What should i do?I am unemployed and have a bachelor's

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 11:06 pm

Hi everybody. I graduated college with a liberal arts degree several years ago. I would have gotten a STEM degree but i just could not do the higher level abstract math required. All of the entry-level jobs that require a college degree in my area require experience. I do not have experience because I felt like I needed to focus on my studies so I could make good grades. I did apply for jobs but did not get them when I was younger and still in school. I got with my state's vocational rehab services after I graduated with my bachelor's degree.

However, their level of service has been horrible because they have not helped me get my first entry-level job yet. I am afraid i will be stuck working in retail and jobs like that. It is disappointing because i went to college so i would not have to work jobs like grocery-store sacker. People think I am lazy and also they do not seem to believe that it is so hard for people like me that are on the spectrum to get a good job. I guess i will just have to work retail. What do you guys think i should do about my job situation? Thanks in advance.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 11:58 pm

The first thing you gotta do is search for a real job somewhere outside of Abbot's fiefdom.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Phoenix20
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Feb 2021, 12:31 am

It is a myth that a STEM degree makes a person more employable than a non-STEM degree. With or without a college degree, people with Autism/Aspergers have high rates of unemployment. You can not get a job because you have Autism/Aspergers. You can not get a job because you lack experience.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 12:44 am

Phoenix20 wrote:
It is a myth that a STEM degree makes a person more employable than a non-STEM degree.  With or without a college degree, people with Autism/Aspergers have high rates of unemployment.  You can not get a job because you have Autism/Aspergers.  You can not get a job because you lack experience.
<*ahem*> :roll:

← Aspie with a STEM degree and 25+ years in an engineering job over here!!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 1:03 am

<*ahem*> :roll:

← Autistic woman with two Arts degrees and 25 year career over here!!

Plus a LongTerm Disability package, benefits, and a Pension next year.

OP, Congrats on earning your degree. Keep applying to jobs you like, while possibly volunteering or doing internships in companies which seem promising.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 5:55 am

Aim higher.
Work out what you would like to do.
Then contact as many people in that field as you can and tell them how keen you are.
Practice explaining confidently your reasons for not having prior work experience and why that won't stop you from being a great employee.
(because you're right, if you leave it to the vocational rehab you'll get something low-paid and probably autism unfriendly)

Phoenix20
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Mar 2021, 12:45 am

With or without a degree it is so hard to get a job when you have Aspergers/Autism. There are too many obstacles in the way that make it hard getting a job for a person with Aspergers/Autism. I believe everyone deserves the right to a job and get welfare if they need it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2021, 9:15 am

Fnord wrote:
The first thing you gotta do is search for a real job somewhere outside of Abbot's fiefdom.
... and by "real" job, I mean in something other than retail; because with commerce migrating to on-line outlets, retail jobs are becoming harder to find, and retail jobs that pay a living wage are almost impossible to find.  In my opinion, whatever the OP's degree is in is the kind of job he should be looking for outside of Texas.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2021, 11:00 pm

Fnord wrote:
Fnord wrote:
... and by "real" job, I mean in something other than retail; because with commerce migrating to on-line outlets, retail jobs are becoming harder to find, and retail jobs that pay a living wage are almost impossible to find.  In my opinion, whatever the OP's degree is in is the kind of job he should be looking for outside of Texas.

Where would you suggest outside of Texas?Texas is one of the best states for jobs.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 4:07 am

Leaving Texas is not really an option.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 4:22 am

Phoenix20 wrote:
It is a myth that a STEM degree makes a person more employable than a non-STEM degree. With or without a college degree, people with Autism/Aspergers have high rates of unemployment. You can not get a job because you have Autism/Aspergers. You can not get a job because you lack experience.

well STEM degrees tend to be higher-paying than non-STEM degrees.I guess I should have clarified.i thought college was going to help me but it appears like it was a mistake on my part.I am afraid no company will give me a good job because I am 30 with no experience and have been unemployed ever since I graduated college several years ago. I guess i will just have to work min wage type jobs for the rest of my working for others career.

My parents are debating giving up on the state vocational rehab job training services but that would mean we would have to pay for a job coach.We would pay the job coach more than I would get paid so the job would be a losing proposition money wise while we have private job coach.Also, I am not even due min wage because Americans with disabilities are not automatically due min wage legally.People dont seem to understand that I can not get my first entry-level career track job.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 6:02 am

Why do you need a job coach? The college you graduated from should have a career placement office. That is where to start.

Vocational rehabilitation has an obligation to try to place you in an appropriate level job. Google to find the state ombudsman to complain. OR use your current coach to teach you how to write your resume and conduct yourself in an interview and then cut them loose. OR contact your state disability rights organization. They should have someone who specializes in employment and who can advocate for you in your voc rehab situation to make them give you the services you need.

Contact former professors to let them know you are looking for work and see if they have any leads.

What do you have in mind for a career? I hear you say you thought a college degree would help you get a better job, but what kind of a job were you thinking of?

Also, people with disabilities must be paid minimum wage. There is a small exception for people who work in sheltered workshops, but that it not you. You must be paid minimum wage.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 5:08 pm

blazingstar wrote:
Why do you need a job coach? The college you graduated from should have a career placement office. That is where to start.

Vocational rehabilitation has an obligation to try to place you in an appropriate level job. Google to find the state ombudsman to complain. OR use your current coach to teach you how to write your resume and conduct yourself in an interview and then cut them loose. OR contact your state disability rights organization. They should have someone who specializes in employment and who can advocate for you in your voc rehab situation to make them give you the services you need.

Contact former professors to let them know you are looking for work and see if they have any leads.

What do you have in mind for a career? I hear you say you thought a college degree would help you get a better job, but what kind of a job were you thinking of?

Also, people with disabilities must be paid minimum wage. There is a small exception for people who work in sheltered workshops, but that it not you. You must be paid minimum wage.

I need a job coach to train me how to do the job.We complained to the state but that did not work or help us in any significant and meaningful way.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2021, 5:01 am

blazingstar wrote:

Hi i want to work for a oil and gas company for a few years in a office till my small business in the oilfield gets off the ground.The working for others part is only temporary because i want to be a lease flipper in the oilfield full-time.I am doing my business part-time right now.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 5:20 pm

My BFF and I both found employment by trying different jobs and finding a neurodiverse-friendly hiring manager or ally.

Contracting (temping) was critical for me to find where I fit. After 3 years of that (loved it!), I found a 20-year-career. Now for something new!

My ASD-like BFF went back for a Master then took low-level jobs for a long time, until she found her fit --- she's now 15 years in her career and going strong.

Good luck!

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 6:10 pm

SharonB wrote:
My BFF and I both found employment by trying different jobs and finding a neurodiverse-friendly hiring manager or ally.

Contracting (temping) was critical for me to find where I fit. After 3 years of that (loved it!), I found a 20-year-career. Now for something new!

My ASD-like BFF went back for a Master then took low-level jobs for a long time, until she found her fit --- she's now 15 years in her career and going strong.

Good luck!

Thanks SharonB.