Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Pricelessppp1
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Feb 2021, 12:32 pm

Why do people love to guilt trip people because they have certain religious beliefs like they’re Christian & someone calls someone a idiot for following that faith? But then they say they believe in freedom of religion. It’s like they’re hypocrites. Why do people act like this & should I be ashamed of my faith?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2021, 12:38 pm

It is called "Virtue-Signalling" (a form of hypocrisy), and it is used to make oneself feel better or look better to others by shaming someone else.

Luke 18:9-14 (NLT)

Parable of the Pharisee and Tax Collector

[9] Then Jesus told this story to some who had great confidence in their own righteousness and scorned everyone else: [10] "Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a despised tax collector. [11] The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer: 'I thank you, God, that I am not like other people -- cheaters, sinners, adulterers. I'm certainly not like that tax collector! [12] I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.'

[13] "But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, 'O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.' [14] I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."

The Pharisee was engaging in virtue-signaling.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2021, 12:52 pm

When someone goes on about repentance, that to me is a form
Of manipulation and abuse! An attitude of superiority too. No one should ever say go to hell or tell someone to repent. It’s up to that individual if they have a conscience or need to repent and god.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2021, 1:03 pm

People who try to guilt trip others about not being religious, or for not following the same denomination of their religion, are also irritating.

I don't care how many people in my personal life tell me it "hurts them" that I'm not a Christian, my beliefs aren't up for debate and I personally view religion as outdated (but don't care if others are religious). Telling me to "read a bible" and that I'll "know the truth someday" won't change that.

People should just leave others alone about their beliefs. It doesn't matter to anyone else or affect anyone if someone is religious or not religious.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2021, 1:06 pm

There are cases in which it does matter, though. And that's when religion is a factor in real world behaviour.

Freedom to practice the religion of your choice means you won't face persecution, and it is illegal to persecute you for your religion. Which is something I agree with.

But Religions tend to have a lot of supernatural aspects, scientific inaccuracies, problematic rules - all justified by even more supernatural stuff.

Some of the scientific insccuracies are also leading down dangerous routes, for example when certain radical religious people think climate change is a hoax because God wouldn't do something like this to his creation.
Other religions use their God(s) to justify slavery or highly unjust social orders, and yet others mistreat their women, because their god(s) told them to do so.
I don't agree with that.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2021, 1:11 pm

Why do religious people like to guilt trip people who don't go to church or have faith or don't have a religion?

I have dealt with this crap from religious people and religious people wonder why atheists make fun of religion and religious people?

It's come to a point where I now say "look, I don't care if you go to church or believe in god, I am not going to tell you what you believe in nor lecture you about god so I expect the same from you about my own religion as well."

Because I really don't care if someone believes in god. I don't feel threatened by it so why do they feel threatened by those who don't believe? I never even knew religion was a big deal and a strong topic until I was 17. To me this is all still alien because I don't understand why I should even care and why should I feel threatened if someone believes or doesn't believe? I don't feel threatened by religion either. If you were to tell me you are (insert your religion) here, I would be like "oh" and move on. Not make a big deal about it. Or if you were to tell me "We met at church" about your spouse or friend and I would be like "oh nice." I am not threated by anyone going to church either. Because I do not understand why this should be my concern and why I should be threatened by it. To me it's a harmless activity and doesn't affect me. I get some people might go because of charity and free childcare, great way to meet people, maybe they are interested in religion, maybe they get free counseling that way. Churches sometimes offer free services for their members. It wouldn't surprise me if there are any atheist's that attend church. Maybe they do it for a friend or for free benefits or to be social.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2021, 2:59 pm

How 'Timely', Per the topic of 'Religious Guilt Tripping';

Just Got Back From A Blog Home of A Master's

Degree Holder in Mathematics With a Home

In Chicago And Miami, in Other

Words, He didn't Just fall

off a 'Turnip Truck' in

'The Deep South States'

Where i Live, Particularly in
the Panhandle of Florida, the Place

Where Trump Jeered on "Shoot Them At the Border"

Yes, Among The Christians In the Mob of Folks Gathering

As Such As Sadly Acted on in Ignorance at the Capitol Recently;

Surely Wrong of Right, Directly on Topic Now As That Was Supported

Both in the Name of 'Saving Jesus 2020' And Trump Too Same Two

Characters of the Same Old Demagogue Play As Portrayed At least for Real

That Day on 1.06.2021...

