Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 12:18 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay. If the situation where the woman didn't know she was on camera were reversed, and it was a woman who tries to have sex with a man and film it, not knowing he was on camera, and it was done for laughs, I wouldn't be offended if I thought it was done in a funny way. Does that make me bad?

You might want to understand why you think that way. Filming someone without their consent is a violation of their privacy and trust. Perhaps you don't think of it so bad with men, but women can face a lot of shaming and really it is just not a good thing to do. By gender equality, and the fact that it is not seen as so bad, like pantsing a man can be seen as just a prank, but with women it can be seen as more serious assault, it probably should not be seen as okay.

ironpony wrote:
Also, if people are more offended by these things happening to women, because people are more puritan and puritan is more right wing, then why are feminists complaining about things like this in movies, as I thought feminists, were more left wing and not puritan? Unless I am wrong and feminists are more puritan and more right wing?

No, I said that puritan people don't like sex at all. Right wing puritans are going to complain about a woman with big boobs in a movie by saying it is corrupting people with lewdness, regardless of if it is not exploitive of the woman involved, because large chested women can just exist. Feminism is not against sex, considering things like sexual liberation. It is why in things like video games I would argue that a character like Bayonetta can actually be feminist, because despite a fairly large part of her character being about being sexy, it is pretty much always on her own terms with her being in total control of her sexuality.

Not that there are not arguments of whether Bayonetta is necessarily good reputation or not.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 12:24 am

Oh okay I don't know Bayonetta.

Well when it comes to situations in comedies such as secretly taping someone having sex and then it all goes out of control, in comedies, people do bad things to each other for laughs all the time and I don't take it seriously and acknowledge that it's only a movie. A movie like say Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is a comedy where conmen pray on unsuspecting people, and it's played for laughs. However, I do have a line to draw and a movie like Wedding Crashers where the rape scene just goes too far for my taste.

So I feel when it comes to comedies I am okay with characters doing bad things to each other for laughs, depending on how far they go with it and where the line is drawn. But if no one did bad things to each other in comedies, then there wouldn't be as many laughs, because everyone is so friendly and considerate towards each other that there would be very little funny conflict, if that makes sense?

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2021, 4:06 pm

I have such mixed feelings about this subject. I have fond memories of (and still occasionally enjoy) 70s British sex comedies like the Carry On series and I think I grew up pretty respectful of women.

But I watched a Carry On the other day and there was a scene where Terry Scott, playing a senior doctor, lured a young nurse (actually a man disguised as a young nurse) to his office and proceeded to attempt to force himself on her. I found it very uncomfortable viewing in light of #metoo, and it wasn't the only scene I found troubling.

Of course these things are a product of their time, but I think it's right that as a society we continue to re-evaluate our attitudes. That doesn't mean censoring, or cancelling, anything, but I also don't think it counts as 'political correctness gone mad' or 'feminaziism' to acknowledge that these attitudes are unnacceptable, that this isn't 'just a joke' but does indeed normalise and excuse behaviour that is no longer appropriate.

But more importantly, to me at least, I think we may have lost something important if we assume that all sex comedies are misogynist. It seems to me that sex on TV or in movies is generally portrayed one of two ways. It's either a hugely significant plot development, usually highly eroticised with a lot of 'stakes' for the characters involved, or it's violent and damaging - i.e. a sex crime.

It is never lighthearted, silly, fun or inconsequential.

I think this is probably quite a damaging way for younger people to see sex. It puts an awful lot of pressure on them to shoot for the former - i.e. a life-changing, earthshattering event, and might, if it falls short, make them think about their experiences in more negative way than otherwise, maybe even as an abusive event.

Sex is fundamentally ridiculous. (Most of us) look silly doing it. Excellently, that doesn't matter. It reminds us that we're animals, driven by base impulses. It also reminds us that we're more than animals, self-conscious, civilised and considerate. I think sex comedies should have a place and it should be possible to make them without being misogynist or normalising predatory behaviour.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2021, 8:14 pm

One movie that comes to mind is Animal House. In the movie, a college guy is seduced by a woman he meets at the grocery store, and then after they have sex, she tells him that she is only 13, but she says this in a smiling way, as if "I managed to seduce you and your an adult, hurray for me", like she was happy about it.

