Page 9 of 25 [ 391 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 25  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2021, 6:22 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
For Phillips to play off of that to lie about that is uber repugnant. Even if Sandmann masturbates at night to dreams of killing blacks Phillips deserved to dragged through the mud, deserved to be dragged through a lot more mud.

Really? don't you think it was a story constructed as an antidote to the behaviour of the Covington school boys? Was Phillips a criminal? did he commit a crime? does it absolve the behaviour of the boys?

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2021, 7:09 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Nathan Phillip's background was unfairly dragged through the mud by those seeking to either bolster the case for Sandmann and his group of teenage racists schoolmates, and the newsmedia who also saw an opportunity to continue the drama of the Covington incident (not unlike the Meghan Vs Royal family saga) so happily published this.

What any reasonable person would surmise from the situation is that the Covington boys and specifically Nicholas Sandmann acted based on what they saw which was an old native american man trying to intervene to stop the boys from responding to group of black hebrews. Phillip's prior conduct had nothing to do with the racist taunts thrown at him so that argument is a red herring.

Due to Trump's interference (which should really have been sufficient justification to throw out the case in the first place) the real issues were never addressed by the media and not properly articulated by native Americans themselves.

1. The Covington catholic school is in a predominantly white republican area
2, the enrolment is 100% white
3. the school allowed the boys to wear MAGA paraphanelia as they walked in public which meabns their funding should be cut
4. the school allowed the boys to protest abortion (a political issue) which means their funding should be cut
5. the most important point is the group of boys were caught on camera being racist which is a reflection of the community they are from which allows such values to continue being passed on to the next generation perpetuating the apartheid in US society.

“Funding should be cut”??? Baaaaaahhhaahhahahahahahahaaaahaahaahaha!

You really, REALLY need to study up on how Catholic schools get funding. Catholic schools are basically private, religious schools funded through private tuition and donations from individuals and Catholic charities and administered by the local diocese. They aren’t under the control of any government or even the Vatican.

I worked in a Catholic school for a few years. My colleagues were sweet people, but distinctly quirky as Mississippi Delta people tend to be. Even the priests and the two nuns I got to know were pretty cool. At one time it catered to affluent Catholic families, but with a declining Catholic population shifted to more a school for troubled kids or for minority families to get their kids away from the cliques. For most families it was just a way for their boys to play football when they probably wouldn’t make the public school team. Many of those wouldn’t have been able to afford school without a local businessman “sponsoring” their kid, so you know there were a lot of kids there who really, REALLY didn’t want to be there and were only there for sports. Made me a tougher teacher because these kids like knowing their teachers don’t take crap from anyone. But I was also the band teacher and low on the food chain by default. That’s how I happen to know the parish was taking out loans to pay teacher salaries.

I no longer work there. :lol:

I’m not trying to make any particular point, but I can’t help but laugh my butt off at the idea of cutting Catholic school funding!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2021, 7:36 pm

Sorry in Australia private catholic schools get more funding by taxpayers than public schools. It's actually a serious issue.
https://www.aeuvic.asn.au/report-85-pri ... ic-schools

I am not sure what the situation is in Covington but this issue does exist in the US
https://tcf.org/content/commentary/taxp ... education/

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2021, 7:37 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
For Phillips to play off of that to lie about that is uber repugnant. Even if Sandmann masturbates at night to dreams of killing blacks Phillips deserved to dragged through the mud, deserved to be dragged through a lot more mud.

Really? don't you think it was a story constructed as an antidote to the behaviour of the Covington school boys? Was Phillips a criminal? did he commit a crime? does it absolve the behavior of the boys?

The Philips story was used for political purposes of course. One of my sources was the Military Times which seems nonpartisan to me. If the Washington Examiner which is a partison publication's story is wrong Phillips has one hell of a defamation case of his own. As far as I know, Phillips has not denied the story

No prosecutable crime was committed by the Covington Students nor by Phillips. In order to be prosecuted, Philips has to claim he was in the military when he was not, claim he had a higher rank than he did, claim he won an award for the purpose of tangible gain none of which he did. What he did was a moral horror.