Anyway, Religion Is
What Bonds and
Binds Folks together

For Basic Subsistence Survival;

Ideals and Symbols Thereof, Where

Only Human Imagination (which is no limit)

Determines What Roads are Traveled Next; the Group Think That
Bonds This Way to Gain the Social Contagion Oxytocin Neurohormone
of Warm and Fuzzies, Even Over Fear and Hate of Other Folks Not
Part of the Group Believe as Such, The Religion indeed, by the way

The God And the Starring Quarterback, the Best the Same May Be Seen

As

'Tom
Brady'

Or Whoever

comes Next

to Be crowned As Such

In Whatever 'Super Bowl'

Among Religions Competing
Against Each Other Are going on...

Welcome to the Tribal Nature of Human
Being, Particularly in Areas of Socio-Economic
Scarcity Where Bonds Are Often Around Competition

And Winners

Or Losers

For the

Basic

Territories

And Subsistence
With Shelters and LoVE iN
Life to Survive and Perhaps thrive too..

Anyway, Back to The Dude Who Sadly Fell
To The Conspiracy Theories that have Recently
Been Supported And Or Ignored in Church With

All the Blind eyes to the Disaster coming with
Donald J Trump... That Dude Tried to Guilt
Trip me into Repentance When i suggested

God Is Love

The Kingdom

Of God Is Love

Within to Give and

Share Free For All

With Least Harm;

Yes, He Suggested

i Was Gaslighting Him

With the Simple Words His

So-Called Reported Savior Reports

in A Book; Yet All He Could Focus on

Is Me Repenting for what i said about

Love; Lest i go to Get Tortured Forever in Hell...

Okay, i realize that is a Conspiracy theory; as no
Loving All Forgiving Anything is gonna Demand
Worship And Torture Anything Else Forever as

Agape Love Doesn't Do that;

Love Always

Forgives;

No Exclusions;

Never Needs Worship Agape

Love is Complete Within Over

Flowing Always Now Eternally

With Giving and Sharing Free For

All With Least Harm for All Now

As Only Narcissists, Malignant;

As such, Empty Within Demand

Worship From Others Under Penalty

of their Wrath; Classic Meme 'Trump'

Through And Through; Same thing

With the Mr Hyde Bad Cop Version

of Jesus that's Easy to Justify in a Same

Book That Says God Is Love Where Agape Love

Is for

all

and

no Smaller

God than Love For

All; All Forgiving and

Ya Dam Straight Now A

Lion Doesn't Kneel and

Neither Do i to Lesser God's Than

'Nature of the Beast (Love)'

Sure i say

Thank

You

Or
No

Thank

You...

my

Mama Raised

A Gentleman, No Trump...

Love is Real that Much is True....

However, So is Fear and Hate; So

iS iGNoRaNCE That Harms, Rapes,
Maims, Kills; Ya Can't Expect to Remain

As 'Silence of the

Lambs' And

Expect

to Survive

in the Long Term

If Ya Don't Roar A Bit

When Folks are gonna obviously Be

Harmed By Ignorance coming; too many

People Are Silent; and True Guilt and Shame

is How Humans Keep the Society in Whatever

Shape the Society Decides to do; Heaven Or Hell;

Now Humans Will Imagine or Create In Nightmares and Dreams same;

Thing is, We are in New

Territory now

Never

Experienced

Before Where Each

'YouTube Channel'

Has Been Ripened for

'Alex Jones' or 'Obama; Choose your Poison or Truth...

Everyone Knows Who Those Two Are; It's hard to tell Who 'Jesus;

is, these days at least.

Hanging

From a

Banner

By A
Noose
to Justify

Just Another

Ignorant 'Holy Crusade;

As Indeed Turning the Other

Cheek this way Will be the Eventual End of This Country...

All Human Emotions Serve A Purpose for Survival of the Species

As Evolved; Guilt Tripping Ain't Going Away; And Again, turning

the other Cheek Now in some instances spells eventual real doom

As Generally Speaking the Leaders of the Republican Part are Guilty of as i speak...

Yet They Are

Showing no

Shame

As Their

True Masters

Are Their 'Minions'...

