October 15, 2016.
And, no, the cars behind it in that photo aren't finished yet either; still have to shape the roofs and design the doors.

Anyway, back to handrail stanchions ...

Stanchion design is disrupted by a part I was wanting to use not existing after all, K&S metals has 1/8 brass L but not 3/32.

1/8 inch is 3 inches in the 1/24 scale I'm calling this, and that seems too wide for a handrail stanchion & 1/16 would be too small for me to work with, so, 3/32.

Except there isn't either 3/32 or 1/16 brass L by K&S.

So, now it is wait for other ideas to develop.

(but maybe 1/8 isn't too big after all ...? I dunno)

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2021, 9:27 pm

Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is an exhaust stack ...

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1585149

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2021, 4:50 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Okay, after waiting since something like 2015 it finally got handrails, now it needs stanchions.

I was waiting to have a good design for the handrail stanchions before adding the handrails.

Yesterday I said, oh well, and made and added the railings anyway.
They are bent from 3/64 inch diameter brass wire.

It was a process of bend one, go rest, repeat, with my messy health and hurting hands doing what they do, that usually being getting in the way of progress.

The look satisfies me.

Ideas for the project coming slow enough that the 1st photo of it I uploaded to Flickr, after painting but before much in the way of detail changes, is dated October 15, 2016.
And, no, the cars behind it in that photo aren't finished yet either; still have to shape the roofs and design the doors.

Anyway, back to handrail stanchions ...

Stanchion design is disrupted by a part I was wanting to use not existing after all, K&S metals has 1/8 brass L but not 3/32.

1/8 inch is 3 inches in the 1/24 scale I'm calling this, and that seems too wide for a handrail stanchion & 1/16 would be too small for me to work with, so, 3/32.

Except there isn't either 3/32 or 1/16 brass L by K&S.

So, now it is wait for other ideas to develop.

(but maybe 1/8 isn't too big after all ...? I dunno)

Is that Sheriff Woody on the train?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2021, 2:31 pm

aquafelix wrote:
Is that Sheriff Woody on the train?

Indeed it is :D
My family name is Wood, and he's about the right size for the trains, therefore ...

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 7:16 am

That on left may be the first right-angle culvert I’ve ever seen.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/768852/

Quote:
Remarks & Notes
A formed Seaboard Coast Line GP38-2 leads Sunday's Gauley Trolley eastbound along the Kanawha River at East Bank, sporting back-to-back conventional cabs, a caboose, and empty hoppers for Alloy.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 7:43 am

Let's see if my body is good for making progress on a project today, it wasn't last week.
Not much has changed today but maybe just enough has.
:?
When the most recent round of economic impact stimulus money came out I spent a good chunk of it stimulating several hobby suppliers, which since I have no children and am not married and don't own a home, and my working days are over, and disability is my income, was an option.

What is in my head to do today is file and sand the molded detail off the crossing guard tower roof in preparation for adding aftermarket paper shingles.

Fine work like adding the shingles today is a thing my hands are not up to, but coarse work with files and sandpaper, yeah, that might be doable.
At least doable for a time.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 7:55 am

and after 5 minutes of effort, that's done and so are my hands, Ow! :(

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 7:57 pm

Hey, hey, hey, stimulus money model :D train buy arrived in mail today!

And, yes, I was planning alterations to it even before ordering it! :D
Including sawing some parts off.

Also plan to repaint its boiler jacket and domes from black to bare metal like actual B&O 0-6-0 in the following, had even mixed the paint before the stimulus money arrived :lol:
https://eriksenphoto.smugmug.com/Trains ... -nJ5FqsK/A
and
https://eriksenphoto.smugmug.com/Trains ... -s4dCnD3/A

True, the model and that one are different classes of 0-6-0, but that livery was applied to several locomotive types on B&O's roster.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 4:35 am

Quote:
Remarks & Notes DONE! White Pass Rotary Pilot Mike O'Daniel watches from the pilot house as the Rotary Fleet finally busts through the 10 foot high drift that was blocking the platform at Bennett Station in Bennett, BC. During the winter, strong winds off nearby Lake Bennett blow snow off the ice-covered lake, and it accumulates at the first obstacle, which happens to be this depot building. WPY Superintendent Ed Hanousek had predicted we'd see a deep drift here, and he was right on target. This last stretch of plowing was the first time I had ever seen or heard of a railway plowing a station platform with a rotary plow. It was quite a spectacle to watch. The goal of the 2011 Rotary Run was to get the line open all the way from Skagway to Bennett, a total of 40 miles. With the station platform now open, it was time to retreat back to Skagway, a journey that would take nearly 3 hours.

Although the plowing mission was now over, the day's activities were not. On the train back to Skagway, the railroad folks advised the photographers to go back to their hotels, get cleaned up, and show up at the main depot in downtown Skagway at 2PM for a little party they were throwing just for the train crews and photographers, so they could celebrate the plowing mission over some cold brews. It was a fantastic finale to 4 incredible days on the final frontier.”

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/769844/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 12:22 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 12:48 pm

Ohh that orange with pinstripes Alco FA on the New Haven is pretty!
The VGN siderod electrics are simply fun to watch going, like steam locomotives are.
There is some cool stuff in there! :D

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 2:08 pm

yeah. There is some more cool stuff on a vid about the Pennsylvania railroad that turned up on my Utube, but I cant find that "Pensy" video again right now. It will turn up again.

Yes the immediate post war period was a fascinating time to stare at the rails in the US. Steam locomotives were at their zenith in power and size...just as they were about to be replaced by the less powerful, but more economical, diesel-electrics. And all-electric locomotives were also being fielded as well. So you had this odd wide variety of competing locomotive types. There were even steam-electric locomotives in the LA area (that used steam to power an an board generator that ran electic motors that powered the train), and one steam-turbine locomotive in the northern plains (instead of pistons it ran on a steam turbine like a ship).

Though the locomotives, especially the steam ones, steal the show, even the plebian rolling stock - like red cabooses and box cars are fascinating to look at nowadays. Cabooses are no longer used on US freight trains at all. You only see cabooses as abandoned like haunted houses on sidings these days. Since the Nineties tiny computers are placed on the back of the last car that do all of the work that the human crews of cabooses used to do.

And even boxcars are less common than they used to be because of the container revolution (they simply stack shipping containers off of the ships, and onto flat cars rather than put merchandise into seperate box cars nowadays).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 2:10 pm

Some cool retro British steam power.

Love that art-deco look of some of the locomotives.