Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Feb 2021, 2:46 am

Hey! I've been lurking here occasionally since I was a teenager and now in my 20s I seriously think I am autistic, or if not that, neurodiverse in some other way so I figured I would make an account. I relate quite a lot to the stories of aspies who were undiagnosed until adulthood, especially people who mask well. Basically, I am able to socialize but only because I got really good at mimicry, you know? But I still feel estranged from people even when I put up a social front. I have made one attempt at getting diagnosed so far, but the psych didn't seem to be listening to me and just wanted to shove me out the door with some pills. I have spent quite a lot of time thinking about this, and family members agree that I have autistic traits or even brought up childhood behaviors which seem classically autistic. Still self diagnosed atm, maybe I can find a better psych in the future.

Anyway, I have attempted to try and get more meaning from my hobbies because my employment is less than fulfilling. I love film and have started really trying to get myself educated on the history of it. I'm currently on a self assigned project to teach myself film history from 1878 (kind of proto-film back then) up until the present day. Right now I'm at the year 1897. I also like some video games like Arma or especially the original Thief and Thief II from the 90s. I also like fantasy and have been developing my own fantasy world since I was in my early teens, which has undergone several major overhauls but has stayed fairly consistent for several years now. Maybe I can publish something presentable about it down the line. Otherwise I like goth music like Siouxsie and the Banshees, synth tunes, folk music and medieval/ancient history.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 10:22 am

Oh well. I found your post in the "Hello. I'm James." thread before I found this thread. Sorry! A lot of my response is here.

One thing that is not in my earlier response: Hi! Welcome to WP!

Gaffer Gragz
Toucan
Toucan

09 Feb 2021, 1:51 pm

Greetings and welcome to WP

I'm into deep history anywhere it applies.
Btw there are bits of pre-photograph stuff when researchers did work on light that are useful, the most astounding around photography I think is holography. It feels like someone has broken the rules in a way :D

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 3:19 pm

welcome. I love your username.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 6:11 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Feb 2021, 1:49 am

Thanks for the thoughtful reply on the James thread Retired! I've actually taken several assessments online including the Autism quotient. I consistently score in the autism range, but on the low end. I'm really good at masking. I can hold down a job and do small talk. I don't have obvious dysfunction, but can point to several struggles in my life that I think most people find easy. I just need to wait a bit before I have money free for another attempt.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2021, 10:33 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2021, 10:53 am

MidnightRose wrote:
I've actually taken several assessments online including the Autism quotient. I consistently score in the autism range, but on the low end.
First, I have to emphasize that I would be a terrible person to ask for a diagnosis. On my 64th birthday I had not even heard of the Autism Spectrum and by my 65th birthday I was officially on it.

But you getting scores in the low Autism range reminds me of something that could add an additional complication for you.
:roll: Sorry!

My understanding is that the symptoms at the low end of Asperger's Syndrome overlap the symptoms at the high end of ADHD. See, for instance:
 - Mango Clinic: Decoding the Overlap between ADHD and Asperger’s Disorder
 - Medical News Today: What is the difference between autism and ADHD?
 - Dr. Kenneth Roberson: Do You Have Asperger’s or ADHD?
The good news is that with Asperger's, ADHD, both, or neither you are still welcome on WP! 

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Feb 2021, 1:48 pm

I considered that I might have inattentive presenting ADHD until I learned more about autism. I have many of the social problems of autism, nothing too severe, but instead having to learn the social behaviors others find instinctual. I have issues dealing with loud noises, which were worse when I was a kid. I lack the impulsivity supposedly common in ADHD and I like low stimulus environments and focusing on one thing at a time for extended periods.

I never had trouble, for example, listening to a teacher in school for an hour. But I didn't like my loud and distracting peers. I get that people with ADHD can also hyperfocus, but I just don't have focus problems. Except for sometimes being in my own head too much.

Gaffer Gragz
Toucan
Toucan

10 Feb 2021, 1:58 pm

MidnightRose wrote:
I considered that I might have inattentive presenting ADHD until I learned more about autism. I have many of the social problems of autism, nothing too severe, but instead having to learn the social behaviors others find instinctual. I have issues dealing with loud noises, which were worse when I was a kid. I lack the impulsivity supposedly common in ADHD and I like low stimulus environments and focusing on one thing at a time for extended periods.

I never had trouble, for example, listening to a teacher in school for an hour. But I didn't like my loud and distracting peers. I get that people with ADHD can also hyperfocus, but I just don't have focus problems. Except for sometimes being in my own head too much.

I can relate to all you tell here. I would maybe add that I get 'lost' in my own head, so to speak.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2021, 2:39 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. MidnightRose . :D

where ever you go ,there you are

Gaffer Gragz
Toucan
Toucan

10 Feb 2021, 4:38 pm

Jakki wrote:

oh, grate scott. Jakki, are you aware how profound your 'quote' is? I get a tear in my eye every time I see it
(Sorry I'm of topic)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2021, 4:49 pm

With any luck, following this link will show you a couple of distinctive symptom differences between ADHD and Asperger's Syndrome.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2021, 7:33 pm

Gaffer Gragz wrote:
Jakki wrote:

oh, grate scott. Jakki, are you aware how profound your 'quote' is? I get a tear in my eye every time I see it
(Sorry I'm of topic)

Thank you Gragz...... when I stumbled upon it , I felt the same way . :D

where ever you go ,there you are

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2021, 8:54 pm

Welcome aboard, MidnightRose! Image

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2021, 6:49 am