Are people bothered by non-autistic actors playing autistic?

Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 5:33 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
... Sheldon Cooper seems very "Aspie-like." He is portrayed with many of the negative stereotypes of Aspies...
That is what offended me about the character: he was played for laughs as a caricature as someone with ASD.

I wonder how Jim Parsons feels about gay men being wrongly portrayed as self-centered and overly-dramatic snowflakes who lust after every piece of male beefcake in sight?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 6:10 pm

I don’t believe Parsons would be too thrilled with that.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 7:30 pm

Fnord wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
... Sheldon Cooper seems very "Aspie-like." He is portrayed with many of the negative stereotypes of Aspies...
That is what offended me about the character: he was played for laughs as a caricature as someone with ASD.

I wonder how Jim Parsons feels about gay men being wrongly portrayed as self-centered and overly-dramatic snowflakes who lust after every piece of male beefcake in sight?

Was it said in the show that Sheldon is autistic?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 7:33 pm

It’s never been said that any of the characters are autistic.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 7:46 pm

Sara Gilbert is gay, but plays a straight/het female.
I don't have a problem with that. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 7:50 pm

ironpony wrote:
Fnord wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Was it said in the show that Sheldon is autistic?

Obviously, he is portraying an autistic individual, but the producers skirted away from 'outing' the character, at least initially.
The character was based on the son of Chuck's acquaintance/friend, from memory.

Sheldon is 'special'. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 7:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don’t believe Parsons would be too thrilled with that.

The character is the most 'luved' character in the series.
I think Jim would appreciate that achievement. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 7:57 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Monk, probably, is supposed to be more OCD than Autistic/Aspergian.

Sheldon Cooper seems very “Aspie-like.” He is portrayed with many of the negative stereotypes of Aspies. One thing to remember is that he’s a character in a comedy.

Call me odd aspie, but I think Smelly Shelly makes a good role model. :mrgreen:

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 8:01 pm

I know he's only said it off camera and in newspaper interviews but I don't mind David Neilson.

I think he has a great message for NTs and aspies, people with Goth nieces and people without Goth nieces, guys married to trans women and people who aren't married to trans women alike.*

His message is:

There is nothing wrong with being different. There is everything wrong with making fun of someone for being different. Stand up against the bullies. Don't be afraid to be yourself. Never stop learning.

I wouldn't mind if they made Roy canonically aspie but I would mind if they made an entire storyline around it esp if they tried to make out like his character is tragic. That's why I just like him being 'Roy', guy who doesn't know much about social stuff and is very rigid thinking but who's (a bit like someone on here who knows who he is) a font of all knowledge in other respects.

*For non Brits, I'm saying it like that cos he has a Goth niece and was married to a trans woman who he fell for in the 90s when transphobia was more rife in society.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 8:03 pm

To me, Sheldon is as obnoxious as they come....

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 8:09 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Oh well if they do not say then should people be offended by his character personality being played for laughs, if it's never explicity said? I always just thought he was socially awkward and nerdy, but not autistic.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 8:15 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
To me, Sheldon is as obnoxious as they come....

Next, you will be telling me *I* am too. 8O

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 8:16 pm

ironpony wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Oh well if they do not say then should people be offended by his character personality being played for laughs, if it's never explicity said? I always just thought he was socially awkward and nerdy, but not autistic.

'He' is autistic.
Believe me. 8)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 8:24 pm

You and Sheldon bear no resemblance.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 8:48 pm

Pepe wrote:
ironpony wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

'He' is autistic.
Believe me. 8)

Why though? If the show does not say so, then who are we to say he is autistic if it's not stated?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 9:30 pm

I am not bothered by the concept.

I think the issue is though don't make a movie claiming to you're doing it for autism awareness when you fail to actually include anyone autistic in the acting, writing and production of the film. I mean I think rainman was fine, it was a fictional movie of a guy with autism and his story...but it wasn't promoted as being like the real deal on autism awareness. Like that more recent one where it seemed played up that way but the person who made it did not actually include any autistic people.