Autism and the Covid Vaccination: anyone been vaccinated?

Page 5 of 14 [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 10:23 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Are both you and your wife fully vaccinated, Jimmy?

We have both received our second dose of the mRNA vaccines. I had Moderna. My wife had Pfizer. It takes two weeks after the second dose before the body builds up a full immunity. So we have a little less than 2 weeks to go before we can eat indoors in a restaurant and feel fairly safe.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 10:27 pm

Joe90 wrote:
What exactly are the side effects with the second dose? If it involves vomiting and diarrhea then count me out. I'm a serious emetophobe here. And saying "I'd rather vomit than get COVID" doesn't help.

In general the side effects are as follows:

* Pain, redness and swelling in the arm where you got the shot.
* Throughout the body, one might experience tiredness, headaches, muscle pain, chills, fever or nausea.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2021, 1:30 am

jimmy m wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

We have both received our second dose of the mRNA vaccines. I had Moderna. My wife had Pfizer. It takes two weeks after the second dose before the body builds up a full immunity. So we have a little less than 2 weeks to go before we can eat indoors in a restaurant and feel fairly safe.

If this means that the immune system is familiarising itself with the virus then why are the vaccines not working? At least not in the UK. If they were then we still wouldn't be in lockdown and they wouldn't keep talking about a "forth wave".

I feel like the government knows something we don't and I just can't help but feel cynical.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2021, 8:51 am

Joe90 wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

If this means that the immune system is familiarising itself with the virus then why are the vaccines not working? At least not in the UK. If they were then we still wouldn't be in lockdown and they wouldn't keep talking about a "forth wave".

I feel like the government knows something we don't and I just can't help but feel cynical.

I'm not sure that it's time to conclude that the vaccinations aren't working when, as of 3/11, only 34.9% of the population in the UK has been vacciinated.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 1:07 pm

My bride and I got Pfizer shot #2 this morning.

Just like with shot #1, the worst part is the parking garage. My bride likes to use that garage when she has medical appointments so she drove...so the hardest part for me was, after the shot, making up my mind as to what snack to buy from the vending machine. (That is, the vaccine process and shot were easy!)

Now, in April, I can start returning to my old lifestyle. First task is to find out which fast-food joints survived the pandemic.

I already know my favorite KFC location did not survive the pandemic! :(

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Mar 2021, 2:52 pm

I got the first dose of Moderna last week, when my city opened vaccines to those with disabilities. We have our own health department who has been ahead of the rest of California and the county in getting the vaccine out, so they got a week's head start on the rest of the state in vaccinating people with disabilities and other conditions. I should get an email before April 6th to schedule my second dose. In the end, the only thing they actually asked for was proof of residency, so I just used my driver's license. The only side effect I had was a sore arm that lasted for a day, but I'm fine now. I did have something with me saying I was on the spectrum, which qualified me, but nobody asked to see it.

At least now when I do get called back to work, I'll have been fully vaccinated since the only thing I've heard is that the latest we can go back is June. My guess is that now that more of us are getting the vaccine, we could go back sometime in April at the earliest. Even then, I still plan to wear a mask and keep social distancing for as long as necessary.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 3:14 pm

Got the vaccine today (Pfizer). Hurt less than I thought it would.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 6:30 pm

Got the first dose yesterday (Pfizer). My shoulder was hurting overnight but was already better by the morning. No other effects.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 7:52 pm

Side effect???

I am mildly allergic to tree pollen.

Yesterday and today however it appears I reacted strongly to tree pollen. Today is milder than yesterday but I still feel cold and completely wiped out--with a minor fever. Yesterday I was shivering a lot!

I hope this is not the new normal for me.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 8:11 pm

I had the AZ "Oxford" vaccine and felt rough for a couple of days. But then I have Type 1 Diabetes and anything like that affects me more than most.

Had the jab around 6pm, felt fine all evening, woke up at 4am feeling really sick. Drank lots of hot water to settle my stomach, and eventually got back to sleep.

Next day I had typical fever symptoms and a mild headache. Maybe I am weird (no, really!) because I actually found the warm, sleepy, spaced-out feeling quite nice.

Talking to my neighbours since, the general feedback here is, the AZ vaccine has more side effects on the first jab but the second one isn't so bad. Pfizer generally has no side effects with the first dose but can trigger some with the second. Even if you're unlucky they're no worse than a bad cold / mild flu and only last a couple of days. Definitely better than catching Covid-19 itself!

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 8:19 pm

I got my first shot two weeks ago. It didn't make me any more autistic.

Or any less autistic, for that matter...

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 8:35 pm

Getting my second Moderna shot next week. My arm was sore for a couple days but other than that I was fine.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 9:36 pm

Got my second dose on Friday (Pfizer).

I'm tired and sore.

Other than that , my TV and internet are currently down. Must be the 5G waves from the microchip. /s

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 9:39 pm

I already got mine last month. I got it for free because Oregon has them that were about to expire so they were just giving them out to people like candy. I had to go to Salem for it though.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 11:14 pm

Still waiting to get my first.
Might still be a while yet; Aus rollout has been slow.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 11:18 pm

Haven't gotten mine yet, I'm still on the fence. Too many mixed messages about which vaccine is safest/most beneficial for Long Haulers to get, and they can't even decide if people who've already had COVID only need one vaccine, or if they need both (and if they should avoid JNJ).

I'm not against getting vaccinated, I'm just hoping they'll finish some of their studies soon. I'll probably get tired of waiting before then and just pick one.

Double Retired wrote:
Now, in April, I can start returning to my old lifestyle. First task is to find out which fast-food joints survived the pandemic.

I don't know of any that shut down, but be prepared for them to tell you that every item in your order has been "discontinued".
We still get it delivered every once in a while, and it seems like all of my favorite menu items are gone now.