As This Is How A Democracy Rules

From the Bottom Up; Also A Grand Danger

Of a Democracy that Requires A Solid Constitution

Of Laws to Protect; Hmm, So Far it is Barely working

Now; Yes, Ironically Credit Freedom of Speech online

For Endangering the Safety of it all; Freedom and Safety;

A Balance

Required

For Justice

For all; Continuing

Life, Liberty, and Pursuit

of Happiness For All With Least

Harm; We Are Basically the Same

Classically Evolved Humans As

Before the Days of Agriculture

Came; The only

Thing Preventing

Heaven or Hell

We Create

Are Indeed

The Ideals and

Symbols We Bind

And Bond Around; ALL the

Stories We Create That Make

Our Human Condition What it is;

in this Way, All the World is a Stage

And Humans Create the Plays And Make

The Characters

What And

Who We

Are Now;

Fascinating

Indeed, All Directed

By Human Emotions

And Senses First through

Our Reptile Brain, And Limbic

System First; the Donald Trump

Meme definitely is Case Study Evidence

For this Reality That Science Shows is True Now as well;

First, we Must Master our Emotions and Senses in Bio-Feedback

In Some Meditative Way for Control of Flow Otherwise We are gonna

Sink with

the Rest

of the

Ship oF iGNoRanCE

That Doesn't Understand

Humans are not Rational At

Core, Falling Asleep While the

Emotional Ones Take Control....

Story Rules Humans Always Fueled By Senses/Emotions First;

Those Who Rule 'the Within' Have it Much Easier in the 'External Parts' of Life...

Change
The 'Environment'
To Hell And Most
Folks won't escape....

Learn From History...

Swim or Sink Again for Real....

For Now at Least, A Greatest

Danger is 'Silence of the Lambs'

Who No Longer Understand A Value oF A Roar....

Did Ya Hear it

From 'the

Capitol'...

Do Not Doubt

the Power of the

Dark Force; iT ain't

Never Going away as along as we are classically Evolved AS Human now...

And Ya Gotta Master the Shadow Parts to Survive in the Longest Runs Now..

It Takes A Force of one; Every Set of Eyes of the Entire Group, Culturally to Evolve,

Together More Towards Love...

Folks May Bond

And Bind

In A Greater

Way For Love;

And Yes i've Been

Able to Find Places

This Actually Happens

Now Where the Only Religion is Love;

It's Truly Like Heaven; Yet A Place with No Sun or Moon...

Unless

ya Bring

Photos/Videos ALong on A 'Trip'...

One way to Escape, 'Trump Town USA'

Originally Labeled AS 'Hell' By Nickname Real...

A Place Where Folks Roam Unmasked Without Shame;

Even Celebrating Christmas And Mardi-Gras Without

Social Distance in the Middle of a Deadly Pandemic...

True in the

Name

of

"Jesus

Christ" too..

Who Is 'that Guy';

i don't Seem to Remember
'Him' THiS Way from 'His
Story'; Yet all of Life is an
'Ink Blot' too; From Heaven
to Hell Now For Real We Breathe

Stories

Are Always Changing...

Nothing Is our Own, Yet our LiFE NoW...

And For me at Least; Yes, i BREaTHE LoVE Real

Don't Mind Virtue Signaling it all At all, When Real,

As i am

no

Silent

Lamb Now...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2021, 3:13 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Why do religious people like to guilt trip people who don't go to church or have faith or don't have a religion?

I have dealt with this crap from religious people and religious people wonder why atheists make fun of religion and religious people?

It's come to a point where I now say "look, I don't care if you go to church or believe in god, I am not going to tell you what you believe in nor lecture you about god so I expect the same from you about my own religion as well."

Because I really don't care if someone believes in god. I don't feel threatened by it so why do they feel threatened by those who don't believe? I never even knew religion was a big deal and a strong topic until I was 17. To me this is all still alien because I don't understand why I should even care and why should I feel threatened if someone believes or doesn't believe? I don't feel threatened by religion either. If you were to tell me you are (insert your religion) here, I would be like "oh" and move on. Not make a big deal about it. Or if you were to tell me "We met at church" about your spouse or friend and I would be like "oh nice." I am not threated by anyone going to church either. Because I do not understand why this should be my concern and why I should be threatened by it. To me it's a harmless activity and doesn't affect me. I get some people might go because of charity and free childcare, great way to meet people, maybe they are interested in religion, maybe they get free counseling that way. Churches sometimes offer free services for their members. It wouldn't surprise me if there are any atheist's that attend church. Maybe they do it for a friend or for free benefits or to be social.

I deal with this all the time. It's very irritating to listen to religious people complain about atheists and act like we are immoral and evil. There are certain people that I can't even imagine telling I'm atheist because I fear they may cut off contact with me or become aggressive towards me.

I also don't agree with atheists being rude to religious people, but I also can't say that I don't know where a lot of them learned that behaviour from. I used to be like that when I was younger because I had my beliefs challenged so much and told I was wrong, so I started to do the same to others.

