Are people bothered by non-autistic actors playing autistic?

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 6:26 pm

I'm autistic and wanting to get more into filmmaking community, because I like directing and filmmaking, but have also had some small acting parts so far as well.

Some people in the filmmaking community were talking about this movie because of the controversy:

https://ew.com/movies/sia-music-controv ... s-twitter/

But I don't think it's bad if a nerotypical actor plays an autistic part. I'm autistic and have been cast in some nerotypical parts, so I feel I shouldn't have a problem if it's the other way around. I just think it's acting and you should go with whoever gives the best audition and seems like the best fit for the character.

But am I wrong? What do you think out of curiosity?

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2021, 9:58 pm

ironpony wrote:

But I don't think it's bad if a nerotypical actor plays an autistic part. I'm autistic and have been cast in some nerotypical parts, so I feel I shouldn't have a problem if it's the other way around. I just think it's acting and you should go with whoever gives the best audition and seems like the best fit for the character.

I agree. The whole point of acting is to portray something your not. I'm not sure why people make a ruckus about such things, it makes no sense.

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 10:58 pm

I am not bothered, but that is just me. 8)

I enjoy the Sheldon Lee Cooper character enormously. :thumright:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 10:59 pm

Spunge42 wrote:
ironpony wrote:

I agree. The whole point of acting is to portray something your not. I'm not sure why people make a ruckus about such things, it makes no sense.

Political correctness on steroids. :roll:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 11:03 pm

I'm not bothered at all. Actors play all sorts of personalities which aren't their own.

The onus is on writers to write believable autistic characters, and on directors to direct them properly.

I think the concern with non-autistic actors is that there are many autistic and otherwise neurodiverse artists looking for work, and they should be given the opportunity to audition for these roles.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 11:06 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'm not bothered at all. Actors play all sorts of personalities which aren't their own.

The onus is on writers to write believable autistic characters, and on directors to direct them properly.

I think the concern with non-autistic actors is that there are many autistic and otherwise neurodiverse artists looking for work, and they should be given the opportunity to audition for these roles.

My only concern is, just being autistic doesn't make one a good autistic actor, as an example.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 11:10 pm

Pepe wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

My only concern is, just being autistic doesn't make one a good autistic actor, as an example.

Of course. But it doesn't make them "not a good actor" either.

I think it would be nice to have more autistic actors as role models for people interested in acting, showing people it can be done. This includes stage and musical theatre. Of course the person would need to audition, and earn the role.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 11:36 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

IsabellaLinton wrote:

It is a bit like giving preference to women, gays, whites, etc, in a political cabinet.
'You' want diversity, but you don't want a person with lesser qualifications simply to service political correctness.

Quote:

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Of course. But it doesn't make them "not a good actor" either.

No, but I am thinking in terms of the magnitude of available talent.
I see the same thing is sports.

A country with a huge population probably has a greater talent pool than a smaller one.
I am not against autistic people per se.
I know a couple, including myself. :mrgreen:

Quote:
I think it would be nice to have more autistic actors as role models for people interested in acting, showing people it can be done. This includes stage and musical theatre. Of course the person would need to audition, and earn the role.

Most autistic people have problems communicating with others.
This might be an issue when dealing with directors and other actors.

Don't get me wrong.
I'd like to see it happen.
I don't think I have, to date.

There is a well know deaf actress.
Why not an autistic actress/actor?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 11:40 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

We have Sheldon Cooper.
What more do you want? 8O

If you want me to, I can vaccinate him and turn him into a bona fide autistic person. :mrgreen:

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 2:31 pm

In the Atypical series, I think the main actor is doing a good job. It's the storyline and kinda NSFW (the American way) content that I am not a fan of.

In the Good Doctor, Actor Freddie Highmore (playing Shawn Murphy) does a decent job, but at times, he doesn't seem Autistic, just annoying.

There is a movie called Music, featuring the singer Sia. I wanted to watch it, but I didn't do it and she apparently shut down her Twitter because the "autistic" community was mad toward her picturing of autism.

Autism is a spectrum, so it is difficult to find a way to "play autistic" in a role. I am fine what with the people are doing. I'm still curious about that "Music" movie and will probably get it at some point, just for the sake of knowing why the critics were so harsh.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 3:33 pm

It depends on the context of the work and the portrayal of the autistic person.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 3:35 pm

I'm bothered by it, because only an autistic actor can truly understand what it's like to be autistic and they could also be getting paid as well.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 3:45 pm

ironpony wrote:
Are people bothered by non-autistic actors playing autistic?
I can speak only for myself.

Non-autistic actors portraying autistic characters bother me only when they get it wrong.  Being autistic does not mean being emotionally or intellectually disabled, nor does it mean that we are geniuses or psychic.  Being autistic does not mean we are to be feared or pitied, nor that we are all prone to catatonia or meltdowns.

Many of us can function well enough in mainstream society, especially if others can accept or overlook our behavioral "quirks".

The fictional character of Adrian Monk comes to mind.  He had his quirks (compulsive habits and phobias ), but he was an accomplished detective in his own right.

Sure, normies can portray us, as long as they get it right.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 4:26 pm

Monk, probably, is supposed to be more OCD than Autistic/Aspergian.

Sheldon Cooper seems very “Aspie-like.” He is portrayed with many of the negative stereotypes of Aspies. One thing to remember is that he’s a character in a comedy.

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2021, 4:29 pm

Fixxer wrote:
In the Good Doctor, Actor Freddie Highmore (playing Shawn Murphy) does a decent job, but at times, he doesn't seem Autistic, just annoying.

Watch the original Good Doctor, which I think is Korean. That actor does a better job.

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2021, 4:48 pm

amykitten wrote:
Fixxer wrote:

Watch the original Good Doctor, which I think is Korean. That actor does a better job.

Agreed.

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."