Page 22 of 25 [ 391 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2021, 11:58 pm

OK, thank you for explaining. I feel guilty that I haven't even read the whole thread, or the OP.

I hope I didn't hijack the original topic, but I saw the thing about white male racist doctors and needed to speak up.

Is that something you believe?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 12:01 am

AngelRho wrote:
You’re confusing the definition of “critical” in the context of CRT with the classic definition. Critical Race Theory is not a noun. It’s a verb. Watch the video I posted. All the way through. “Critical” means taking action to effect social change. There’s no “thinking” involved. The “theory” refers to an analytical system founded on the narrative of victim classes, namely minority races oppressed by a dominant culture, which is where “race” comes from. Initially there was no R, just the C and the T, and Critical Theory goes back to Kant and Marx. And don’t forget the contributions of Horkheimer et al. CRT is a spin-off and unique movement apart from CT. The term “CRT” was coined by Kimberlé Crenshaw. If you really want to know what this thing is, don’t take my word for it. Go to the source. Crenshaw, and the Khiara Bridges video is very well done. These are some of the pioneers of CRT. I’m not cherry-picking conservative propaganda to make a point or to caricature CRT discourse. These women very calmly lay out the tenets of CRT and are not unpleasant or demeaning. Khiara even mentions that CRT is an eclectic topic and can become very complex. But you’ll also note that I’m not wrong.

Before addressing the rest of your post, I wanted to just address the first part.

CRT is both a concept and a paradigm that may have been applied by different people over the years in different classrooms. Just because Crenshaw and Khiara Bridges recommend following their video as best practice does not mean it is followed in the same form (or if it all) in other schools.

My understanding is the there is no set/standard education curriculum across the entire US and curriculum set for primary/highschool will vary from state to state, How policies are interpreted for school curriculum in one state will also vary from school to school.

Both school boards and education departments are on the record as stating CRT is not delivered in primary or highschool,
Infact most teachers surveyed across the US agreed that CRT is not taught in their classroom.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/te ... y-n1272945

Therefore the assertion that CRT is being delivered in all schools and should be banned reflects ignorance on the part of republican state politicians and republican voters.

The image of parents (see below) wasting valuable school board time by disrupting meetings with protests is farcical and reflects cult like behaviour on the part of these parents over a non-existent problem

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 12:05 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
You've lost me again. I don't know when you're being facetious or not because I say what I mean.

My goal isn’t to be facetious. I’d been trying to represent the CRT voice as best I could before. That was when I called you Karen. I’ve since broken character and maintained the role of observer. I’m not trying to lampoon CRT, and I even posted a video if anyone ever wanted to compare my representation of it with someone who actually does advocate for CRT—an actual, well-known CRT scholar.

Also…I don’t mind admitting I’ve taken this as far as I believe I can. I’m kinda surprised the mods haven’t been called in already! It’s an offensive topic by nature.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 12:07 am

AngelRho wrote:
My goal isn’t to be facetious. I’d been trying to represent the CRT voice as best I could before. That was when I called you Karen. I’ve since broken character and maintained the role of observer. I’m not trying to lampoon CRT, and I even posted a video if anyone ever wanted to compare my representation of it with someone who actually does advocate for CRT—an actual, well-known CRT scholar.

Also…I don’t mind admitting I’ve taken this as far as I believe I can. I’m kinda surprised the mods haven’t been called in already! It’s an offensive topic by nature.

As an educator I think a lot of your content is bordering on hysteria. I am really concerned for your students Angel.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 12:28 am

The only thing I remember hearing about this issue was something about a New York high school graduation, where the teachers showed videos making fun of white people to the graduating assembly and their parents?

Was that real?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 12:41 am

AngelRho wrote:

What we disagree on isn’t that important at the moment.

Actually, it's important to me. I feel like I was set up and manipulated to provoke emotional reactions.

You insinuated that I'm racist and hysterical, and then played mind games about your meaning.

That's not cool.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 12:42 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
The only thing I remember hearing about this issue was something about a New York high school graduation, where the teachers showed videos making fun of white people to the graduating assembly and their parents?

Was that real?

Ironically when I searched in google for the story making fun of students at a New York school graduation I got this
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... n-way.html

Seems google is racist too :roll: since it assumes only black students are the victims of racism

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 2:12 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
https://nypost.com/2021/06/15/spence-school-showed-vid-that-tarred-and-feathered-white-women/

Here we go.

I think this was intended as a parody. Private elite schools (like this one) are exclusively white. The idea that it is offensive to white people makes me roll my eyes. Think about it. The students who go to this school (and probably the white female teachers) are so used to privilege that this was mean't to "change things up" for a laugh.

The hispanic mother who complained was being a Karen.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 2:15 am

cyberdad wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

As an educator I think a lot of your content is bordering on hysteria. I am really concerned for your students Angel.

Then you’re saying CRT is bordering on hysteria. All I’ve done is follow CRT to its logical conclusion, or as near to any kind of logical conclusion as anyone can get. Even posted a video for the sake of comparison, and that was from a key figure in CRT. If you think hysterics are involved, go back to the source. It’s not my views you’re struggling with.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 2:19 am

AngelRho wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

Then you’re saying CRT is bordering on hysteria. All I’ve done is follow CRT to its logical conclusion, or as near to any kind of logical conclusion as anyone can get. Even posted a video for the sake of comparison, and that was from a key figure in CRT. If you think hysterics are involved, go back to the source. It’s not my views you’re struggling with.