Livetop
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Feb 2021, 8:41 pm

Pricelessppp1 wrote:
Why do people love to guilt trip people because they have certain religious beliefs like they’re Christian & someone calls someone a idiot for following that faith? But then they say they believe in freedom of religion. It’s like they’re hypocrites. Why do people act like this & should I be ashamed of my faith?

I think its due to insecurity. Any religious system that is works based probably unintentionally motivates the insecure to compare themselves to others, etc. The funny thing is that even though Jesus didn't come to start a religion, there are many different christian religions supposedly doing what Jesus wants them to do even though they are all doing different things. My odd view of life.

Livetop
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Feb 2021, 4:47 am

This is a really good question that started the thread I am still thinking about it after I wake up.
This time I'm going to approach it from perspective of what does the bible have to say about this.
Jeremiah 17:9 The heart [is] deceitful above all [things], and desperately wicked: who can know it?
The core issue is that people do not know what lies in their own heart. So when they encounter religion or anything else for that matter they go with what they are good at doing or what doesn't reveal their faults and use others as scapegoats. They see weaknesses in others but they are blind to those same weaknesses in themselves.
Even Jesus saw this as a problem.
Matthew 7:3-5
3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? 4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam [is] in thine own eye? 5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
People do not have compassion for others until life lessons teach them what is in their own heart. The most difficult people to be around are NT religious people who don't know the depths of wickedness in their heart. I go the church and experience them every week. I pass out tracts - religious messages. My favorite experience was passing out tracts with an atheist. He was really a nice person who was totally turned off by religion. He had some bad experiences with religious people tearing up his sign and other things. Still we talked and one day I stood with him. He had his sign saying God doesn't exist and I was passing out my tract about about God. That confused the religious people to no end. God is not threatened by people who don't believe in him. Why should I be threatened by people who don't believe in God?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 5:29 am

Pricelessppp1 wrote:

I can think of several reasons:
* It may be that they are insecure in their faith, and are looking for "validation" - If they can have someone agree with them, it helps them confirm they have made the "right choice".
* It may be that they feel strongly about their religion, and want to let others know about it, feeling it will "help" those others as it has helped themselves.
* It may be that this is a tenet of their religion, where they are "required" to go out into the community and try to spread their faith to others.
* There may be something in their religion related to what occurs after a person dies, and having strong belief, wish to try and prevent this occurring to another person.

Any of these possibilities could apply to members of a range of religions\faiths\sects (Atheistic\monotheistic\polytheistic\Agnostic).

Similarly, it is possible to "evangalize" a given belief system, yet still believe in "freedom of religion" - They are not forcing you to believe as they do (although, maybe they are trying too hard to "persuade" you) or punishing you should you disagree with their personal belief system\elect to not follow it - There is no compulsion that you must follow their religion...

As to being ashamed of your faith: If you believe it fulfills your "needs", there is no reason to be ashamed. If you feel there is something lacking, it is a personal choice whether to continue looking either within or outside your faith for what is missing - Only you know what is right for yourself. Following what someone else tells you is no guarantee you will end in a better place than you may already be in, so take your time, should you decide to look elsewhere, and look carefully.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 5:41 am

Pricelessppp1 wrote:

Well, I don't guilt people, but I do see religion as a folly.

Religion is an emotionalistic philosophy, designed to satisfy the emotional needs of people.
I don't have a problem with that as long as the people who indulge don't interfere with my self-actualisation process.

It can also be a means of control.
"Religion is the opiate of the people."
*That* I have a problem with.

Meh.
Live and let live, is my motto.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 5:47 am

Fnord wrote:
It is called "Virtue-Signalling" (a form of hypocrisy), and it is used to make oneself feel better or look better to others by shaming someone else.

Are you saying *every* religious person thinks like that?
That would be the same as me saying *all* progressives are sanctimonious, self-righteous, virtue signallers, but we know that isn't true, either. 8)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 7:08 am

Pricelessppp1 wrote:

For the same reason that religious folks shame atheists, and that religious folks of one sect shame religious folks of another sect, and so on.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 1:08 pm

Pricelessppp1 wrote:

I don't get it either. So long as you're not hurting anyone, you can believe what you'd like within reason.

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 11:07 pm

The problem with beliefs is that they inform actions. Christians don't just go to church and say grace before supper. They lobby for laws that discriminate against the LGPTQ community and minorities, force creationist myths into science classrooms, and spread policies that are damaging to the environment.