Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Asple Pie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Feb 2021, 4:32 am

I hate my user name and want to change it, but realize I can't. So I changed my nickname, and set my profile to display that. But it keeps displaying my user name.
How do I change my display name to my nickname?

.... which explains why I've always felt a bit odd.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 11:50 pm

The nickname displays on the WP main site. Not here on forums unfortunately.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 1:14 pm

According to the "you must read this before you post" thread you are not allowed to have two accounts. It might be possible to close one account and open a new one - of course you would use your "points" (however they are calculated). But then you would be able to get rid of the name you hate.
You might want to post before you leave saying what you are doing and why, then post when you return with a new name saying you are the new you.
I have been reading about PGP / GnuPG which is about encryption, but one of the absolutely key concepts for encryption to work is "identity". A similar suggestion was made - if you create an private PGP key and use it to sign a secondary sub-key you can then use the secondary key as your identity. If you decide to abandon your identity (your key) you can create a cancel using the original master private key. You can then create a second sub-key (again using the original master key) and start using that as your identity. When you do you loose your "points" (in the form of the number of people in your network of contacts who have signed your original identity key).
But if you hare your original key (perhaps because it has been cryptographicly compromised) you can still change it.
In that case you can verify that the new "self" key is the same self as the new "self" key by having them sign each other, and letting people know.
Only a wrongplanet Forum Moderator could say if this option is allowed on wrongplanet for sure.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 1:53 pm

Just reading the FAQ.
FAQ says you cannnot change your user name.
FAQ says you cannot delete an account either.
Something about ... if you delete an account then it makes a mess of every thread which has a post or response from the user who was deleted. Even the moderators cannot and will not delete an account.
Huh.
Shows that I am still an "Emu Egg".

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

25 Feb 2021, 5:24 pm

OP, please just rejoin with a new name and PM me from that new name to let me know who you were.

Fenn - overthinking! :wink:
The member name itself is the immutable identity. Everything else follows from that.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 5:58 pm

Cornflake wrote:
OP, please just rejoin with a new name and PM me from that new name to let me know who you were.

Fenn - overthinking! :wink:
The member name itself is the immutable identity. Everything else follows from that.

The PHP code to show the display name instead of the username is quite trivial, actually. Or so I think anyway.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

25 Feb 2021, 6:05 pm

Yes, PHP is pretty trivial but unfortunately the site code is no longer under development; it's best regarded as WYSIWYG, I'm afraid.