Entertainment Industry and impossible moral standards

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2021, 7:27 pm

We are constantly reminded how political everything has gotten with regards to the entertainment industry.
The press hold so much power, and can make or break people, even though their entire business capitalises out of bad news.

I find the press has too much power, and that people who work in the entertainment industry are required to keep impossibly high standards in order to sustain their success, that or constantly keep bribing the press in order to keep them sweet or better still, to get them to victimise people who they want to ruin or use as a smokescreen to distract from their own bad press.

Surely, it is about time that people judged a person's artistic endeavour based on their artistic contribution and kept their private life separate, as long as people don't do anything too extreme like murder or molest children etc.

Although in some cases, extreme personalities are what the creative products need, for example, if you are making a film about a wife beater pirate, then who better to play the part than a wife beater pirate.

I believe that is something that the late Dennis Hopper agreed upon, as he wanted the part of the psycho in blue velvet as he said he literally was that person... anyway, he did a convincing job. Which is what people want out of an actor.
To be convinced.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2021, 7:36 pm

You have to remember that when working for a company, you represent that company. You have to uphold their standards or at least be neutral, and not push an agenda using your company as a platform. In their case, their public exposure as an employee of that company is being abused to push an agenda.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2021, 7:42 pm

madbutnotmad wrote:
Surely, it is about time that people judged a person's artistic endeavour based on their artistic contribution and kept their private life separate, as long as people don't do anything too extreme like murder or molest children etc.

People in the entertainment industry should do this so they don't have to worry about losing their jobs. Keep their private opinions and their professional life separate. I personally don't care what someone in the entertainment industry has to say about politics or social issues and don't see why anyone would risk their job talking about that crap.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 6:39 pm

yere, i figure actors are often employed on contract for a film, series or show etc.
and as they are actors, i would say that if they can do the job, i.e. act the role,
then surely what does it matter what they get up to in their private lives

as long as they aren't doing anything too extreme or criminal

in the same way if they were in normal jobs, they wouldn't get sacked and then never employed again
if they said something politically incorrect in conversation, jokingly or what ever

surely, as the west is supposed to be based on christian virtue, there should be some capacity for forgiveness
surely forgiveness is a big part of the christian moral code

but also
when it comes to making exciting films etc. surely it would be more interesting to have people who
look and act the part, instead of just loads of rich kids who have got the job due to their families wealth
and their plastic surgery made good looks... ho hum... that is what the entertainment industry is turning into

along with rock and roll
rock and roll, along with jazz and blues
were originally dangerous people's music

with authentic blues men who broke the rules and could sing songs about true stories where they
diced with death

these days its just all pansies writing songs that have been written and told many million times over
about subjects that are tired cliche's to get the maximum pay

just overly produced same formula every time over and over again boring
but is in fashion cause the radio stations and magazines who are owned by people from the same clique
say so...

when i wouldn't go so far as doing horrible things
i do think that rock and roll and the entertainment industry has become too political
and the politics are now used to assassinate

and ironically the golden children of the rich celebrities who brought their way into fame
who do more horrific things every day never get reported in the news
cause they have the press in their pockets...

so this is entertainment?... well, i am not entertained...

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 7:25 pm

madbutnotmad wrote:
surely, as the west is supposed to be based on christian virtue, there should be some capacity for forgiveness
surely forgiveness is a big part of the christian moral code

And you don't think people have not been cancelled since the beginning of this entertainment industry for not being something that someone thinks is Christian. For so long people could have their careers destroyed (cancelled) for coming out as gay or something. If people thought your opinions were too communist, or anti-state, your career would be gone. You can look over the past where if people did not fit the idea of moral, often on the opposite end PC of what people who use PC now often mean, they would be cancelled.

Like it or not, people will often consume entertainment on based elements of politics of those involved. Forgiveness is a good thing, and I believe it should be employed, but not as some sort of Christian idea of going to a priest where you confess to your "sins" and you are now redeemed. It should come from reflecting on what you might have done wrong and being able to express that you have changed enough to be worthy of forgiveness. And if that person does not agree that they should need to be forgiven and what they did was not wrong or not for the reasons people think, then it is kind of up to them to maybe sacrifice their career and try and convince the public opinion of what's what, with all the criticism that comes with that.