Are you ashamed of parts of your country's history?

Page 3 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 9:35 am

I wouldn't feel ashamed if I were a German and knew that a few of my countrypeople were complicit in killing about 12 million people from the late 30s to the mid 40s.

Because I wasn't complicit in what happened.

The Nazi Era is not the Whole Germany----not by a long shot.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 5:55 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
quite an extreme wrote:
Any election of Merkel. No country deserves such a disgrace. 8O :?

What's wrong with Angela?

There was nearly nothing good for Germany or the German people that she ever did in all the years only a lot of total s**t. Beside of that lasts that nasty dictatorship to long already just because of the brainless ones who elect her. The taxes are higher than ever (and by far higher then in USA) and lots of islamistic s**theads are in Germany now. The poorest people have more problems then ever and the people here have less civil rights at all now. Do you like her? What for?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 6:01 pm

Yes, there's aspects of which are shameful to the state that committed them. I don't bear that shame personally and I don't believe others inherently bear their nation's shames either.

(ie: not all Americans deserve to feel ashamed that Loser Donald was their president and the ones who do because inflicted that shameful period are proud of the damage they caused)

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 6:19 pm

I personally see myself as a sentient being. A sentient being of that which is called existence.
As all sentient beings are, sentient beings of that which is called existence.

I also believe that each of us are responsible for our own actions and the consequences that we are aware of,
at least to the level that we are conscious of (unless not conscious due to self intoxication).

I am not sure about re-incarnation. So i do not hold people responsible for the actions that they may have committed in previous lives, as this knowledge is presently out of our scope of knowledge.

Do i think people have committed atrocities in history. For sure.
Do I think people who did not commit these atrocities should be held responsible for the crimes that others have committed. I do not.

There are circumstances however where people of certain countries have in the past committed offences against other peoples, whom they are now friends with and are no longer at war with. In some cases, one peoples may have stolen holy artefacts from other cultures and the peoples from the victimised cultures may want their sacred artefacts back.

I feel that it is in the best interest of peace between such peoples for such sacred belongings to be returned to their place of origins perhaps with an apology.

Should people spend the rest of eternity in disgrace for the actions of people who are no longer alive.
I do not believe that would be just.

I however do believe in a united world where all people are equal. I am an idealist.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 6:53 pm

None of us can change the past. We can learn the reasons why things happened as they did and I think many are rather uneducated here, especially due to the political agendas which come over in the press which are designed to cause conflict and unequality rather then resolve it. They are using people like pawns to make money.
(Take a look at the whole picture. Stand back and see what is happening. Look beyond black/white or any other concept. Who stands to gain by causing a rift between the races? Stand back and look).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Lets move on and live in the present.

WE ARE RESPONSIBLE TO FORGIVE THOSE WHO HAVE HURT US AND WRONGFULLY USE US.

It is sheer cowardice to act in revenge against anyone directly or indirectly e.g. damaging their property.

TREAT OTHERS WITH THE RESPECT AND LOVE THAT WE WANT TO RECIEVE TOWARDS US.

Allow others to make mistakes. Allow them to say the wrong things. Allow them to get their frustrations off their chest. Then one can share what it is like from ones own perspective... Not in anger. But in love.
Then we will learn to respect and love each other.

Posts that are designed to open wounds never help heal the rifts that have been caused on both sides. Yes explore the past but paint the whole picture. Do not just paint the press like "Politically correct" one sided approach which is designed to cause division so they have more to report on at a later date. Often the press are paid by governments to push certain agendas so they can hide other more important things. It is the old decoy ploy. They passed new laws restricting our freedoms while everyone was mixed up on the BLM debate. They hardly mentioned these new laws. They then continually push covid rather then report on how the worlds richest people have increased their riches by 31% on the backs of the pandemic. It has been one of their largest money making projects in recent history! While we think "Pandemic" and "Vaccine" they think "Profit" and "Control".

Stand back and look around you. Don't be thick and get caught up in needless details. Look at what is happening and see the larger picture.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 6:53 pm

I'm not ashamed of history I didn't create.

Likewise, I'm not ashamed of current decisions made by leaders I never endorsed, either.

I do think we could be more open about some of the things that happened in the past, but then that might have interesting consequences for those in charge today. I doubt anything too challenging to the status quo will be allowed to occur.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 6:58 pm

Shame means that you feel like an unworthy person. You view your entire self as bad.

No, I don't feel ashamed by my country's many transgressions. I feel upset, and bothered, and outspoken about them at times, but I don't feel personal shame. Every country has a dark history of unmentionable treatment toward human beings. If I'm going to be "ashamed" of one country, I'll be ashamed of all of them. I'll be ashamed of the fact that I'm a human being, living on this planet with its sordid past. That's not productive, so I'd rather be mindful of the mistakes which have been made worldwide, and strive to correct them in my daily conduct.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 6:59 pm

Isabella wins the Internet! Couldn't have put it better myself....

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 7:54 pm

quite an extreme wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
quite an extreme wrote:

There was nearly nothing good for Germany or the German people that she ever did in all the years only a lot of total s**t. Beside of that lasts that nasty dictatorship to long already just because of the brainless ones who elect her. The taxes are higher than ever (and by far higher then in USA) and lots of islamistic s**theads are in Germany now. The poorest people have more problems then ever and the people here have less civil rights at all now. Do you like her? What for?

Because she stood up to Trump, a notorious misogynist and fascistic bully who I despise.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2021, 7:15 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
quite an extreme wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
quite an extreme wrote:

Because she stood up to Trump, a notorious misogynist and fascistic bully who I despise.

"Stood up to" makes it sound so much more heroic.
But I agree to some extent with QuiteAnExtreme, Merkel's reign has been a bit of a disaster over all. Of course, it's not all her fault. There's been crisis after crisis, the ECB lowering interest rates and austerity and so on. She didn't handle those things too well, but other countries did much worse.
I want her gone because she is *very aggressively* not making decisive decisions. Letting in refugees was basically the only time she made a move, and immediately pulled back. So now there's traumatized people and idiot teenage boys from other cultures here, but the necessary services, the language courses, the cultural adaptation courses etc. Haven't been extended. It was half-arsed in the worst way -the way that fuels nationalist sentiment.
Merkel is the bad kind of bureaucrat: no vision but opportunistic.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2021, 9:34 am

I am a sentient being
one of many in this galaxy
full of thoughts and emotions
on my experience of reality

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2021, 9:51 am

Isn't everybody? Mankind has a problem. We were never meant to be.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2021, 9:52 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Isabella wins the Internet! Couldn't have put it better myself....

Ditto!! !!

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2021, 9:55 am

That lab in Milan should be ashamed of killing people by Coronavirus.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2021, 5:50 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Trump did want the American people and the USA to improve. That's totally the opposite of Merkel regarding Germany. :wink:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2021, 6:01 pm

RightGalaxy wrote:
Isn't everybody? Mankind has a problem. We were never meant to be.

Agreed.

I wonder where that asteroid it, btw. :mrgreen: