Page 2 of 10 [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 6:08 am

Pepe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
what, I may be a liberal/leftist whatever...but Dr Seuss? come on, what the hell.

Bwahahaha.
Stung by your own political leaning.
Priceless. :mrgreen:

Says the Trump worshipper who has been embarrassed by Trump so many dozens of times that he denies being an obvious Trump supporter. :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 6:18 am

Pepe wrote:
Feyokien wrote:

Anyways, banning books is never a good idea.

The hypocrisy and irony are exquisite. 8)

You still read Dr Suess?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 6:36 am

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Feyokien wrote:

You still read Dr Suess?

I have never read Dr Suess, no.
All I know is "The cat in the hat" phrase. :mrgreen:
I am doing research as we 'speak'.

It looks a lot like the hard left is engaging in book-burning, gangnam Nazi Style, but I am still looking into it.
I just couldn't resist having a bit of fun, first. :mrgreen:

"It is not a sin to be ignorant. It is a sin to stay ignorant." 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 6:41 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
what, I may be a liberal/leftist whatever...but Dr Seuss? come on, what the hell.

Bwahahaha.

Says the Trump worshipper who has been embarrassed by Trump so many dozens of times that he denies being an obvious Trump supporter. :lol:

One of the traits I have noticed, of hard-line leftists, is their propensity to misrepresent a situation/person.
I suspect this is part of the left-wing tactical manual.
I am looking into it.
Say hi to Saul, for me. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 6:47 am

OutsideView wrote:
So the link in the OP says there was a study claiming that his books were full of white supremacy but the link Misslizard posted seems to be saying he was anti-racist but did some bad illustrations of Japanses people that he later regretted.

Are they saying the man was human and that he made a mistake in judgement?
Shades of Trudeau! EEP!

BTW,
That picture is priceless! :mrgreen:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 8:13 am

"As we become more culturally responsive and racially conscious, all building leaders should know that in recent years there has been research revealing radical undertones in the books written and the illustrations drawn by Dr. Seuss," the school district continued.

Learning for Justice, a liberal education advocacy group, was reportedly behind the pressure campaign against the celebrated children's author. The organization pegs itself as a group that seeks "to uphold the mission" of the left-wing Southern Poverty Law Center, according to their website.

Learning for Justice cited a study by St. Catherine University that claimed Dr. Seuss’s books are covered with "orientalism, anti-Blackness and White supremacy" in a magazine article they released.

The group also claimed that the characters who were not White in the books were "subservient" to White characters.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 11:10 am

Pepe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Bwahahaha.

One of the traits I have noticed, of hard-line leftists, is their propensity to misrepresent a situation/person.
I suspect this is part of the left-wing tactical manual.
I am looking into it.
Say hi to Saul, for me. 8)

I am not hard left.

and

I accurately represented you.

and

Folks often disagree with others of their own creed (ask Mitch McConnell and Trump, and AOC and Biden). That's not rare enough to be considered "priceless".

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 11:25 am

Pepe wrote:
Feyokien wrote:

Ban is a very emotional word. Did they actually ban a book or just decide to not promote a book. I think that's a critical detail in all this.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 11:26 am

anyone able to post examples... of these alleged misdeeds by the accused (Dr. Seuss) so that we of the court of WP can judge?

Many dislike Dr. Seuss because they don't like his art style (like someone above posted).

But he was part of my childhood in school (Green Eggs and Ham, Cat in the Hat). And I suppose that he did help me learn to read back in the day.

So throwing him into the pen would be kinda big deal.

So...lessee the evidence.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 11:30 am

Misslizard wrote:
People forget how old his books are.He did wartime satire during the rise of Hitler.
His portrayal of the Japanese would be offensive today,but at that time we were at war.
It’s ridiculous to toss out all his books.
https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/201 ... f-dr-seuss

America has first ammendment.

Adults can read what they like.

Kids can read whatever school or parents let them read.

No reason why kids should be reading racist books.

And I doubt this is the first time they've been 'banned'.

Adults can read whatever they like.

School libraries/school boards/teachers/even public libraries have a right to choose what kids read.

Without that, back in the 90s, boys (heck no section 28 so girls too) would've been reading Playboy in the school library. Adults can act in loco parentus.

And I'm saying this as someone who was allowed to read racist books (Enid Blyton) as a kid & loved them but wasn't allowed to read Disney books with sound effects because 'they rot the brain' :roll: So what? Mum's choice.

Mum didn't let me read Dr Seuss either. I read them at granddad's house. It wasn't for what in those days was called PC reasons, I think it was cos the Cat was naughty but then she let me read My Naughty Little Sister so idk what it was...

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 11:34 am

Feyokien wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Feyokien wrote:

Ban is a very emotional word. Did they actually ban a book or just decide to not promote a book. I think that's a critical detail in all this.

I think ban is the correct term to some school district policies. I saw something even where Melania Trump criticized a school library for their refusal of a donation of his books.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 11:39 am

OutsideView wrote:
So the link in the OP says there was a study claiming that his books were full of white supremacy but the link Misslizard posted seems to be saying he was anti-racist but did some bad illustrations of Japanses people that he later regretted.

That's a good point. Others might hold a different opinion though. This really doesn't have to be an either or situation.

Nowhere have I read that the books have been banned by the detractors. And the scale is important. One school or hundreds. Need more than anecdotes. Anyone?

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 11:48 am

Feyokien wrote:
OutsideView wrote:

That's a good point. Others might hold a different opinion though. This really doesn't have to be an either or situation.

Nowhere have I read that the books have been banned by the detractors. And the scale is important. One school or hundreds. Need more than anecdotes. Anyone?

Send copies of Mein Kampf and The Peaceful Pills Handbook as donations to the libraries that have banned Dr Seuss.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 4:36 pm

I told you so.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 5:02 pm

Where were you and your "Righteous Indignation" back in 1989?

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss

Dr. Seuss’ environmental kid’s book was banned in 1989 in a California school because it was believed to portray logging in a poor light and would turn children against the foresting industry.  Members of the logging community were so upset by Dr. Seuss’ book that they sponsored the publication of a book called The Truax in an attempt to show children the need for foresting.  The Lorax has also been criticized for its excessive portrayal of consumerism.  The Once-ler represents a greedy America who wants the latest and greatest items, regardless of the consequences.

Note that The Lorax was banned by the Right because of its "Leftist/Liberal" perspective on the logging industry specifically, and capitalism/consumerism in general.  None of you complain about Dr. Seuss being banned by the Right, but only by the Left.  This is hypocrisy.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 5:06 pm

I've been a fan of Dr. Seuss books all my life and I still sometimes read them out loud for fun.

The "United" States, however, is getting more and more stupid and ridiculous every day. :-x