Australian Conservative party staffer sex assault cover up

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 1:26 am

cyberdad wrote:
It sounds like it might have been coercion since she has asked the police to re-open the case
https://www.news.com.au/national/politi ... 5d2afa6ff9

I don't think it was 're-opened'.
I think it was 'opened', according to this link: https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6232586721001
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 1:45 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
It sounds like it might have been coercion since she has asked the police to re-open the case
https://www.news.com.au/national/politi ... 5d2afa6ff9

I don't think it was 're-opened'.
I think it was 'opened', according to this link: https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6232586721001
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Hard to tell (seems a deceptive choice of words, though)...From the original link:
Quote:
In a statement this afternoon, Ms Higgins said she has re-engaged with the Australian Federal Police and “will proceed with a formal complaint regarding the crime committed against me in what should be the safest building in Australia”.

“By publicly coming forward with my experience in Parliament House, I’ve sought to achieve two things,” she said.

“Firstly, I want a comprehensive police investigation into what happened to me on 22/23 March 2019 and for my perpetrator to face the full force of the law.

“The Australian Federal Police have made assurances to me that they will handle this matter thoroughly and transparently. I would also ask that they handle it in a timely manner as to date, I have waited a long time for justice.”

Taken in plain language, it seems she may have spoken with the federal police at some point, but no investigation was launched (or she didn't wish to press charges) - hence the "she has re-engaged with the Australian Federal Police".

Given she is now, according to the article, simply requesting "a comprehensive police investigation into what happened to me on 22/23 March 2019 and for my perpetrator to face the full force of the law", with no mention of reopening a past investigation (In fact, she states she "will proceed with a formal complaint" which suggests she declined to do so previously, and so no investigation would have been opened), nor indication that she wants to find out why it wasn't pursued in the past, it appears there was no investigation initiated during prior contact with the federal police, nor was one expected by her at that time, so there is nothing to "re-open".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 4:50 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
It get's worse....

in addition 4 women disclosing rape (so we are dealing with a Harvey Weinstein/Cosby type predator working for the conservative coalition party but now members of the coalition have been caught deleting facebook posts where members of the party claim Brittney Higgens was asking for it turning to be raped up to work dressed in tight little outfits as below

Coalition is in damage control pretending they didn't say that stuff :roll:

If that is true, that is outrageous.

However, I find that hard to believe they could be so stupid.
What is the evidence?
I won't jump to conclusions.

Having said that, I don't have a high regard for politicians.

Sorry I forgot to add the link
https://www.news.com.au/national/politi ... 196e786de6

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 4:58 am

Brictoria wrote:
Given she is now, according to the article, simply requesting "a comprehensive police investigation into what happened to me on 22/23 March 2019 and for my perpetrator to face the full force of the law", with no mention of reopening a past investigation (In fact, she states she "will proceed with a formal complaint" which suggests she declined to do so previously, and so no investigation would have been opened), nor indication that she wants to find out why it wasn't pursued in the past, it appears there was no investigation initiated during prior contact with the federal police, nor was one expected by her at that time, so there is nothing to "re-open".

In this instance its possible the wording was distorted as its hard to believe she would ask for the case to be re-opened. But given the liberal party likely shut down her assault, drycleaned the office where the rape took place and quietly dicharged the staff member who committed the rape suggests a certain amount of planning involved to avoid the fallout just prior to a federal election. Higgens felt complelled to come out later given she felt justice was not done.

This reminds of Dr Christine Blasey-Ford who like Brittney Higgins did not initially go to police but felt compelled to go the police later to report supreme court appointee Brett Kavanaugh. Likewise she didn't exactly ask for the case to be "re-opened" but it amounts to the same thing. The GOP also did a clean-up to minimise the fallout.

Again your pontification over the wording is irrelevant. The way it was handled by the party is the issue.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 5:02 am

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
It get's worse....

in addition 4 women disclosing rape (so we are dealing with a Harvey Weinstein/Cosby type predator working for the conservative coalition party but now members of the coalition have been caught deleting facebook posts where members of the party claim Brittney Higgens was asking for it turning to be raped up to work dressed in tight little outfits as below

Coalition is in damage control pretending they didn't say that stuff :roll:

If that is true, that is outrageous.