If you are not reading my posts at least read the links posted.

Q. Are you being asked to teach material you object to by school adminstrators or senior teachers/curriculum developers?

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 3:17 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

Actually, it's important to me. I feel like I was set up and manipulated to provoke emotional reactions.

You insinuated that I'm racist and hysterical, and then played mind games about your meaning.

That's not cool.

No mind games. I made it clear that I was attacking from a CRT framework.

And I think your feelings of being manipulated and provoked are probably typical of someone engaging with a proponent of CRT. Robin DiAngelo explains in her book White Fragility that you feel this way because you are being defensive. You don’t want to confront your own racism. You don’t want to think you’re a bad person. Khiara (in the video) even points out that racism doesn’t have to be intentional. It doesn’t even have to be irrational—actually, when I first watched that video, that comment really caught me off guard. I think racism is ALWAYS irrational. But Khiara Bridges and Robin DiAngelo will say that you are racist whether you meant to be or not and, quite often, you aren’t being intentionally racist when it happens. They’ll also tell you that racism doesn’t necessarily mean you are a bad person. It just means be careful and be aware of racism when you speak to someone. Our automatic response is to overreact and feel offended. And this is one aspect I’m not sure even I quite understand: Am I supposed to just ignore being called a racist, because feeling and acting offended just confirms that I really am racist? The reality is CRT does come across as offensive, it is impossible to engage someone who believes it, and it blanket generalizes all white people as oppressors.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 3:36 am

AngelRho wrote:
Am I supposed to just ignore being called a racist, because feeling and acting offended just confirms that I really am racist? The reality is CRT does come across as offensive, it is impossible to engage someone who believes it, and it blanket generalizes all white people as oppressors.

Who is calling you a racist

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 8:14 am

AngelRho wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

That's not cool.

And I think your feelings of being manipulated and provoked are probably typical of someone engaging with a proponent of CRT. Robin DiAngelo explains in her book White Fragility that you feel this way because you are being defensive. You don’t want to confront your own racism. You don’t want to think you’re a bad person. Khiara (in the video) even points out that racism doesn’t have to be intentional. It doesn’t even have to be irrational—actually, when I first watched that video, that comment really caught me off guard. I think racism is ALWAYS irrational. But Khiara Bridges and Robin DiAngelo will say that you are racist whether you meant to be or not and, quite often, you aren’t being intentionally racist when it happens. They’ll also tell you that racism doesn’t necessarily mean you are a bad person. It just means be careful and be aware of racism when you speak to someone. Our automatic response is to overreact and feel offended. And this is one aspect I’m not sure even I quite understand: Am I supposed to just ignore being called a racist, because feeling and acting offended just confirms that I really am racist? The reality is CRT does come across as offensive, it is impossible to engage someone who believes it, and it blanket generalizes all white people as oppressors.

No, that's not it. I didn't watch the videos or read any of the posts explaining CRT. I'm referring to the first post I wrote, talking about the medical system and doctors. Your response was that I was a Karen. But then I wasn't a Karen. (Because I suppose you have the power to giveth, and then taketh away internet slander about me, while still leaving the word visible on a public forum.) You also went on about how I was indoctrinated by a patriarchy. I had mentioned that I was dicked around by several doctors who misunderstood my autism and treated me badly, like the doctor who told me I was likely drunk when in fact I had a stroke. Somehow you knew that but you continued to play word games with me, judging my character and actually gaslighting me with suggestions that I'm racist or I live in horrible place. You thought it was funny to make me confused and you kept pulling my strings even when I asked you to explain what was happening.

I'm not interested in the politics behind this topic, because it's not something that affects my life. I don't think CRT is taught here and my kids aren't in public school anyway. I am interested in knowing why you'd mess with someone's head like that, just for shites and giggles.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 8:45 am

New Business Item 39 from the NEA. Teachers should teach CRT schools.
https://web.archive.org/web/20210705234008/https://ra.nea.org/business-item/2021-nbi-039/

Once it got out that the NEA was doing this, negative publicity pressured them to scrub it from their website.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 8:58 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

That's not cool.

No, that's not it. I didn't watch the videos or read any of the posts explaining CRT. I'm referring to the first post I wrote, talking about the medical system and doctors. Your response was that I was a Karen. But then I wasn't a Karen. (Because I suppose you have the power to giveth, and then taketh away internet slander about me, while still leaving the word visible on a public forum.) You also went on about how I was indoctrinated by a patriarchy. I had mentioned that I was dicked around by several doctors who misunderstood my autism and treated me badly, like the doctor who told me I was likely drunk when in fact I had a stroke. Somehow you knew that but you continued to play word games with me, judging my character and actually gaslighting me with suggestions that I'm racist or I live in horrible place. You thought it was funny to make me confused and you kept pulling my strings even when I asked you to explain what was happening.

I'm not interested in the politics behind this topic, because it's not something that affects my life. I don't think CRT is taught here and my kids aren't in public school anyway. I am interested in knowing why you'd mess with someone's head like that, just for shites and giggles.

Erm…no. As I said, I made it very clear that I was responding from a CRT point of view. I also made it very clear when I stopped doing that, and then I pointed out what CRT would have to say about things. I also very carefully explained how the whole Canada thing came about. I don’t actually think negatively of you or Canada. I apologize for the confusion.