Who hijacked the neurodiversity definition and why?

Page 5 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2021, 3:58 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
What, precisely, do you see as the "neurodiversity view" that you "no longer support"?

It's usefulness for scientific research. I can still sympathize with the idea that we should view autism as a difference rather than a disorder, but neurodiversity doesn't seem to be the best movement or term to use. I'll probably start to use "aspie" again when I talk about autism in a more general sense.

I also don't like sociology, and it seems like neurodiversity is a sociological term, which is another reason not to use it.

Since AS is no longer in the DSM, I think aspie can work again.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2021, 3:30 pm

rdos wrote:
I also don't like sociology, and it seems like neurodiversity is a sociological term, which is another reason not to use it.

What do you dislike about sociology, apart from the fact that it's just not your field and you are more interested in understanding autism itself?

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 3:18 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
What do you dislike about sociology, apart from the fact that it's just not your field and you are more interested in understanding autism itself?

Sociology seems to be the "science" of power, identity and conflict, none which I like or find important.

Power: I strongly dislike power games, and particularly the military, authoritarian leaders and corruption.

Identity: I don't think I have an (NT) identity at all. If l like 9 positions of a group but not the 10:th, I will not start to like it because it's part of the group identity. I might change my mind on some issue based on good arguments, but not based on social pressure, group think or authority. I tend to form opinions based on individual issues. I'm also neither left-wing nor right-wing. I like some ideas of the left, some of the middle and some of the far right too.

Conflict: I tend to stay out of conflicts as much as possible, and find conflict silly and immature.

Since sociology is about these issues, I find it boring and useless.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 3:23 pm

I don't mind sociology----it's the practitioners I sometimes mind.

There are times when they rely too much on statistics, and not enough on common sense.