However, I find that hard to believe they could be so stupid.
What is the evidence?
I won't jump to conclusions.

Having said that, I don't have a high regard for politicians.

Sorry I forgot to add the link
https://www.news.com.au/national/politi ... 196e786de6

I am tired, but if I understand things correctly, it was posts made by members of the public, outside the Liberal party, who made the offensive remarks and it was the Liberal Party staff who were removing them.

No political staffer/parliamentarian would have been so stupid.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 5:14 am

I take your point that the comments were posted by pro-Liberals on the Libs facebook page. But the Libs didn't take action to take down the comments until it was made public

https://www.news.com.au/national/politi ... 986e656bbe

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 5:21 am

cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

In this instance its possible the wording was distorted as its hard to believe she would ask for the case to be re-opened. But given the liberal party likely shut down her assault, drycleaned the office where the rape took place and quietly dicharged the staff member who committed the rape suggests a certain amount of planning involved to avoid the fallout just prior to a federal election. Higgens felt complelled to come out later given she felt justice was not done.

This reminds of Dr Christine Blasey-Ford who like Brittney Higgins did not initially go to police but felt compelled to go the police later to report supreme court appointee Brett Kavanaugh. Likewise she didn't exactly ask for the case to be "re-opened" but it amounts to the same thing. The GOP also did a clean-up to minimise the fallout.

Again your pontification over the wording is irrelevant. The way it was handled by the party is the issue.

I am sure Brictoria will also mention that the fact there was no case opened initially *is* relevant.

Unless it is somewhere else and I haven't read it, it may have been Brittney Higgin's decision not to pursue charges, of her own volition.
She may not have been coerced into remaining silent.
It may simply have been a decision she regretted later, but, of course, she is entitled to changer her mind.

If the above speculation is correct it has *huge* ramifications in terms of improper behaviour on the part of the staffers, in *this* instance.

Now, the other question to consider is whether or not the PM was informed about the incident or did his minders decide not to bring it to his attention, which is another 'can of worms' to be considered.

This is why I don't jump to conclusions. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 5:28 am

Pepe wrote:
It may simply have been a decision she regretted later, but, of course, she is entitled to changer her mind.

It seems strange then that the Libs own members are asking for Linda Reynold's to be sacked over the handling of the incident.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-21/ ... e/13173526

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 5:28 am

cyberdad wrote:
I take your point that the comments were posted by pro-Liberals on the Libs facebook page. But the Libs didn't take action to take down the comments until it was made public

https://www.news.com.au/national/politi ... 986e656bbe

As I have said, I am tired, so I didn't read the entire article, but this is telling:
Quote:
The Liberal Party has scrambled to delete a series of disgraceful comments made on their Facebook page, blaming former staffer Brittany Higgins for her own alleged rape.

I doubt that staffers would be reading every post that is written in real-time.
Ask the mods here how it works. ;)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 5:30 am

Pepe wrote:
As I have said, I am tired)

Past your bedtime ?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 5:31 am

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:

It seems strange then that the Libs own members are asking for Linda Reynold's to be sacked over the handling of the incident.

Falling asleep here. lol

Didn't read the article but the problem might be that the PM wasn't informed.
Perhaps this is why some are baying for political blood?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 5:32 am

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
As I have said, I am tired)

Past your bedtime ?

No.
I just didn't get much sleep last night. :?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 5:37 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Falling asleep here. lol

Didn't read the article but the problem might be that the PM wasn't informed.
Perhaps this is why some are baying for political blood?

No worries...you being tired is make me feel tired.....

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 8:44 am

I don’t understand how someone could have seen her in a ‘state of undress ‘ without her knowing that they saw her.
If someone was in the room when the man attacked/assaulted,began to even forcibly undress her to rape her, wouldn’t a normal person stop him?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 6:10 pm

Sylkat wrote:
I don’t understand how someone could have seen her in a ‘state of undress ‘ without her knowing that they saw her.
If someone was in the room when the man attacked/assaulted,began to even forcibly undress her to rape her, wouldn’t a normal person stop him?

That's one of the things under investigation. Also why did the security guards seen her in a state of undress alone in a room after hours and not attend to her welfare?