The games industry - an interesting statistic.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 8:42 pm

Quote:
UKIE has released the results of its first-ever UK Games Industry Census, partnering with the University of Sheffield to survey 3,208 in the UK games industry (around 20% of the overall UK games workforce) and determine the general makeup of the gaming workforce in the country by a number of different demographics.

By gender, the survey found that 70% of game workers in the UK are male, 28% are female, and 2% identify as non-binary or another gender. The percentage of men in the games industry is considerably higher than the national average (which is roughly split 50/50). Women in the industry tend to skew younger, with 33% of those 25 or younger and 34% between ages 26 and 30 identifying as women. Additionally, 21% identified as LGBTQ+ individuals -- a much higher proportion than the national percentage, which is in the single digits.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ ... e-and-male

This is something I've wondered about before. Personally, I have a friend who is looking for work in the games industry and I have noticed that a significant amount of his female friends are either gay or bi*. Further, I joined a visual effects class recently, which is composed of games design students, animation students and commercial digital design students. I have wondered about the statistical likelihood of ending up in a class with a lesbian couple (both in games design) as well as another woman (another games design student) who happens to be in a relationship with a woman. Despite the fact we're a small class. There's one other girl taking the subject (animation student) and she might be straight....if she's not then that would mean there's no straight women in my class (I'm not straight), which would be unusual. It's predominately male.

Now, I'm not trying to invalidate any straight women working in the games industry or gamers. Personally I'm a casual gamer who only owns three PC games and tries to make mobile games. Yes, yes, I know, I'm ruining the industry. I've heard that before. However, you have to start somewhere and personally I think there are some good mobile games out there (such as Among Us). Besides, I mainly work on advertising and I'm not entirely sure what direction I want to go in when I finish my final semester in a few months.

* Adding on to that thought, there's a stereotype, especially among gen Z on social media, about bisexual women often ending up with 'gamer boys'. :chin:

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 10:18 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
* Adding on to that thought, there's a stereotype, especially among gen Z on social media, about bisexual women often ending up with 'gamer boys'. :chin:

Maybe I am reading it wrong, but that stereotype almost seems like a fetish thing, about gamer boys fetishizing the idea of a bisexual girlfriend or something. But I probably know so little that it is just a guess that might be really misplaced.

I think it is fair to make assumptions that girls/women in general get shamed from being involved with video games. It goes back to the NES being marketed as a toy for boys after the video game crash, to ignore some stigma. It is not a huge surprise that men are feeling more welcome to join the industry. As for the women joining having a large percent that can be attracted to other women, maybe it has something to do with already being more likely to understand the distance from expected female characteristics and thus being less likely to give into pressures from joining the video game industry.

I might again not really know what I am talking about.