What is your profession/occupation?

Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 8:49 pm

i long have envied the folks with the plum easy high-paying jobs.

DredgeboatWilly
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Mar 2021, 8:26 am

I'm a deckhand for a dredging company. Awesome hands-on job that never gets boring, all the guys are pretty rough around the edges so being a sarcastic blunt as*hole is about the social norm around here. Only job I've ever had where your skill is truly more important than how much ass you kiss.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 9:00 am

^^^Hiya DB Willy and welcome to WP! :salut:

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 4:40 pm

I am a independent oilman

Diamondgirl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Mar 2021, 6:10 am

Mental health difficulties prevented me from studying so I went to work in the registry of a busy courthouse. It was never me to start off with but I've stayed there and it's paid the bills. In the meantime I've got a degree in counselling and am now volunteering hoping that will help me break into the social welfare field.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2021, 11:50 am

I do computers.
I have a Computer Science Bachelor's degree - which was really hard to get - time management and organization skills are rather poor - ADHD - made the upper level classes increasing difficult - the only way I knew to "cope" was to wait until the fear kicked in as the deadline approached and then hyperfocus in an all-nighter. As classes got harder the "stay up to midnight" became "stay up to 3 am" then "stay up to 6 am" then "stay up to the start of class and go hand in the work" then "stay up to 5 minutes before the end of class and go hand in the work" then "stay up past class and send a whiny e-mail to the prof apologizing" - then getting hospitalized 4 times in my senior year because my immune system was shot from not sleeping most of the time and I was making stupid mistakes like stepping on nails. But in the end I got that piece of paper. People skills were poor too. And writing was like chewing ground glass. I took some extra science classes to avoid writing and that was fun. I did theater because the theater teacher never gave writing assignments longer than one page (but you hat to either act in or do tech for the shows).

I started out as a "programmer" then did some "dot.com" stuff - then was a DBA then more coding plus system integration then troubleshooting "production code" other people wrote - then more coding - now I am doing "DevOps" which half way between "Writing Code" and "Systems Operations".

I hyperfocus and perseverate a lot - when it is work stuff I do great - when it is not I get off on tangets and have a hard time getting back on my boss's stuff - then it isn't so good. Sometimes the work is fun like solving a puzzle or a maze - sometimes it is boring and is like being the plumber or maintenance guy - no-one notices you until something breaks or there is a mess. "Computer Guys" have both good and bad reputations in popular movies and tv shows.

The good news is I get paid well - the bad news is that everything is always changing and the employer may (will) have more layoffs at any time. And I have this irrational fear that I will never get another job. It is a very high risk job - in terms of job stability.

One other idea:

"[ . . . ] If you compare yourself to others - you may become vain and bitter - for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. [ . . . ]" - The Desiderata

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2021, 12:10 pm

^^i wish i was smart as you and could do that tough stuff also. my life woulda been totally different had i 30 more iq points to play with. my shrink told me about a guy, a soldier at ft. lewis [washington] who got shot in the head, and when he recovered from the surgery he was found to have 30 more points IQ. his life went in another direction and i think he became a doctor.