The guy is disturbed and mortified at this, and he is the one distraught because of this. So I actually felt more sorry for him than I did for her, because she enjoyed it with no regrets, where as he is now the one with regrets. But is it bad or abnormal that I felt more sorry for him, since it bothered him compared to her?

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 7:08 am

ironpony wrote:
One movie that comes to mind is Animal House. In the movie, a college guy is seduced by a woman he meets at the grocery store, and then after they have sex, she tells him that she is only 13, but she says this in a smiling way, as if "I managed to seduce you and your an adult, hurray for me", like she was happy about it.

The guy is disturbed and mortified at this, and he is the one distraught because of this. So I actually felt more sorry for him than I did for her, because she enjoyed it with no regrets, where as he is now the one with regrets. But is it bad or abnormal that I felt more sorry for him, since it bothered him compared to her?

Yeah, you see, I don't have any problem with that scene, and I think you read it right - we're meant to feel for the guy because in all his awkward adolescent fumbling he got outclassed by a confident teenage girl for whom the sex was far less of a big deal than it was for him. Bad taste? Sure. Funny? I think so.

Unrealistic? Absolutely, how many 13 year old girls act like that one or have that level of self-assuredness? Not many. But we all mature at different rates and there are precocious teens who get very comfortable with their sexuality very quickly.

What I was trying to get at in my longwinded way above is that the treatment of sex in modern culture means that whether 'good' sex (erotic/climactic) or bad sex (violent/abusive), it's always a BIG DEAL. When you give something that power it gives it the power to affect you psychologically. In good and bad ways I suppose.

In the scene you mentioned sex (for the girl, at least) is not a big deal. It was a bigger deal for the guy, but with experience (an the absence of criminal prosecution) will become less so. No harm done, no big deal. I think its important that sex should be shown to be no big deal sometimes.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

05 Mar 2021, 9:28 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Right wing puritans are going to complain about a woman with big boobs in a movie by saying it is corrupting people with lewdness, regardless of if it is not exploitive of the woman involved, because large chested women can just exist.

Despite never wanting big boobs I've grown up feeling bad for not having them because media has taught me that the only way to be an "attractive woman" is to have big boobs (amongst other things). Small chested women can also exist but are less likely to be presented in film as desireable. Looking at it from the other side I imagine it might also not be great to have part of your body always seen in a sexual way? So depending on how the boobs are presented and with what frequency there could be an argument against it that has nothing to do with concern over lewdness.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 6:00 pm

OutsideView wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
Right wing puritans are going to complain about a woman with big boobs in a movie by saying it is corrupting people with lewdness, regardless of if it is not exploitive of the woman involved, because large chested women can just exist.

Despite never wanting big boobs I've grown up feeling bad for not having them because media has taught me that the only way to be an "attractive woman" is to have big boobs (amongst other things). Small chested women can also exist but are less likely to be presented in film as desireable. Looking at it from the other side I imagine it might also not be great to have part of your body always seen in a sexual way? So depending on how the boobs are presented and with what frequency there could be an argument against it that has nothing to do with concern over lewdness.

I honestly have little idea of the fixation of only large breasts, my suspicion has been some connection to being bisexual, so I understand a little but don't super understand it.

Anime has a lot of problems, which I don't know if it is another element of the Japanese (anime and manga culture) where there is weird fixations on needing to sexualise women with large breasts, and often shaming women without them. There was a particular anime last year called Uzaki-chan, about a pretty short girl with large breasts, it created a lot of stir about some people saying it was trying to sexualise a child, because she is so short, but I thought that was ridiculous because her character was a college student that should be more than what her body is. Although I did still think it too often made her breasts a focal point, that it is fine to be a part of the character, but does not need to inherently sexualise her. My preference point in anime, which do quite strongly mix comedy and sex, would not to tie some sort of worth to endowment, and be confident regardless.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 8:11 pm

But Hollywood sexualized male characters as well, such as in movies like the Magic Mike movies, so since they do it to male characters as well, doesn't all even out therefore, and it's not meant as a stab against women since it's done to males as well?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 8:53 pm

ironpony wrote:
But Hollywood sexualized male characters as well, such as in movies like the Magic Mike movies, so since they do it to male characters as well, doesn't all even out therefore, and it's not meant as a stab against women since it's done to males as well?

