Australian Conservative party staffer sex assault cover up

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 3:10 pm

This story is currently making international news
Former federal government staffer Brittany Higgins has accused prime minister Scott Morrison of employing “victim-blaming rhetoric” which is “personally very distressing to me and countless other survivors” of sexual assault.

Morrison on Wednesday insisted he and his office only learned recently of the disturbing allegations made by Higgins. She says she was assaulted by a colleague on a couch in then-defence industry minister Linda Reynolds’ ministerial office in March 2019.

The former adviser, who has said she was made to feel as though pursuing a police complaint after the alleged rape would end her career, expressed fury on Wednesday that she was only learning key details via media reports rather than from colleagues in the aftermath of the alleged attack.

Trauma like mine doesn’t have a gender. But too many men need to imagine a woman they love to feel empathy
“I didn’t know that security guards let me into minister Reynolds suite,” Higgins said in a statement.

“I didn’t know that security guards came into the office multiple times seeing me in a state of undress. I didn’t know they were undertaking an internal review into how the matter was handled at the time. I didn’t know that they debated calling an ambulance at the time of the incident.

“The continued victim-blaming rhetoric by the prime minister is personally very distressing to me and countless other survivors.”

Higgins said: “A current senior staffer to the prime minister and my former chief-of-staff refused to provide me with access to the CCTV footage from that evening and continually made me feel as if my ongoing employment would be jeopardised if I proceeded any further with the matter. The government has questions to answer for their own conduct.”
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... er-alleged

The question is how many people other than the defence minister were involved in covering up the rape so as to not jeopardise the conservative coalition chances in the federal election?

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 3:22 pm

Oh. Oh dear.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2021, 7:59 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Former federal government staffer Brittany Higgins has accused prime minister Scott Morrison of employing “victim-blaming rhetoric” which is “personally very distressing to me and countless other survivors” of sexual assault.

Please don't politicise this unfortunate situation.
It was handled badly, but Scomo wouldn't have engaged in "Victim Blaming".

Do you favour the left of politics, by any chance?
Rhetorical question.
No need to answer.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2021, 8:06 pm

NaturalEntity wrote:
Oh. Oh dear.

"The Guardian" is a heavily left-wing news outlet.
Please keep that in mind. ;)

As always, it is best not to jump to conclusions, imo.
We need to hear all the facts before coming to a conclusion.
I always try and keep an open mind.

Presumably, based on experience here, people will jump to the conclusion that I am defending the right of politics.
Not the case.
I will always wait to get the facts before making a hardcore conclusion.
I may speculate, but this is supposition only, obviously. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2021, 9:19 pm

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Actually that was a direct quote from the rape victim not me.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2021, 9:26 pm

Somebody in the liberal party was keeping this hushed from the prime minister according to Sco-mo himself
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-19/ ... s/13171252

So Sco-Mo has made this into an issue

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2021, 10:52 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

And where do you stand on this?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2021, 10:53 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Somebody in the liberal party was keeping this hushed from the prime minister according to Sco-mo himself
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-19/ ... s/13171252

So Sco-Mo has made this into an issue

The shite has hit the fan, yes.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 1:21 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I feel sorry for the girl. She was clearly taken advantage off and there seemed to be an attempt at a cover up. The question is who knew?, why was the room steam cleaned to remove evidence? who did this?
The rest is up to the courts.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 2:19 am

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I feel sorry for the girl. She was clearly taken advantage off and there seemed to be an attempt at a cover up. The question is who knew?, why was the room steam cleaned to remove evidence? who did this?
The rest is up to the courts.

There was some talk about Brittany Higgins deciding not to go ahead with reporting the crime because she was worried about what that would do to her career.
The question is, was she coerced into making that decision?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 2:40 am

It sounds like it might have been coercion since she has asked the police to re-open the case
https://www.news.com.au/national/politi ... 5d2afa6ff9

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 3:14 pm

Another anonymous woman has reported she was also sexually assaulted by the same man.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 6:20 pm

Pepe wrote:
Another anonymous woman has reported she was also sexually assaulted by the same man.

Yep, who the heck did they hire, Bill Cosby?
The man in question has voluntarily admitted himself into a psychiatric hospital
https://www.news.com.au/national/politi ... c887f8556d

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 12:54 am

It get's worse....

in addition 4 women disclosing rape (so we are dealing with a Harvey Weinstein/Cosby type predator working for the conservative coalition party but now members of the coalition have been caught deleting facebook posts where members of the party claim Brittney Higgens was asking for it turning to be raped up to work dressed in tight little outfits as below

Coalition is in damage control pretending they didn't say that stuff :roll:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 1:22 am

cyberdad wrote:
It get's worse....

in addition 4 women disclosing rape (so we are dealing with a Harvey Weinstein/Cosby type predator working for the conservative coalition party but now members of the coalition have been caught deleting facebook posts where members of the party claim Brittney Higgens was asking for it turning to be raped up to work dressed in tight little outfits as below

Coalition is in damage control pretending they didn't say that stuff :roll:

If that is true, that is outrageous.

However, I find that hard to believe they could be so stupid.
What is the evidence?
I won't jump to conclusions.

Having said that, I don't have a high regard for politicians.