Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 9:18 am

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 11:41 am

NBC Pulls Controversial 'Nurses' Episode From Digital, Future Airings Amid Backlash Over Orthodox Jew Storyline

Quote:
An episode of the NBC medical drama Nurses has earned condemnation from the Simon Wiesenthal Center over a plot involving an Orthodox Jew who refuses a bone graft from a potentially "Arab" or "woman" donor.

The controversy has led NBC to pull the episode from all digital platforms and future airings.

“The writers of this scene check all the boxes of ignorance and pernicious negative stereotypes right down to the name of the patient, Israel — payouts [sidelocks] and all," a statement reads. “In one scene, NBC has insulted and demonized religious Jews and Judaism."

The scene — which aired Feb. 9 in an episode called "Achilles Heel" and was first called out by the website Jew in the City — features a young Orthodox Jew named Israel laid up in a hospital bed after an accident. His father stands by his bedside, where he insists "the Creator" will heal him. A nurse counters that "medicine" is the answer to his shattered leg.

Soon a doctor informs them that Israel will require a bone graft — requiring part of a cadaver's leg to be surgically inserted into his own.

"You want to put a dead leg inside of me?" Israel asks.

"A dead goyim leg — from anyone. An Arab, a woman," his father says in horror.

"Or God forbid an Arab woman …" the nurse interjects, sarcastically.

Israel refuses the treatment, saying, "It's God who heals what he creates." His father looks on approvingly.

There are no restrictions in Orthodox Judaism regarding transplants from cadavers.

Only fundamentalist Christian characters are allowed to be portrayed as bigots and sexists apparently. Despite our history Jews can be bigots. My brother is married to a Mexican. We often discuss that we are glad one of my grandfathers was not alive to see that. 'Schwartz" is the Yiddish equivalent of the N-Word. I heard that word a number of times from older relatives growing up. There are plenty of fundamentalists of all religions who would say something like "It's God who heals what he creates" in a similar situation. There was an anti-lockdown/anti-mask riot by Orthodox Jews in Brooklyn last year after all.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2021, 5:36 am

Some saw Hitler’s mustache in Amazon’s new logo. Then Amazon made it more square

Quote:
Amazon is the latest company to step directly into the raging Internet-fire fueled by updates to beloved — or at least familiar — logos.

In the past decade, Airbnb’s new logo was compared to a butt. Some thought Slack’s refreshed hashtag logo looked like a swastika. People revolted online when Instagram ditched its retro camera in favor of a simplistic camera-outline.

And Amazon was accused of unintentionally invoking Hitler.

Last month, the e-commerce giant released an update to its flagship shopping app, complete with a brand new logo. It dropped its longtime shopping cart image, which had been in place for more than five years, in favor of Amazon’s smiling-face-arrow on a package with a ridged piece of blue tape. Positioned on top of the smile line, it looked a bit like the mustache of German dictator Adolf Hitler, users on Twitter pointed out.

Why are these powerful companies so afraid of a few people on social media?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2021, 6:18 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Some saw Hitler’s mustache in Amazon’s new logo. Then Amazon made it more square
Quote:
Amazon is the latest company to step directly into the raging Internet-fire fueled by updates to beloved — or at least familiar — logos.

In the past decade, Airbnb’s new logo was compared to a butt. Some thought Slack’s refreshed hashtag logo looked like a swastika. People revolted online when Instagram ditched its retro camera in favor of a simplistic camera-outline.

Last month, the e-commerce giant released an update to its flagship shopping app, complete with a brand new logo. It dropped its longtime shopping cart image, which had been in place for more than five years, in favor of Amazon’s smiling-face-arrow on a package with a ridged piece of blue tape. Positioned on top of the smile line, it looked a bit like the mustache of German dictator Adolf Hitler, users on Twitter pointed out.

I think it's because their "marketing"\"communications"\"PR" teams are generally made up of young people, fresh out of university, who believe the world revolves around social media and so thinks that the small subset of the population who use it (of which many are not vocal, and don't agree with the noisy rabble) are representative of the population as a whole, so whatever is said loudest there must be what everyone else believes. Added to that is the lazy "research" most media organisations do now, which relies on looking at (or initiating) "trends" on social media in order to have something to write about.

And then they are surprised when the rest of the population fights back to changes that were instigated to placate that vocal "social media" minority - Hence the "get woke, go broke" phrase.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2021, 6:41 am

Brictoria wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:

I think it's because their "marketing"\"communications"\"PR" teams are generally made up of young people, fresh out of university, who believe the world revolves around social media and so thinks that the small subset of the population who use it (of which many are not vocal, and don't agree with the noisy rabble) are representative of the population as a whole, so whatever is said loudest there must be what everyone else believes. Added to that is the lazy "research" most media organisations do now, which relies on looking at (or initiating) "trends" on social media in order to have something to write about.

And then they are surprised when the rest of the population fights back to changes that were instigated to placate that vocal "social media" minority - Hence the "get woke, go broke" phrase.

Social media is one tool. Tools are only as good as the people who use them. If these marketers do not understand that social media posters are skewed towards extremists and trolls then they are bad marketers.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 3:11 pm

I agree when cancel culture happens it's obviously not great, but I dont think it exists to anywhere near the level some people make out it does. It's just a current fashion phrase to use. They will think up a new phrase soon and will be hashtagging that.

there also recently seems to be quite a trend for claiming things are cancel culture when they are not. Now if you behave appallingly and someone takes action against you for that, you get to hide behind the claim that it's just cancel culture and you did nothing wrong.