Lets unpack what the Covington students actually did and not do that day. When they were approached and called all sorts of vile things by Black Hebrews did they immediately start brawling as most people healthy enough and especially teens would do racist or not?. No, they supposedly sang what is they claim is the school song. He wore a MAGA hat, to me supporting Trump is a matter of a lot of very bad judgments, which does not automatically mean racism. The Covington students did the Tomahawk chop, which can most plausibly be assumed to be racist, they claim it was in support of Phillips which would be a misguided racist way of supporting him to the point of straining credulity. Sandmann did do not that instead he did the smirk that triggered millions. I get that, I saw that smirk or something like it before getting bullied plenty of times myself. Also in uncomfortable confusing social situations, I have had that expression. In other words, the case for racism is weak circumstantially. If Sandman is a racist by this point there usually would be all sorts of offensive social media posts unearthed, a bunch of classmates or classmates claiming he said offensive stuff. Where are they?

Lets unpack Phillips's actions that day. He approached Catholic students for the purpose of what he claims was peacemaking. That evening a group led by Phillips apparently attempted civil disobedience at a Catholic church. Was that for peacemaking?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2021, 8:12 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Lets unpack what the Covington students actually did and not do that day. When they were approached and called all sorts of vile things by Black Hebrews did they immediately start brawling as most people healthy enough and especially teens would do racist or not?. If Sandman is a racist by this point there usually would be all sorts of offensive social media posts unearthed, a bunch of classmates or classmates claiming he said offensive stuff. Where are they?

umm watch the original video, the boys were making derogatory indian noises (like out of cowboy movies) and doing the tomohawk chop which despite claims was a school chant was actually timed to ridicule Phillips. There is also the ongoing mystery why the boy's minders were nowhere to be seen while this was happening nor when groups of them were harassing girls while wearing their Trump Nazi starter kit uniforms. Everyone knew Sandmann's smirk was supressing the urge to laugh at Phillips while all the racist chanting was going on behind him. In my view Trump's interference in the case likely swayed the newspaper who saw the likelihood of a big payout so opted to reduce the risk and settle out of court.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Lets unpack Phillips's actions that day. He approached Catholic students for the purpose of what he claims was peacemaking. That evening a group led by Phillips apparently attempted civil disobedience at a Catholic church. Was that for peacemaking?

How could this have been interpreted as inflammatory to the boys though? you are conflating seperate incidents

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 4:22 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Lets unpack what the Covington students actually did and not do that day. When they were approached and called all sorts of vile things by Black Hebrews did they immediately start brawling as most people healthy enough and especially teens would do racist or not?. If Sandman is a racist by this point there usually would be all sorts of offensive social media posts unearthed, a bunch of classmates or classmates claiming he said offensive stuff. Where are they?

umm watch the original video, the boys were making derogatory indian noises (like out of cowboy movies) and doing the tomohawk chop which despite claims was a school chant was actually timed to ridicule Phillips. There is also the ongoing mystery why the boy's minders were nowhere to be seen while this was happening nor when groups of them were harassing girls while wearing their Trump Nazi starter kit uniforms. Everyone knew Sandmann's smirk was supressing the urge to laugh at Phillips while all the racist chanting was going on behind him. In my view Trump's interference in the case likely swayed the newspaper who saw the likelihood of a big payout so opted to reduce the risk and settle out of court.

ASPartOfMe wrote:

How could this have been interpreted as inflammatory to the boys though? you are conflating seperate incidents

I think most people when somebody whom they do not know walks up to them and starts drumming would be nervous, especially when you add to that what had just happened with the black hebrews, so plausibly Sandmann could have been suppressing a nervous laugh. The whole thing has been interpreted as poor innocent native American ganged up on and mocked by a racist mob. The man is not innocent, he is a seasoned activist. Both his history of embellishing and what he did later that day caused me not to believe his peacemaker story. My guess is that he wanted to and expected to be physically attacked. As it turns out a smirk was better publicity for him then being physically attacked, funny world.

