What is your profession/occupation?

Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2021, 10:13 am

I work as a traditional rigger, which includes taking care of ships and boats riggs as well as having workshops where I teach splicing, whippings, and knot tying. I also do some rope making and sail making, and some woodworking (blocks, masts, etc.)

Before that, I had my own company importing classic board games and selling them via a web shop.

And before that, I worked with everything IT (support, network design, safety, programming, testing...)

/Mats

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2021, 2:50 pm

I'm not currently working at the moment but I'm a qualified archivist and records manager with several years of experience working in that profession. I'm hoping to start a new job in the next few months.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2021, 3:10 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^i wish i could have done what you did.

Thanks (if you were referring to me).. :-)

Although, I am as frustrated as anyone with ASD I think
Although I have achieved some things on paper, I do generally feel like an under achiever
As i think i find it hard to fully realise projects to the standards that i want
I also find myself frustrated with my technical level when playing music, engineering and doing art work.
As a man in my late 40s i also find myself being limited by my health / age for martial arts.

Like quiet a few of us with ASD, i do have a perfectionist gene in me, which makes it hard for me to ever be happy.
But which in some strange way does make me happy, by not being happy....

with regards to your own journey with music / art / martial arts
as the old saying goes your never too old

if there is anything i can help you with or give you advice on with regards to the above subjects
then please feel free to ask
would be happy to help
cheers

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2021, 3:23 pm

Electrical Engineer.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2021, 3:25 pm

Artist

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 10:41 am

i've had a 3-decade long side gig doing digital audio restoration/enhancement of audio recordings of age. the new digital tools make it easy-peasy, sort-of.

MsJustice
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Mar 2021, 8:28 pm

Law enforcement, specifically investigations. This was (is) my special interest, and I am deeply knowledgeable regarding my area of investigations which involves complicated and sometimes contradictory laws.

Pros: Being super detail oriented and being able to sus out deception from a lifetime of scrutinizing microexpressions means being aspie is helpful.
Cons: I have real trouble recognizing command structure in a paramilitary environment, and I often come across as rude to superiors.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2021, 8:31 pm

Amateur pharmacist. 8)

Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2021, 9:40 pm

Architect.

I wanted to quit when I got my Bachelors 10 years ago, but my teachers, family, and doctors convinced me to stay on. I got my Masters from a top school in Europe, moved to Japan and have worked here ever since. Classic example of letting others guide you to a career you don't want.

Many autistics have no jobs and are living at home. I envy that.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2021, 10:54 am

Solutions Architect (network/IT) - aside: part of the "she-demic" (not worth being underpaid and treated unfairly while my family's mental health deteriorated)

Wolf1066
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Mar 2021, 9:28 pm

Data Wrangler/Analyst for a Mental Health Service

It's a bit of a coming full circle for me: started out in the 1980s in a 6-month gig writing programs in BASIC to extract/manipulate/report on data stored in simple CSV files, then I was told by another department that they'd have work for me if I learned dBase II (which I did in a week).

Then they decided they didn't need an in-house programmer writing bespoke code when they could buy software packages off the shelf that anyone could customise to suit so they got me servicing computers and managing the networks instead.

Network admin and repair work was fun for a while but then it rapidly became repetitive and boring. I got pushed into Technical Help Desk duties - stuck in a cubicle farm with the other battery hens - until I was eventually made redundant.

Then I managed to find a data wrangling job using SQL and it felt like a homecoming. After 20-odd years of stressful customer-service work in unpleasant environments, I was finally back to writing code to extract/manipulate/merge data from various sources and finally back to being in an actual office rather than a noisy barn.

It's a very Aspie-friendly job: I get given tasks and left to resolve them, mostly without interruption; I can work from home for half the week and my direct manager has an autistic child so she's understanding of my condition and needs.

My co-workers were not surprised by my recent diagnosis and are very supportive (hardly surprising, given the business we're in).

Diagnosed 29 Jan 2021 - ASD Sev. 1 (Aspergers)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2021, 11:46 pm

^^^you are a genius. :star:

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Mar 2021, 3:11 pm

1986 wrote:

Many autistics have no jobs and are living at home. I envy that.

Don't envy that. The two elements of 'no jobs' (aka free time) and 'at home' are quite nice, but I live that lifestyle due to deficiencies, circumstance and powerlessness. It depresses me, I hate it, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

15 Mar 2021, 3:34 pm

A lot of people here have some impressive jobs! I'm not working currently and have never done anything other than working in shops and cleaning.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 4:35 pm

Presently on disability, have had two jobs as a janitor, nothing else.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 4:44 pm

AlanMooresBeard wrote:
I'm not currently working at the moment but I'm a qualified archivist and records manager with several years of experience working in that profession. I'm hoping to start a new job in the next few months.

Wow - my dream job.