“Do not resuscitate” orders given to UK learning disabled

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2021, 11:36 am

Fury at ‘do not resuscitate’ notices given to Covid patients with learning disabilities

Quote:
People with learning disabilities have been given do not resuscitate orders during the second wave of the pandemic, in spite of widespread condemnation of the practice last year and an urgent investigation by the care watchdog.

Mencap said it had received reports in January from people with learning disabilities that they had been told they would not be resuscitated if they were taken ill with Covid-19.

The Care Quality Commission said in December that inappropriate Do Not Attempt Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (DNACPR) notices had caused potentially avoidable deaths last year.

DNACPRs are usually made for people who are too frail to benefit from CPR, but Mencap said some seem to have been issued for people simply because they had a learning disability. The CQC is due to publish a report on the practice within weeks.

The disclosure comes as campaigners put growing pressure on ministers to reconsider a decision not to give people with learning disabilities priority for vaccinations.

There is growing evidence that even those with a mild disability are more likely to die if they contract the coronavirus.

Although some people with learning disabilities such as Down’s syndrome were in one of four groups set by the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) which the government promised would be offered the vaccine by tomorrow, many were classified lower categories of need and are still waiting.

NHS figures released last week show that in the five weeks since the third lockdown began, Covid-19 accounted for 65% of deaths of people with learning disabilities. Figures from the Office for National Statistics show that the rate for the general population was 39%, although the two statistics are drawn from different measurements.

Younger people with learning disabilities aged 18 to 34 are 30 times more likely to die of Covid than others the same age, according to Public Health England.

A lack of badgering is part of the reason why people with learning disabilities may be more likely to die from Covid-19 than the rest of the population, according to Dr Keri-Michèle Lodge, a consultant in learning disability psychiatry in Leeds.

“Doctors often don’t understand that someone with learning disabilities may not be able to communicate their symptoms,” she said. “Carers are sometimes not listened to – you might notice something is wrong, but that is often written off as part of their behaviour.

“People with learning disabilities already get a raw deal from the health services. Fewer than two in five people with a learning disability live until they are 65.”

An analysis by the Office for National Statistics last week showed that six in 10 Covid deaths were of people with a disability.

“The biggest factor associated with the increased rate of death from their analysis was living in care homes or residential settings,” Lodge said. “They prioritised people in care homes for vaccinations, but that was only for older adults. They completely forgot about people with learning disabilities in a really similar setting. I don’t know if the government were blindsided or just neglectful.”

A spokesperson from the Department of Health and Social Care said: “It is completely unacceptable for ‘do not attempt CPR’ decisions to be applied in a blanket fashion to any group of people. This has never been policy and we have taken action to prevent this from happening.

“We have asked the CQC to undertake a review of notices issued during the pandemic. This review has started and will report later this year. As this proceeds, we will continue to work across the health and care system to address the issue.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2021, 2:19 pm

You cannot be serious. Absolutely disgusting.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2021, 3:13 pm

Shouldn't individuals have some say in this kind of thing?

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2021, 3:18 pm

And some people wonder why I don't go anywhere anymore. The UK is an unsafe place to be different.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2021, 3:23 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Shouldn't individuals have some say in this kind of thing?

Sometimes they might not be able to communicate their desire but that doesn't mean you should immediately give up on them or deem them a lost cause. If they REALLY can't communicate, then give the authority to someone close to them. But ONLY if you're sure.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2021, 7:31 pm

NaturalEntity wrote:

I wish I was not serious.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2021, 10:34 pm

This is very backwards, old school and very 1930s of them. This is absolutely disgusting.

Eliza_Day
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Feb 2021, 4:28 pm

I think that most people would be in favour of this because those who are learning disabled are considered useless and a drain on society.

In the last twelve months society has become more divided and hateful, which has given already bigoted people a more prominent platform to voice their nasty uninformed opinions.

It will only get worse.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 2:12 pm

I despise eugenics, but some of the stats in the article sound Extremely sensationalized to me, particularly the death rate via COVID numbers.

Also the homeless population (Globally afaik )is full of learning disabled humans, and they are not dying of covid, or even showing symptoms, (and at least one shelter In USA had a bunch of positive tests with little or no symptoms.)

Edit - after further review other issues popped up fast.

For one thing, these eugenicists, They have done social engineering to make their critics sound crazy

And I just found out they pay dr Phil 88 mil a year to make crazy people sound evil, and I don’t just mean his auties as brats bs.

Arm thyself for hipsterwars folks.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 5:06 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56435428

Quote:
Around a third (180) were still in place in December.

So, these very inappropriate DNAR directions, meaning, Do Not Attempt Resuscitation, were mainly at the beginning of the Pandemic.

But 180 of them were as late of December, and some of them probably later.

Okay, as a Yank asking about UK politics . . .

Wouldn’t this be in the areas covered by the Home Minister, and ultimately, the Conservative Party government led by PM Boris Johnson?

And there’d be a senior Labour Party member acting as Shadow Minister, right?

And once this is brought out to the light of day, it’s going to be hard to view it as anything other than a grave mistake and a huge abuse of rights, no matter who has formal oversight.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 12:09 am

The_Znof wrote:
I despise eugenics, but some of the stats in the article sound Extremely sensationalized to me, particularly the death rate via COVID numbers.

