What did you think of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2021, 10:34 am

I watched the movie and I found a lot of it to be very interesting, but I feel that they try to make Benjamin's problem out to be a lot worse than it is.

WARNING: SPOILERS

So when he is young he looks old and he gets to hook up with a good share of older woman, and when he is old he looks young and he gets to hook up with a good share of young women. Either way he's pretty much James Bond, whether an old Bond or a young Bond, and it seems like this isn't really a curse at all.

And then he chooses to leave his wife and kid, because he has a kid in his early 40s and chooses to leave them because he is worried that in about 20 years or so, that his brain will start to deteriorate and he won't be a good father. Lots of guys have kids in their early 40s even though there is a chance that in 20 plus years, their brains will start deteriorating. They don't leave their families on the chance that will happen later.

So I feel that they really made this issue out to be bigger than it actually is to build a movie around. Perhaps the story would have been better if he and his main love interest had spent the whole movie together, but he goes away for a long time, twice, and they don't actually get together till they are both middle aged.

He is just pretty much an old James Bond before, that, and I found that the WWII battle subplot, didn't add anything to the rest of the story really and was just put their for random historical flair.

But I do think that the final 10 minutes about, are heartbreaking in it's own way, and I do give it credit for ending on that note. But maybe I am wrong or am missing something?

Last edited by ironpony on 18 Feb 2021, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2021, 10:36 am

ironpony wrote:
What did you think of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button?
I thought it was kind of boring, so I walked out about half-way through.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 7:46 pm

David Fincher knows how to make great movies,
but IMO I felt I was watching a rehash of Forrest Gump.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 3:11 am

I actually felt that too, but I looked it up after, and it's the same writer as Forrest Gump.