So the engine of a plane fell off near me.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2021, 6:05 am

Yeah a planes engine fell off and debris were dropped across residential areas.

Here is an article so you know its real
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/l ... ely-at-dia

Broomfield is not so far from where I live, so yeah that is kinda scary like I am just glad a debris from that did not drop on my apartment building. Also glad that it seems everyone was ok.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2021, 6:25 am

Saw some film from inside the plane of the engine on another news site. Modern aircraft can fly happily on one engine making them safer than some old designs that couldn't.

At least a few people have new garden ornaments! :jester:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2021, 6:28 am

maycontainthunder wrote:
Saw some film from inside the plane of the engine on another news site. Modern aircraft can fly happily on one engine making them safer than some old designs that couldn't.

At least a few people have new garden ornaments! :jester:

Yeah that is good, otherwise the whole plane may have fell. But yeah youtube worthey garden ornaments.... :D

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2021, 8:37 am

They could put little wings on them so if they fall off, they will glide down without doing too much damage?

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2021, 9:22 am

Saw a couple of pictures of homes with BIG metal things that fell, comparatively little damage....
Amazing that no homes were irreparably damaged and that there were no deaths!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 3:55 am

United Airlines temporarily grounds 24 planes following catastrophic engine failure over Denver

Quote:
United Airlines said Sunday that it will “voluntarily and temporarily” ground 24 aircraft powered by a certain type of engine after one of its planes suffered a catastrophic engine failure over Denver on Saturday.

The decision comes as federal aviation regulators appear to be zeroing in on the jet’s fan blades as a culprit for the drama that played out in Colorado’s skies and in the northwest Denver metro area.

The aircraft that are being removed from United’s service have Pratt & Whitney 4000 series engines. The line of engines is used on many popular, large aircraft types, including the Boeing 747-400, Boeing 777, Boeing 767 and Airbus A330.

United, which has a hub at Denver International Airport, said the aircraft that are being grounded are Boeing 777’s.

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating. It said Sunday that its preliminary investigation revealed:

One fan blade was fractured near the root
An adjacent fan blade was fractured about mid-span
A portion of one blade was imbedded in the containment ring
The Federal Aviation Administration on Sunday said it would require immediate, stepped-up inspections of Boeing 777 airplanes equipped with Pratt & Whitney 4000 series engines. It’s likely, the agency said, that planes will be removed from service as a result.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 10:41 am

I must say, this is not an auspicious beginning for a new year.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

22 Feb 2021, 12:30 pm

I saw that on the news too. So glad no one was killed, it must have been so scary!

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

23 Feb 2021, 8:44 am

Not the sort of thing you want to see when looking out the window. 8O

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56149894

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2021, 9:30 pm

Wow, lol I figure it was kind of a big deal, but yeah hell even Stephen Colbert mentioned it on his late show...and I saw something about it on the BBC. So I take it this is not a typical thing that happens just wasn't sure it would catch so much national/international attention.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 7:36 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Wow, lol I figure it was kind of a big deal, but yeah hell even Stephen Colbert mentioned it on his late show...and I saw something about it on the BBC. So I take it this is not a typical thing that happens just wasn't sure it would catch so much national/international attention.

Weird feeling when that happens isn’t it?.

I feel the same way about the whole Sia ‘Music’ controversy. I figured it would be of interest in Wrong Planet and Autism parent groups but I did not expect that seemingly every news organization would be covering it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 7:40 am

Maybe not auspicious....but I believe things will get better. They can’t get much worse!

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 7:36 pm

Someone lives in the area and posted a picture of a broken vape pen they found on r/WhatIsThisThing, thinking it was a piece of the engine. :lol: