There's only one way this can end

Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2021, 6:01 pm

I keep hearing stories about elderly people losing the will to live and dying soon after their spouses pass away. So what will happen to someone like me who never will have a spouse or partner when I reach that age?

And let's be real: eventually I'll reach a point when I'm too old to be able to work to support myself financially. What will happen to me then? I won't have the financial means to own a home or afford a nursing home. I won't have any children or family to take me in. I'll have nothing left to my name and nowhere to go. What will happen to me then?

The reality is inescapable: I'll eventually reach a point in my life where I'll have no viable options left to me but suicide.

Maybe I'll get lucky and a bus will hit me on my work tomorrow.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2021, 6:32 pm

Many men face the same dilemma. Try not to think about it.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2021, 11:46 am

I didn't know this was a thing. Even if you never have a romantic partner, connection with others in your life can help to alleviate such feelings. Suicide is not the only option.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2021, 3:56 pm

You will have a studio unit in a government funded senior citizen’s high rise, and by walking the outside area for exercise, eating in the dining room, watching TV in the rev room, you will meet many people and have more friends than ever before in your life!

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2021, 6:00 pm

Sylkat wrote:
You will have a studio unit in a government funded senior citizen’s high rise, and by walking the outside area for exercise, eating in the dining room, watching TV in the rev room, you will meet many people and have more friends than ever before in your life!

I hate to break this to you, but such accommodations are not free. They are only available to the people who have the financial means to afford them.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2021, 7:12 pm

I was under the impression that government funded meant ‘for poor Social Security recipients ‘. :(

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2021, 7:13 pm

dorkseid wrote:
Sylkat wrote:

I hate to break this to you, but such accommodations are not free. They are only available to the people who have the financial means to afford them.

Medicare+Medicaid and keep your fingers crossed for a Medicaid bed in a decent facility. But that's nowadays. Who knows what the world will look like in the coming decades.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2021, 7:33 pm

You're not even 40 years old yet, Dorkseid. Why are you thinking about old age?

I'm 60....I should be the one thinking about it :P

If you keep that same mindset, nothing good is going to happen for you. Because you're creating for yourself a "self-fulfilling" prophecy, and then you'll tell people "see, I told you so!"-----when it didn't have to be "so."

I see many self-respecting people of quite decent girth getting along in this world. It's not like you weigh 600 pounds or whatever.

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 9:46 am

Sylkat wrote:
I was under the impression that government funded meant ‘for poor Social Security recipients ‘. :(

Such facilities are poorly funded and residents are often abused and/or neglected.

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 9:49 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I see many self-respecting people of quite decent girth getting along in this world. It's not like you weigh 600 pounds or whatever.

300 lbs. is still quite a lot. I'm not as concerned with what people think of me as I am of my own health. I quite often feel the effects my excess weight has on my body.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 11:00 am

dorkseid wrote:
Such facilities are poorly funded and residents are often abused and/or neglected.

What is your evidence for this?

I have visited people in subsidized apartments and found them neat, clean, and structurally safe.

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 12:35 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
dorkseid wrote:

I have visited people in subsidized apartments and found them neat, clean, and structurally safe.

Was this in the US?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 1:24 pm

300 lbs is a lot of weight....true.

But if you start by walking around the block once a day, it would be beneficial.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

09 Feb 2021, 2:28 pm

Diet loses easier than sports, by cutting off some foods but not definite abstinence because it backfires and intermittent fasting which is very effective, and since you have a high storage, eating should be the last thing on your priority list.

What could distract you? Obsessions? Til you forget to eat

Hide\lock your food away so that it's hard and takes effort to get to it. And prolongs the amount of time to enforce abstinence

Sometimes I use some powder in water such as green barley that holds the place of a meal, my tummy doesn't recognize it as water for some reason. It comes with tons of nutrients.
Boiled cereal has a certain fiber that remains in the belly for longer and gets mushy and increases the fullness feeling, letting you feel s decreased need of eating as often.

Believe it or not im worried about old age myself. What im gonna do, end up on the streets with aching bones. Chilling to think about it. Plus my family tries to get such images in my head for the purpose of me being more successful in jobs. I just hope for the best.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 3:12 pm

dorkseid wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
dorkseid wrote:

Was this in the US?

Yes.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 4:08 pm

Rexi wrote:
Believe it or not im worried about old age myself. What im gonna do, end up on the streets with aching bones. Chilling to think about it. Plus my family tries to get such images in my head for the purpose of me being more successful in jobs. I just hope for the best.

I'm old and autistic. There are far more services to support the elderly than you might think. It sounds like your family has done a good job of brainwashing you to be full of worry; or perhaps they themselves are ignorant of the resources. Like many older adults, I am finding this time of life to be much more rewarding than most of my adulthood was. Of course, to take advantage of services that are available for the elderly and disabled, you do need to be adequately tuned in to read your email (or snail mail), pick up a phone to make an appointment, take your medications on schedule, and check in with a case worker or social worker. If you can't do those basics, yeah you are kind of at the mercy of staff and the ravages of time.