Shenanigans shenanigans shenanigans

Took them [nearly] a year to fix their little blunder

Document first published:18 May 2020
updated:13 May 2021

On 30 July 2020 the incorrect file was accidentally uploaded in relation to this data. An internal review has been completed and steps taken to prevent this happening again. You can read further information on the UK Statistics Authority Website

I haven’t confirmed that explains the death rate issue, but regardless, this is a sloppy article with sloppy sources, A year to fix this s**t! :jester: :P

[and let us see if I beat the so called guardian to this]

Last edited by The_Znof on 19 May 2021, 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 12:34 am

NaturalEntity wrote:
You cannot be serious.

Okay, so, it isn't February any more.
the thing was/is serious enough for Parliament to publish this about it,
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/j ... /26514.htm
"Published: 21 September 2020"
Quote:
Health and Care

7.In order to prepare for further waves of Covid-19 or future pandemics, the Government must take steps to ensure that the allocation and prioritisation decisions and policies relating to the provision of PPE are evidence-based and non-discriminatory. (Paragraph 72)

8.The blanket imposition of DNACPR notices without proper patient involvement is unlawful. The evidence suggests that the use of them in the context of the Covid-19 pandemic has been widespread. The Court of Appeal has previously held that there is no legal requirement for the Government to implement a national DNACPR policy. However, the evidence suggests that the absence of such a policy has, in the context of the pandemic, led to systematic violation of the rights of patients under Articles 2 and 8 ECHR. The systematic nature of this violation means that it is now arguable that the Government is under such an obligation. Whether or not the events of the pandemic have changed the nature of the Government’s legal obligation, we consider it would assist in the protection of patients’ Article 2 and 8 rights if the Government did now set out such a policy. Such a policy should make clear, amongst other things, that DNACPR notices must never be imposed in a blanket fashion by care providers; the individuals must always be involved in the decision-making process, or where the individual does not have capacity, consultation must take place with persons with an interest in the welfare of the patient. It is not clear whether the documents promised by the Secretary of State will meet these requirements. (Paragraph 76)

9.We are concerned that decision-making relating to admission to hospital, in particular critical care, for adults with Covid-19 has discriminated against older and disabled people. We are also concerned that decisions made to support the capacity of the NHS to provide care for patients with Covid-19 have been made without adequate consideration of the impact on particular groups of others whose treatments have been cancelled or postponed in consequence. The Government must ensure both that clear national and local policies are in place to govern prioritisation of healthcare provision during a pandemic, and that those policies do not discriminate unlawfully. (Paragraph 83)

10.The decision to reduce care provision to certain individuals is a very serious matter, particularly in circumstances where care needs may have increased during the pandemic. The Government must justify its reasoning for the continuation of the powers to trigger easements to social care provision, and they must only continue if absolutely necessary and proportionate. (Paragraph 89)

11.If this power (which has barely been used thus far) is to continue beyond the six-month review period, the Government should issue specific guidance about meeting human rights standards in the discharge of obligations under the Care Act 2014 and develop guidance as to the content required of human rights assessments. (Paragraph 90)

12.The Government must ensure that local authorities and care providers are able to meet increased care and support needs during and resulting from the pandemic. (Paragraph 91)

13.We question whether removing vital protections for children was a proportionate response to the challenges posed to the children’s social care system by Covid-19. The Government must justify its reasoning for the continuation of these powers, and they must only continue if they can be shown to be absolutely necessary and proportionate. (Paragraph 94)

14.The very high number of deaths from Covid-19 in care homes is a matter of deepest concern to us and engages the operational duty to secure life (Article 2 ECHR). The causes behind it are complex and we have not been able to devote the necessary time and attention to address them fully in the context of this report. It is, however, imperative that they be interrogated thoroughly in order to meet the state’s procedural obligations under Article 2. We urge the Government to ensure that addressing the issue of Covid-19 related deaths in care homes is dealt with as a priority in any inquiry or review they undertake (see chapter 9 below). (Paragraph 97)

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 1:24 am

NaturalEntity wrote:

If my hunch is correct, the tip of the iceberg is an understatement.

There may have been a genocide of so called learning disabled in the Uk, and the only press it got was twisted to hype fear, so it’s easy to miss the genicide, for those outside the UK.

If I hadn’t been reading about how bad it is there just before this,

For now this is unspeakably disgusting, I need a break from this thread

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 1:44 am

Wow, another way of doing genocide.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 9:48 am

May as well keep the genocide and torture in one thread, cuz it’s a bummer

Patients died from neglect, not COVID-19, in Ontario LTC homes, military report finds: ‘All they needed was water and a wipe down’

Quote:
The allegation of deaths because of dehydration is “not only troubling but potentially criminal,” Amber Irwin, a spokeswoman for Long-Term Care Minister Merrilee Fullerton, said in an e-mail on Sunday.

According to figures published by the provincial government, 3,762 long-term care residents in Ontario have died of COVID-19. But no one is tracking the number of fatalities from other causes during the pandemic.

Read more https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theglob ... s-at-two//

Sorry bout my tek fail, posting on a cracked phone can go to heck

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 10:42 am

Seen this first hand in the UK in a care home

A relative had severe dementia the home decided to restrict all water to him and we all visited him, his immediate family watched him slowly die over 3-4 days.

This is all legal I understand it’s called the “Liverpool pathway” I believe.

- George Bernie Shaw