The “school song” was prior to the tomohawk chop which they claim was done in support of him. If you could not tell from my prior response a story I have trouble believing.

As far as the minders all I can say if I was his parents I would be suing the school and the media, and the celebrities.

Enough of Nazi references already. If you can proven the boys think genocide and world conquest is good idea then we can talk, otherwise this is just tiring and offensive.

The boys and him could both be scum. Why is this so hard to understand?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 02 May 2021, 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 4:32 am

Yeah I get it AS.

Phillips isn't an angel. But think of the all the native Americans who watched him get racially abused on youtube.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 4:42 am

cyberdad wrote:
Yeah I get it AS.

Phillips isn't an angel. But think of the all the native Americans who watched him get racially abused on youtube.

And that is on Sandmann how?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 4:31 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Yeah I get it AS.

And that is on Sandmann how?

He participated in the circus. I know I am reading too much into this but I have seen smirking teenage bullies with their bully friends behind them and this was a classic example. I think even those who defended him knew it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 8:07 pm

After conservative criticism, UNC backs down from offering acclaimed journalist tenured position

Quote:
In her career, Nikole Hannah-Jones, who is Black, has been awarded the Pulitzer Prize and a MacArthur Fellowship “Genius Grant.” But despite support from the UNC-Chapel Hill chancellor and faculty, she won’t be getting a tenure-track teaching position at her alma mater.
Nikole Hannah-Jones (Bell Tower photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)
Journalism school will instead offer Nikole Hannah-Jones a fixed five-year contract

In her career in journalism, Nikole Hannah-Jones has been awarded the Pulitzer Prize and a MacArthur Fellowship “Genius Grant.” But despite support from the UNC-Chapel Hill chancellor and faculty, she won’t be getting a tenured teaching position at her alma mater. At least not yet.

As Policy Watch reported last week, UNC-Chapel Hill’s Hussman School of Journalism and Media pursued Hannah-Jones for its Knight Chair in Race and Investigative Journalism, a tenured professorship. But following political pressure from conservatives who object to her work on “The 1619 Project” for The New York Times Magazine, the school changed its plan to offer her tenure — which amounts to a career-long appointment. Instead, she will start July 1 for a fixed five-year term as Professor of the Practice, with the option of being review

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 8:16 pm

what hypocrites

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 2:42 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
After conservative criticism, UNC backs down from offering acclaimed journalist tenured position
Quote:
In her career, Nikole Hannah-Jones, who is Black, has been awarded the Pulitzer Prize and a MacArthur Fellowship “Genius Grant.” But despite support from the UNC-Chapel Hill chancellor and faculty, she won’t be getting a tenure-track teaching position at her alma mater.
Journalism school will instead offer Nikole Hannah-Jones a fixed five-year contract

In her career in journalism, Nikole Hannah-Jones has been awarded the Pulitzer Prize and a MacArthur Fellowship “Genius Grant.” But despite support from the UNC-Chapel Hill chancellor and faculty, she won’t be getting a tenured teaching position at her alma mater. At least not yet.

As Policy Watch reported last week, UNC-Chapel Hill’s Hussman School of Journalism and Media pursued Hannah-Jones for its Knight Chair in Race and Investigative Journalism, a tenured professorship. But following political pressure from conservatives who object to her work on “The 1619 Project” for The New York Times Magazine, the school changed its plan to offer her tenure — which amounts to a career-long appointment. Instead, she will start July 1 for a fixed five-year term as Professor of the Practice, with the option of being review

Getting tenure at university is challenging to start of with.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 9:59 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:

Getting tenure at university is challenging to start of with.

