Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 10:00 am

If I found a partner maybe one day and had a child it would be my dream to have a daughter.

Do you think though I should not build up my hopes since you can’t predict what gender your child will be :-(

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 10:02 am

It's called "the luck of the draw."

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 10:17 am

I would say it’s okay to hope for a daughter as long as you wouldn’t be truly disappointed if you got a son instead. Just mentally prepare yourself for the fact that it could be a boy and if so, be able to love him just as much as if he was a girl. Doesn’t mean you can’t fantasize about having a daughter.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 10:21 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's called "the luck of the draw."

my grandfather always wanted a daughter instead he ended up with 3 sons.

He treated his third son (the youngest) as his golden child.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 12:59 pm

I think most people have a preference - but you get what you get. My preference was for neither, to be brutally honest, but I got a daughter and the minute the docs handed her to me I knew I loved her completely. I think that just happens on an animal level. Want what you want, I don't think you'll have any room for disappointment when the baby arrives.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 2:19 pm

My ex really wanted a daughter as well. He had no interest in having sons.

You can have any preference you want. Just remember that a baby's sex doesn't determine their chosen gender, their conformity to gender roles, or their behaviour and personality.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 2:23 pm

I wouldn't mind, either.
My older brother died when his daughter was just 3 years old.

I looked after her on a regular basis for quiet a few years.
She was a really good kid, and a God send, who brought the best out of us during a tough time (grieving).

She has grown up to be a really nice young woman.
She was a bit of a tom boy as a girl, although still feminine, she liked to do boy-ish things and was a bit boisterous
which was good, as she wasn't a little sap that cried at every opportunity.
She didn't need to cry most the time as she was too busy having fun! Which is what being a kid is all about!

I wouldn't mind if she had been a little boy too. Being a man, I am into things that little boys can also get into.
Such as martial arts, music, art, swimming, going to the beach, museums, zoo's, nature walks, computer games, reading etc.

Doesn't make that much difference really. Boys or girls. All good.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 10:16 am

Can your family adopt or foster a little girl in need? I have two boys and when my sister passed, I inherited a daughter who used to be my
Niece.

Minuteman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Mar 2021, 11:18 pm

I wanted a boy; sure enough we had a girl. After seeing how sweet and easy-going she was, I would have been more than happy to have another girl.

So when my wife got pregnant again, guess what we had -- TWIN GIRLS!! !! And you guessed it -- they were much more challenging than their big sister.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2021, 11:59 pm

Jamesy wrote:
If I found a partner maybe one day and had a child it would be my dream to have a daughter.

Do you think though I should not build up my hopes since you can’t predict what gender your child will be :-(

Well for sure if you get in a position to have kids, you should not get too stuck on their gender. I mean seems rather 50/50 you will get a girl or boy, but there is also the off chance you will get one that is neither.

I honestly don't get why anyone cares of the gender of their kids...like women and men both can learn so like you could teach either to be useful in a society regardless of their sex part. But I also feel like gender sterotypes and mannerisms being enforced is stupid....why can't we just be how we are. Men do not have to be tougher, Women do not need to be weaker. People who are tough should be tough and maybe help both men and women who aren't so tough. Just seems f***d up to me that under threat traditionally men are supposed to 'man up' and face it while women are ok to just cower and cringe against attacks. Well that is useless women and men who can fight should do so and people who don't excel in that area should get other tasks. Turns out sometimes women can be real bad-asses, and men can be bad-asses but there are certainly plenty of men and women who are not so tough in that regard but may have other strengths. It is just stupid to decide like how tough or weak someone should be based on their sex. Like how about actually basing it on what a person shows. But yeah so gender reveal parties are stupid to me, its like what the f**k does it matter what genital the baby was born with, it says nothing about who they will be.

But I am biased I am even angry at my thrift store seperating boys and girls infant clothes, I mean for f***s sake they are infant clothes....do they really need to be gendered? I'd be happier if we just had a 'baby' section that had all the girls and boys infant clothes mixed together....because come on how gendered can onesies for infants be? I am so evil I only put childrend clothes back to their size but for sure i have left girls items in the boys section and boys items in the girls section even if i notice they are in the wrong spot. Just because also should we even be telling kids what boys vs girls clothes are or should we just let them where what they like and develop their style from there. Like if a boy wants to wear dresses what is wrong with that? I see nothing wrong with it no worse than girls wearing pants.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 10:32 pm

I'd be happy with whatever God gives me.

DesertWoman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2021, 7:18 pm

Seems like adopting a female or getting a female foster child is the only way you'll definitely get a daughter, but I could be wrong.

All kids are great, gender doesn't matter. I never had kids, but we had a male dog, and now we have a female dog, same breed. While there are big differences in genders, all living things are fascinating. But that's just my opinion! :D

beady
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 6:45 am

Jamesy wrote:

Why is it important to you?

I was an unwanted female. They wanted a boy and they told me this. I am hoping whatever you get you will love it totally.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 1:55 am

Jamesy wrote:

Like others have said, you can always adopt a girl ;)

For the longest time, I was quite convinced that I would have a daughter...girlfriend got pregnant, she kept teasing me, but we had the perfect girl name picked out and everything...

NOPE, it was a boy.

I was a little bit crushed, but the positives definitely outweigh the negatives.

So we had to go back to the drawing board, since neither of us had come up with any boy names. It was a lot harder to find a boy name that we both liked; I basically wrote out a huge list of names that I liked, and she had a smaller list, and we narrowed it down.