Page 6 of 9 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2021, 8:00 pm

Wrenn were fitted with tension lock couplings but also, they came with the old Peco type of couplings for those who wanted to use them.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 2:00 pm

Narrow gauge forestry railway in Russia. They used to have them in Britain as well though ours were horse drawn because horses could haul loads up hills as steep as 1 in 3.
The forestry lines were layed to where they were needed and when they were needed elsewhere, they simply picked them up and moved them. Sleepers were often thin tree trunks. All was very simple. This Russian line is a bit more on a grander scale then what we usually had in the UK for a forestry line, but it still is interesting.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 3:12 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
because horses could haul loads up hills as steep as 1 in 3.

Ya know, that's a thing I had never thought about the measurement details of.

But, yeah, if railroads/railways have a struggle on 1 in 33, then 1 in 3 is totally off the adhesion chart! :lol:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 8:27 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
because horses could haul loads up hills as steep as 1 in 3.

Ya know, that's a thing I had never thought about the measurement details of.

But, yeah, if railroads/railways have a struggle on 1 in 33, then 1 in 3 is totally off the adhesion chart! :lol:

Sorry. I was meant to put 1 in 4 because a horse has to pull the load as well. Much steeper can be done with rope worked inclines just for the steep sections.
The maximum gradient a locomotive can achieve that is not cable hauled is 1 in 3 with a rack railway but without a rack it is much less and it really depends on the locomotives traction and the weight it has to pull and the rails themselves.
A horse has the advantage that its feet can grip so consider a forestry railway. They often have pairs of tiny 4 wheel waggons which take a large log from a tree between them, so on very steep climbs, they would be taken up as a pair. The pair of waggons thus act like a single long articulated bogie waggon with its length dependent on the tree trunk length itself.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 8:29 am

Here is something interesting. T scale. T scale actually works but one needs a covering to delay the need to clean the track and those tiny wheels!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 8:35 am

Whilst T scale is the smallest commercially available scale they contains a motor, one can get smaller again if the whole train becomes part of the motor. Take a look at this...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 10:14 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Here is something interesting. T scale. T scale actually works but one needs a covering to delay the need to clean the track and those tiny wheels!

I like the cat watching down on the trains. That's how I want my God to look.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 10:35 pm

Glass top not only keeps the dust off, it keeps the cat from grabbing a train and running off with it!

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 11:03 pm

After waiting a couple years for crew figures the Pennsy 0-6-0 now has a fireman in place looking like he just put a scoop in the firebox and is starting to turn around to get the next.
Scraped paint off the apron for gluing the fireman's feet to, that will get touched up in a bit.

For some reason I made the apron for this one before/without shortening the drawbar between engine and tender to a more realistic length like I did the other 0-6-0.
I don't know why. And I'm not making a new apron because of shortening the drawbar, it stays as is.

Engineer is waiting for me to finish making his seat.

A firedoor detail part for the coal to go in to will get done later.
Also on the list for later are other boiler backhead details; some more coal for the tender; clear for the windows; a nice whistle casting; LED headlight and backup light.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2021, 7:00 am

Very nice. I did have a "Thing" where I did not want any little people on my trains or layout, but since I hit around about my mid to late 30's I have welcomed little people onto my trains, especially since I moved up a scale.
I used to do all I could to rid my toy cars of people, even chewing their heads off so I could not see them looking at me when I was younger!

The only issue I have is that people need to be painted and I could do with more paint, so most of the little people I have are in naked pinkish skin colour. I had wanted to pint some people black because I had thoughts on setting my railway on a ficticious island where the natives were black and the incoming pirates who had seen the error of their ways, converted to Christianity and wanted to bless the people by a narrow gauge railway but if I did paint the natives black, people can accuse me of racism so I don't know how I can get around this issue and set my railway in an interesting place. (I was also going to have the islands chief form of income being a desirable type of large fruit a bit like a round watermellon which was going to be carried on some of my waggons down to the harbour where the pirates old sailing ship was to be seen in the background having not moved for many years...).
We shall see...

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 8:59 pm

Checked mail while on way to do laundry and there were palm trees in the mailbox (technically, palms are not trees, they are more closely related to grasses than to trees, but 'palm tree' has become a language convention) two more packages are due tomorrow.
And the local grocery store had the perfect snack ...

