What should i do?I am unemployed and have a bachelor's

Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 3:31 pm

Eurythmic wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

I do not really know how a liberal arts degree is applicable to getting a office job with a oil and gas company .....

I don't either.

When you enrolled in your liberal arts degree what sort of work were you planning on securing after you've finished it?
You've spent a number of years studying something, now is your chance to put it to work in your chosen field.

I planned on working in the office of a fracking company because a lot of 9 to 5 office jobs require a bachelor's degree.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2021, 9:08 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I planned on working in the office of a fracking company because a lot of 9 to 5 office jobs require a bachelor's degree.

Let me guess, the oil and gas company don't see the knowledge you gained over several years of hard study as being any use in their office? They probably employ geologists, industrial chemists, engineers and associated support staff.

What sort of work did your friends from uni obtain after they graduated?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2021, 11:03 pm

Eurythmic wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Let me guess, the oil and gas company don't see the knowledge you gained over several years of hard study as being any use in their office? They probably employ geologists, industrial chemists, engineers and associated support staff.

What sort of work did your friends from uni obtain after they graduated?

I dont see it being possible for me to get a job with a fracking company or any other career-track clerical job because i have been unemployed for close to 5 years and I have no paid work experience and I am 30.At this point I wonder if I should just take a McJob.

However, I am afraid of doing that because most college grads who have a first job after college at a McJob are stuck working McJobs for the rest of their career.I just dont see a oil company being too eager to hire me because I am autistic.My old friend from junior college went into the trades.I dont have any friends from the university.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 5:54 am

Then by all means get a McJob, or any job at all!

You look much more attractive to an employer if you're presently employed rather than unemployed for almost 5 years. Earning money is also much better than earning zilch!

Also look around at stuff you can do with what you've learned in your degree. Either paid or voluntary, using it in some capacity in the real world will consolidate your knowledge and demonstrate your skills in that field.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 5:24 pm

Eurythmic wrote:
Then by all means get a McJob, or any job at all!

You look much more attractive to an employer if you're presently employed rather than unemployed for almost 5 years. Earning money is also much better than earning zilch!

Also look around at stuff you can do with what you've learned in your degree. Either paid or voluntary, using it in some capacity in the real world will consolidate your knowledge and demonstrate your skills in that field.

Okay thanks for the tips.

Phoenix20
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Mar 2021, 12:41 am

The stereotype of a person with Aspergers is a lazy, unmotivated person who prefers doing anything instead of working. You have completed a Bachelor's degree and your laziness and lack of motivation keeps you unemployed. Finding a job is a job requires hard work and that does not come easy to a lazy, unmotivated person with Aspergers.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 1:28 am

Phoenix20 wrote:
The stereotype of a person with Aspergers is a lazy, unmotivated person who prefers doing anything instead of working. You have completed a Bachelor's degree and your laziness and lack of motivation keeps you unemployed. Finding a job is a job requires hard work and that does not come easy to a lazy, unmotivated person with Aspergers.

Hi Phoenix20.I have been trying to get a job for the better part of 5 years.The state of Texas wont do their duty and help me get a job.I am a hard worker but nobody will give me a shot because I have no experience and I have been unemployed for about 5 years.I cant work without a state job coach initially because then we would have to pay a private job coach more than I would make so that would defeat the purpose.I guess If push comes to shove and worst-case scenario happens i could live off of oil wells,business income,rent houses and inheritance/trust fund/stock market.I would work hard at a job but nobody will give me a shot.Working for others would only be a few years not a 30-40 year thing in my case.

Diamondgirl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Mar 2021, 6:06 am

I can't give practical advice because I don't really know about the American safety network for employment. Firstly, congratulations on getting your degree, it's something you should be proud of regardless of the fact that degrees no longer give a person an automatic edge when it comes to employment. You don't say what industry you are looking in but I think you should consider the option of volunteering if it's available. Even if it doesn't lead to a job volunteering can give you a taste of what is out there and provide a network to motivate you and help you become known.

Look after paying the rent first but don't give up on your dreams either.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2021, 4:41 am

Diamondgirl wrote:
I can't give practical advice because I don't really know about the American safety network for employment. Firstly, congratulations on getting your degree, it's something you should be proud of regardless of the fact that degrees no longer give a person an automatic edge when it comes to employment. You don't say what industry you are looking in but I think you should consider the option of volunteering if it's available. Even if it doesn't lead to a job volunteering can give you a taste of what is out there and provide a network to motivate you and help you become known.

Look after paying the rent first but don't give up on your dreams either.

Hi Diamondgirl.Thank you for the congrats on getting my degree.....i went through a lot to get that degree.Too bad the degree did not help me get a job.I want to work in the oil and gas fracking business as a worker for a few years.I dont really like the idea of volunteering because you dont get paid.
But my goal and ambition is to be a serial entrepreneur full time so the whole working thing would only be temporary.

I am thinking about giving up on trying to get a job because the state supported services have not helped me and i lost my caseworker recently.I dont think the state of Texas will get me a good job.I just get down some times because i feel hopeless about having no job and not having anything to do.I dont want to work a mcjob because then my degree would of been wasted.College was a waste in my case.I just wish college was still the meal ticket it used to be.I really wish i would never gone to college.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2021, 8:45 pm

Find your way, but reminder: my AS-like BFF and I both were significantly underemployed for many years after college (she had a masters!) and we both eventually blossomed. Way later than most, because we are thrifty and persevere, we're now doing better than most. Hang in there!

Last week I applied for a job that's way "beneath" me (for temporary part-time work), as well as started volunteering (again temporary) --- I know it's not typical, but I am following my instinct of what will carry and lift me while I continue my job search.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2021, 8:49 pm

SharonB wrote:
Find your way, but reminder: my AS-like BFF and I both were significantly underemployed for many years after college (she had a masters!) and we both eventually blossomed. Way later than most, because we are thrifty and persevere, we're now doing better than most. Hang in there!

Last week I applied for a job that's way "beneath" me (for temporary part-time work), as well as started volunteering (again temporary) --- I know it's not typical, but I am following my instinct of what will carry and lift me while I continue my job search.

Okay thanks SharonB.I am so glad that you and your bff are doing better than most.Best of luck to you.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2021, 9:23 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Okay thanks SharonB.I am so glad that you and your bff are doing better than most.Best of luck to you.

Clarification: Mine was wry humor related to neurotypical pressures and expectations. Our 20s and 30s were awful (an understatement - worst than most). Now near 50, we're still struggling in general, but it's a different life stage and we have areas of self-defined success (not neurotypical-defined - better than most). Wishing you can have a sense of that sooner than later. There is no way I could have anticipated it 20 years ago.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2021, 11:51 am

SharonB wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Clarification: Mine was wry humor related to neurotypical pressures and expectations. Our 20s and 30s were awful (an understatement - worst than most). Now near 50, we're still struggling in general, but it's a different life stage and we have areas of self-defined success (not neurotypical-defined - better than most). Wishing you can have a sense of that sooner than later. There is no way I could have anticipated it 20 years ago.

Okay i see.Thank you.