I'm leaving myself room to go back for my doctorate and maybe go for a tenure track gig. One of the main challenges is the lack of philosophical diversity in academia. I could probably keep my mouth shut just enough to stay out of trouble. But there's also the problem that with so many tenure positions already filled, you're just waiting around for people to retire, die, or get canned over moral failings. I'm not getting any younger at 43 years, and most of these kids are jumping straight into their fellowships as soon as they go ABD from terminating degree programs. I'm still pretty sharp, so I doubt I'd ever have any problems going back. It's just a matter of making up my mind that I'd WANT to. I'm not sure it's worth the risk of coming up with that kind of money. Even in settings where doctoral candidates automatically get a free ride and maintain a rigorous work schedule, cost of living is absolute murder. Without knowing for an absolute fact that I'd have a job lined up after completion, it's defo not something I'm interested in doing. Given different circumstances, that could all change.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 4:37 pm

AngelRho wrote:
One of the main challenges is the lack of philosophical diversity in academia. I could probably keep my mouth shut just enough to stay out of trouble. But there's also the problem that with so many tenure positions already filled, you're just waiting around for people to retire, die, or get canned over moral failings. I'm not getting any younger at 43 years, and most of these kids are jumping straight into their fellowships as soon as they go ABD from terminating degree programs. I.

I have worked and still work in universities and my advice is identify a good supervisor (who spends time with his/her students) who has a high profile and is also well connected to granting bodies. Networking is the biggest asset in academia.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 12:12 pm

An interview with Emily Wilder, recent Stanford grad fired from AP job over criticisms of Israel

Quote:
Emily Wilder, a journalist and 2020 graduate of Stanford University, started a new job as an Associated Press news associate based in Maricopa County, Arizona, on May 3.

Two weeks later, she was unceremoniously fired by the news outlet after conservatives resurfaced old social media posts that drew attention from Republicans as prominent as Arkansas Sen. Tom Cotton. In Wilder's eyes, her firing is the latest example of right-wing cancel culture.

Wilder, who worked with the Arizona Republic upon graduation until this May, became a national news story after the Stanford College Republicans wrote a Twitter thread Monday highlighting Wilder's pro-Palestine activism in college as well as some of her old Facebook posts. In one post, Wilder referred to the late Sheldon Adelson — who was a Jewish billionaire, Republican mega-donor and staunch defender of Israel — as a "naked mole rat."

Wilder, who is Jewish, said she would not have used such language today.

Wilder, who worked with the Arizona Republic upon graduation until this May, became a national news story after the Stanford College Republicans wrote a Twitter thread Monday highlighting Wilder's pro-Palestine activism in college as well as some of her old Facebook posts. In one post, Wilder referred to the late Sheldon Adelson — who was a Jewish billionaire, Republican mega-donor and staunch defender of Israel — as a "naked mole rat."

Wilder, who is Jewish, said she would not have used such language today.

On Wednesday, two more conservative outlets — The Federalist and Fox News — published their own stories on Wilder, and Cotton tweeted of Wilder's employment, "Not a surprise from a media organization that shared office space with Hamas."

Wilder said she received an "onslaught of absolutely vile messages" as the story picked up steam. On Thursday, her employer delivered the final gut punch.

"They told me that I violated their social media policy and would be terminated immediately, but they never said which tweet or post violated the policy," she said. "I asked them, 'Please tell me what violated the policy,' and they said, 'No.'"

Wilder has since received support on Twitter, with several prominent journalists coming to her defense.

"Amazing how quickly a talented young reporter's career can be snuffed out by a Twitter mob that decided to feign outrage over some college tweets," tweeted the Washington Post's Glenn Kessler. "And if [Wilder] somehow violated @AP's social-media rules, the solution is to offer guidance, not termination, to a new reporter."

"'Hire [Emily Wilder]' is something more and more people are saying," wrote Kessler's Washington Post colleague Dave Weigel.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 11:17 pm

Criticising Israel is tricky but I agree with Biden that Israel has the right to retaliate against HAMAS if their civilians are being targeted.

Remember HAMAS took the first step in killing following the Israeli crackdown on Palestinian protest and dissent. I am sure if Cuba decided to launch rockets on Guantanamo bay, Havanna would be a a crater,