I feel like I am going to pull my hair out. The fact that sexualisation can happen with either gender, does not mean it is okay to apply inherent sexualisation on people based on something out of their control, or in general things that should not have to be related to wanting to be seen in such a way. People should not be treated like pieces of meat.

And I kind of see some of this as connected to reclamation of the word and idea of the bimbo and himbo, where people don't need to be defined based on how they might choose to look or carry themselves by other people.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 9:07 pm

Well it's just that a lot of people criticize it when it happens to women and not to men, so it makes me feel like people are being double-standardish about it therefore, because I never hear it criticized when it comes to men being treated like meat in the movies.

But also, I don't think it's bad necessarily if a character is sexualized per se, because if that fits with the character and the character is just a very sexual character, then isn't that just part of the character then naturally? What about a character like this for example?

I feel I have to give a SEXUAL CONTENT WARNING for this clip, just in case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp33apn4U5I

Now the female character is very sexually aggressive in the clip obviously, but if that is who the character is, than isn't that just who the character is and therefore is sexualized as a matter of happenstance, if that is the character?

binstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Mar 2021, 11:52 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
There was a particular anime last year called Uzaki-chan, about a pretty short girl with large breasts, it created a lot of stir about some people saying it was trying to sexualise a child, because she is so short, but I thought that was ridiculous because her character was a college student that should be more than what her body is.

I get that the uproar began with a publicity poster by the red cross in Japan about donating blood. The first online complain, if I'm correct, was from a japanese feminist twitting about it, saying she felt "sexually harassed" by that picture, and so... twitter users from the west who get offended by drawings followed and joined the stupidity.

This is the poster that was very offensive to some people :roll:

And, actually the poster served its purpose, there was seemingly a break-record blood donations in Japan after this.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2021, 1:36 am

I don't mean for this to sound bad but a lot of Japanese women have smaller breasts, compared to some other races in the world. So is perhaps the reason why you see so many large breasts in anime, is because Japanese culture feels like overcompensating because they have smaller breasts perhaps?

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2021, 6:07 am

ironpony wrote:

I don't think it does really even out. I can't say about comedies since I don't watch that many (and don't watch any anime) but almost every time I watch a horror there is some woman getting her clothes ripped off by something or having a bath/shower. It's a much rarer occasion to see that kind of thing happening to man.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

06 Mar 2021, 12:35 pm

ironpony wrote:
I don't mean for this to sound bad but a lot of Japanese women have smaller breasts, compared to some other races in the world. So is perhaps the reason why you see so many large breasts in anime, is because Japanese culture feels like overcompensating because they have smaller breasts perhaps?

ah but Futanari have a sword too and grenades, so I think they are shields. Sometimes tentacles.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2021, 2:48 pm

OutsideView wrote:
ironpony wrote:

I don't think it does really even out. I can't say about comedies since I don't watch that many (and don't watch any anime) but almost every time I watch a horror there is some woman getting her clothes ripped off by something or having a bath/shower. It's a much rarer occasion to see that kind of thing happening to man.

Well the horror genre yeah, but I don't watch a lot of horror movies. I watch a lot of drama movies, where they have naked men in more, like Eastern Promises for example, or more European movies. But it just feels like a double standard because if you see a naked woman in a movie, people cry exploitation, but if you see a naked man in a movie, then it's taken as artistic and more tasteful.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 6:42 am

ironpony wrote:
But it just feels like a double standard because if you see a naked woman in a movie, people cry exploitation, but if you see a naked man in a movie, then it's taken as artistic and more tasteful.

That's interesting, I usually see naked men done as comedy more than anything.