Will the government take the covid vaccine seriously?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2021, 9:31 pm

I haven't been able to work in the field I want to get into, filmmaking because of covid, pretty much killing it unless you are a hugely budgeted movie that can afford tests everyday for everone.

I was thinking of getting the vaccine in order to get back into it. But if I do, would the government actually care and make an exception to the rule, for those of us who are vaccinated? Or will it not make any difference legally at all, and you still be restricted, just like everyone else?

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 11:07 am

I don't think there'll be much of a difference at first since the vaccines don't give a 100% immunity, but after more people have been vaccinated and the number of infections goes down, having taken the vaccine will probably hold some weight. So at the very least, there's no harm in taking it.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 3:10 pm

^ That makes sense.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 1:03 am

That's true there is no harm in taking it, but I think but the bigger issue is getting the government to take it seriously, and then things can go back to normal if they do, but how we the people assure them to take it seriously though?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 1:20 am

This thread has a dumb title.

The government is the entity that is providing the vaccine. So obviously the government has no choice but to take it "seriously".

What you're asking is: "will the government reward me personally for getting a vaccine by giving me personal privileges?"

Probably not. Unless you're willing to have a gold star branded onto your forehead ...to show what a good boy you are for getting a vaccine...so store clerks wont hassle you for not wearing a mask.

You might vote for that. But most voters would balk at that.

Is that the kinda thing you mean?

The goal is herd immunity. If you get the virus and survive it then presumably you are immune. Or folks can get immune by getting the vaccine, and get to stay healthy. If you get enough of both kinds of folks in the population then you will get "herd immunity". And then they will reward us...AS a herd ...by loosening restrictions. Not rewards us as individuals with perks.

Though if enough folks refuse the vaccines ...who knows...maybe they will think of some kind of both carrots and sticks for individuals to get them to vaccinate.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 9:15 am

The ability to show a health card that indicates you have been vaccinated should in theory help you travel overseas.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 9:48 am

But if the government doesn't allow people who have been vaccinated to have certain jobs as a result, then no one is going to take the vaccine seriously either. Everyone I know says they are reluctant to take it not knowing what it is, or if it will actually help.

So how is the government suppose to expect people to get it, if it the people do not get anything out of it from the government really?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 5:43 pm

ironpony wrote:
That's true there is no harm in taking it, but I think but the bigger issue is getting the government to take it seriously, and then things can go back to normal if they do, but how we the people assure them to take it seriously though?

Public health directives will change once they're comfortable it's effective.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 10:17 pm

ironpony wrote:
I was thinking of getting the vaccine in order to get back into it. But if I do, would the government actually care and make an exception to the rule, for those of us who are vaccinated? Or will it not make any difference legally at all, and you still be restricted, just like everyone else?
Biden is most certainly taking this vaccine "seriously". By which, I mean he thinks it's the deadliest thing to ever hit this sorry excuse for a planet, while saying he "understands" :roll: :roll: :roll: how difficult loneliness and unemployment are. As opposed to a hypertrophied cold virus that's not worth sacrificing one's mental health and livelihood over.

CDC released a statement saying exactly what you wanted to know. Vaccinated people are now allowed to freely socialize with other vaccinated people, free of masks and social distancing. They're also allowed to socialize with non-vaccinated people under 65 and in good health (i.e. low-risk groups). Nursing home residents can hug their grandkids for the first time in a year! This is a complete 180 from what CDC used to say three weeks ago, which was "act like you never got the vaccine"; in other words, "stay home Covid-style". This 180 makes CDC seem as shifty as most Democrats, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth!

That being said, the government or the CDC don't owe you squat, vaccine or no vaccine. They live in an entirely different plane of existence than regular people do, and don't understand the damage their rulings create. You are a citizen with certain inalienable rights. Also, the lockdowns aren't laws: they were never ratified by Congress, and were implemented purely on the politicians' personal whims, which most citizens don't realize. So if you want something, like a social outing with friends, you have to take initiative and just do it! Find a group willing to meet in person, arrange a time and place, and go. Just be discreet, and don't blab about it. That's what I always did since late spring of 2020.

The vaccine is safe. I got it recently, and I was totally fine, after a day of feeling tired. No fever, no chills, nothing.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 10:25 pm

Oh okay well I live in Canada which has not seemed to do this 180. Also in Canada the lockdowns are laws as people are being arrested if they go out and do certain things, with or without the vaccine.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 10:41 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay well I live in Canada which has not seemed to do this 180. Also in Canada the lockdowns are laws as people are being arrested if they go out and do certain things, with or without the vaccine.
Eek! 8O 8O 8O This makes me glad I don't live in Canada. And I've been there as a tourist, and loved it: the Niagara Falls, the Gothic architecture, the evergreen trees, and the dual-language street signs. But now, I never want to go there again for as long as I live. Although I'm sure Canada wouldn't want government-hating Yankees like me there anyway. ;)

In the US, though, it's easy to avoid arrest for illegally socializing by carrying a leftist banner, like "defund the police!" or the Antifa logo. Because then you're "peacefully protesting", which is a protected activity per the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution. That's in liberal areas. In conservative areas, the police often don't enforce the lockdowns at all.