Will take some flash trimming & other touch up but that will be easier on my body than scratchbuilding them and cutting out ✂ hundreds of leaves, fronds, or whatever the things are properly called.

And since even my human nose could smell the plastic of course the cat noses had to investigate the new smell when I got home from doing laundry.

For those who might be interested in making their own if your railroad's setting, or your miniatures games, should require palms, here are 3 videos of which I know,
https://youtu.be/4-9XwdK8pFk
https://youtu.be/SSKG9rcb_Y4
https://youtu.be/VQsNNu4IbAM

Okay, yes, are enough in there of sizes which will work nicely for HO scale.

Will eventually be a road between that line of palms and the stores plus a couple more stores. Wonder if using 2 or even 3 relatively close sizes of palms could create a bit of a 'forced perspective' effect from front to back?
Another thing being wondered is whether to make road narrower than it would be to scale, or, to make it a one-lane and one-way road.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2021, 6:54 am

Perhaps of interest?
https://www.railwayage.com/freight/women-in-rail-steam-that-is/

Quote:
The Strasburg Rail Road, America’s oldest short line railroad, honored International Women’s Day (March 8 ) and Women’s History Month by assigning its first-ever all-female steam locomotive crew.
Andrea Biesecker worked as engineer and Shelley Hall as fireman for all five round-trips on the 189-year-old Strasburg Rail Road, the 4.5-mile-long tourist and freight carrier in southeastern Pennsylvania. The runs took place on a cold and blustery Saturday, March 6, with No. 475, the same Baldwin-built 1906 former Norfolk & Western Railway 4-8-0-type that Biesecker qualified on in 2014.

Both women came to engine service through the railroad’s shop. Biesecker graduated from Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology in Lancaster, Pa., in 2009 and was hired as a machinist. She qualified as a fireman in 2012, and as an engineer in 2014. She said she is “honored to be the first female machinist, first female engineer, and now to be part of the first all-female crew.”

Hall was the railroad’s first female welder. She started in 2015 and qualified as a locomotive fireman in 2019. She said she “worked hard to become a welder and a fireman for the railroad. Working in a male-dominated field is not easy, and sometimes you have to work harder because it’s not a given that you know what to do because you’re a woman.”

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 7:58 pm

This could be a fun scene to model on a layout and see if visitors can deduce what is going on:

Quote:
"Training Day: A line of guide dogs in training is seen as NJ Transit Northeast Corridor Line Train 7828 pulls into Metuchen station on a Saturday morning. The dogs were brought to the station in order to work on making them comfortable with the sights and sounds of train stations, as many will likely be assisting visually-impaired people on public transportation in the near future. "

Even though it may be true that "where there's a will there's a way" I am not at all certain that classic motivational saying in any way applies to painting the first person's plaid shoes on a 1/87 or 1/76 scale model railway figure!! 8O

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/766063/

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 12:16 am

Now that is one of the most interesting switches/turnouts I've ever seen,

"Dundon, WV Station and junction with the Buffalo Creek and Gauley Railroad. 5/29/1960"

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2021, 3:06 am

I don't know if this would help with the club layout ...

Quote:
"“The Complete Field Guide to Modern Derailment Investigation” by Gary P. Wolf (Wolf Railway Consulting, 2021, spiral bound softcover, 436 pp., $75.00).

Derailments occur with some frequency on North American railroads. Whether it’s a wheel derailment in a switching yard or an entire train on a busy mainline, these accidents must be investigated, analyzed, and reported to various agencies. There is likely no one more experienced in derailment investigation than Gary P. Wolf. In addition to his 50-plus years in the railway industry, Wolf holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees in engineering. He worked for Southern/Norfolk Southern for 17 years, and 33 years in his consulting firms, focusing on the analysis and prevention of derailments. Wolf has also been a source of expertise for major media outlets reporting on derailments and has trained over 1,000 people in the science of accident investigation and derailments."

https://www.railwayage.com/mw/book-review/

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2021, 8:28 am

There is a book in Britain called "Red Is For Danger".

It is an interesting read. It describes some of the larger railway accidents and how they happened, and what was done to prevent them from happening again. The rules here are being constantly updated in an effort to avoid accidents and dilemmas from occuring.