Autism and the Covid Vaccination: anyone been vaccinated?

Page 1 of 14 [ 209 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

Asple Pie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2021, 7:19 pm

There is talk about the vaccination becoming mandatory where I live and I'm terrified. I'm very sensitive to most medications and anything even mildly toxic. I'm sensitive in general. When I take medicines, I usually only need 1/8 of the recommended dose to work, if I take more I usually get bad side effects.

I think my sensitivity might be related to being autistic, but of course not every autistic person would experience this.

Please, if any of you have had the shot, would you talk about how it was, how it effected you, how long ago.

If you haven't had it, are you planning on getting it when it becomes available?

.... which explains why I've always felt a bit odd.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2021, 7:24 pm

Yes, I will get it.

BTW, vaccinations are not like drugs. However, if you are concerned, please speak to you doctor. Given you are so sensitive to medications, you should really figure out the risks of being vaccinated versus the medication you will need if you are infected with COVID. Vaccination my be the lesser of two evils.

Asple Pie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2021, 7:46 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
Yes, I will get it.

BTW, vaccinations are not like drugs. However, if you are concerned, please speak to you doctor. Given you are so sensitive to medications, you should really figure out the risks of being vaccinated versus the medication you will need if you are infected with COVID. Vaccination my be the lesser of two evils.

Thanks for your reply.
I think I already had covid, earlier last year. Mild flu like symptoms, not sure because tests weren't widely available. I took a few half aspirin and cold and flu tabs broken in quarters. It only lasted about a week or so. If I did get it, if I haven't already had it, I doubt I would become very sick.

Seriously, I'm much more concerned about a strange new concoction being injected into my body, without long term studies being done. I'm genuinely scared and I doubt my doctor would know anything about how it might effect me, this is brand new technology. This is why I'm asking here, I would like to hear from autistic people who have had the vaccine, to hopefully put my mind at ease.

.... which explains why I've always felt a bit odd.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2021, 11:48 pm

I would get the vaccine without hesitation. Once I get the vaccine, I can start looking for work.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 8:09 am

These RNA vaccines are designed to kick your body into a dramatic immune response. People with severe allergies, pregnant people, and some other conditions are not supposed to get the vaccine at all.

It is not a medication, true, but if you are very sensitive to other things, you might want to talk to your doctor. Then if the vaccine is mandated you may be able to receive it under a doctor's care and get them to observe you for a few hours to make sure you're okay.

(This is from my neurologist and my son's allergist)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 2:56 pm

I WISH I could get the vaccine.

I'm probably months away.

Even my 86-year-old mother hasn't gotten her vaccine yet.

DIVAIR
Raven
Raven

09 Feb 2021, 4:34 pm

I am very med sensitive as well, but as stated before, this is not a med. If you are not 100% certain you had it already, then that is not proof enough. The data we have on this virus isn't clear, science is uncertain, but it is believed that you can get it multiple times, especially with the new mutations. So if you haven't had it, you might be kicking yourself if you do get it while you are suffering or worse...

There is a lot of very deliberate misinformation being spread to undermine our national security... What some people don't realize, the ones who are against vaccinations, is that by not getting inoculated they are helping to make these diseases much more drug resistant, and the way in which this particular virus keeps mutating we only have a small window in which to act. The most terrifying thing about it is that it attacks the weakest point of your immune system, or else maybe that its severity is dependent on your initial viral-load.

Please do a search for "herd immunity", that will help you understand why it's important that well all get inoculated.

From my understanding it's the second dose that makes you feel rundown for about two days after, but please consider the alternative!

DIVAIR

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 4:44 pm

I know several people who have had the first part of a two part jab
my parents had there's last Friday

They felt a little groggy the same day but that was it
they are now fine

i know of someone who has had their second jab, which was given 6 weeks after the 1st
although others are supposed to wait up to 12 weeks for second jab

he said the second jab knocked him out for 24 hours
but recovered fairly quickly after that

so all good

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 5:01 pm

I had it just over 6 weeks ago.

Injection at 0800hrs and my arms started aching almost immediately. By 1200hrs I had a headache, muscle fatigue and nausea - all of which continued for 24hrs. Just after 1200hrs the next day the side effects began to quickly fade and by around 1330 had completely gone. I then felt fine.

For the past three weeks I have been in confirmed COVID heavy environments at least six times and have not become infected. I carry out a lateral flow test every Monday and Thursday.

Not looking forward too much to the second vaccination mid March but will be having it.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 5:15 pm

I think it possible that Dr Griffin's clinical report (This Week in Virology #710) might be a source of useful information : Dr Griffin's experience from receiving the Moderna vaccine and the collected experience of patients and scientific and medical colleagues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5lVi6t-a5w
https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-710/

two links to the podcast.

DIVAIR
Raven
Raven

09 Feb 2021, 5:32 pm

Asple Pie wrote:
Seriously, I'm much more concerned about a strange new concoction being injected into my body, without long term studies being done. I'm genuinely scared and I doubt my doctor would know anything about how it might effect me, this is brand new technology. This is why I'm asking here, I would like to hear from autistic people who have had the vaccine, to hopefully put my mind at ease.
[/quote]

This is exactly the type of fear-mongering that is being disseminated so that people become afraid of everything. This is not "brand new technology", it's based on very sound scientific principles, theories and laws if you will, but don't ever confuse a theory with relative-speculation. The way gravity works is a theory, we don't know how it works, but we can see how it effects things: the Earth being flat is speculative, it's based on ignorance, and yet the world looks flat if you walk outside.

At some point, the Polio-vaccine was, as you put it, "brand new technology", but now the virus that causes Polio is no longer found in nature. I'm glad we have "brand new technology" and the intelligent people that are willing to create it for us, instead of waiting while things worsen as we wait for a scientific Prince Charming who is perfect. Hindsight is always 20/20, and it's oh so easy to say, "See, I told you so..." after the fact!

DIVAIR

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 5:56 pm

Psst, it's a gooberment plot to cure autism.

DIVAIR
Raven
Raven

09 Feb 2021, 6:17 pm

BWA-HAHAHAHAHA! :D

DIVAIR

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 7:17 pm

I know someone who had 8-hour symptoms (weakness, fever) with the first shot----but no symptoms at all after the second shot.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 8:06 pm

Having some side effects after your shot is a good thing because it's your immune system kicking in and becoming partially familiar with the virus without actually having to get the virus.

I do have a phobia of vaccines ever since that scare I had when I was a kid when my parents were ordered not to let me have a vaccine because it might "make my Asperger's worse" - whatever that means. Ever since then I've always been afraid of having any vaccines in case I might become a different person.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2021, 5:07 am

Fortunately that particular scare turned out to be unfounded, the perpetrator discovered to have been dishonest and his co-athors retracted their; involvement with the paper which started the scare.

For WP nemberscinbthe UK and US I heartily recommend the ZOE covid symptom study app and the data which is coming out thanks to the near 5 million users.