Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sinister Biscuit
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Mar 2021, 2:04 pm

StarSprinkle wrote:
This is the best handle I may have ever heard and a really funny avatar to match it. It's like your lipstick matches your nails.

I got nothing to help with because I'm new too. Agree on all points of confusion. That's ok though, I'm so broken right now that if someone told me to enact a Care Bear Stare at the moon and aim it's return beam on myself I'd consider it.

Forums, in my experience are fabulous though when you find a good one. It's easy for the medical community to be confused and assert that confusion on me. If it wasn't for speaking honestly with peers on a different forum I would still be inappropriately medicated and too miserable to figure out why my child didn't work in middle school and they ran us out on rails while smiling the whole time. I feel better now but figuring this out has taken mental power that I just struggle with. It doesn't help that zero people I have bounced my thoughts off of agree with me because I can speak coherently. The forum might not have known the answer, but they did know and help me understand that the path I'd been told to walk didn't match my circumstances and empowered me to quit therapy until someone finally knows more than I had to figure out. I am so resentful of the therapist telling me I didn't have to do her job for her and I could and should trust her judgement. I do have to do all the work diagnosing myself.

I look forward to getting to know you and learn this forum.

Ms Sprinkle! Thank you for the welcome and nice to 'meet' another n00b.
Forums can be great for sharing what we're going through - it's part of our support. At least with the interwebz, we can find others who are dealing with similar issues in a relatively stress free environment.

And these are the tools that help us advocate for ourselves!
(Although at my age and my history of medical conditions I'm honestly tired of having to advocate for myself. Gah!)

Good luck finding a therapist. I'm not there yet. I have a psychiatrist so far, but that took me years to first find a primary doctor after a move (so I couldn't see the doctor I had been seing for over a decade. Ack!). This is one step - local Autism resources are the next step for me.

And thanks for the kind words on my handle.
I'm kinda 'goth', but just not mainstream goth - more like "old fart quirky queer biker goth".

My nails never match my lipstick tho. ;)

Sinister Biscuit

18 Mar 2021, 2:04 pm

Blue_Blake wrote:
Hi! Cool name

Hi there. Thanks Blake!

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2021, 4:07 pm

welcome to Wrong Planet, Sinister Biscuit

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 10:19 am

Hello and welcome to Wrong Planet

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 2:18 am

Sinister Biscuit wrote:
Locally in Ontario, Canada.

Did a quick Google search. I found the following, which you've probably seen already, but just in case:

The Autism Society of Ontario – Toronto Chapter does not appear to be doing much, as far as I can tell.

Then there's something called "Autism Ontario," whose website has an Adults page that appears to be aimed primarily at parents of severely disabled adults, but perhaps there are some resources for relatively independent adults on the autism spectrum too; I'm not sure. They also have some newsletters you can subscribe to.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 9:39 am

I think Sinister Biscuit, as of March 18, has left the Planet--and left in a huff.