Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

What is th worst aspect of Current Social Media (choose three)?
Privacy 23%  23%  [ 9 ]
Lack of Accountability 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Fraud 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Impersonation 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Archaic Rules 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Hidden Agendas 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Propoganda 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
People with multiple accounts 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Unusual 'rules' that ellude Autistics 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Hard to find potential freinds 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
A general nastiness of users 25%  25%  [ 10 ]
Sarcasm and Joke Answers 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 40

sitko
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Mar 2021, 1:44 pm

Hi,
I'm new to Wrong Planet, I plan to spend a lot of time here, as I was recently identified as being Aspergers/ASD level 1/"High Functioning". A late stage identification.

I'm working on a software project, and looking for other aspie developers, preferably Microsoft Stack (C#, javascript), but I'm not rigid in this technology. If a bunch of you suggests using a different language as it would be better for what I have in mind, then I could be convinced. I have reasons I picked Microsoft stack, they are: I know it, I plan to maybe use Unity in this project, and I know C# is it's language.

I currently designing a brand new social network. I have a lot of problems with existing social networks, like Facebook, Reddit and even dating sites. It has some interesting features so far, but I'm looking for additional team members to help me make up for my deficits. My executive function sucks, so I have a hard time getting projects started. But, if I can gather the right individuals I think we can all work remotely and create a killer app.

Team members types needed:
Project Manager Type. Someone who can do that Project Management stuff, in a nice way. No need to be nasty, right?
Tech-Heads: People who are a coding savants. I think I'm a decent programmer, but my skills are dated, I intend to be lead designer, and work on coding as needed. Ideally, you like bouncing ideas off of each other by email or voice chat.

While I don't want to reveal any trade secrets yet, I can say that here are some...

Interesting Aspects that will/could be used in this project:
SQL Server
A modifiable environment which Users could modify easily
A lot of simple communications between Users and the App server
Artificial Intelligence using fuzzy logic.
perhaps a built in role playing game (more on this later)

My intention is to form a discussion group, setup a Discord Server, and have some conversations (voice only), or just text based if we are in different schedules. Talk about our work styles, projects we've worked on, things we'd like to work on, etc. Figure out if we gel. If so, then have discussions about problems with current social networks, and what things would be important for a Anti-Social Network. If we are still on the same page, then after that, reveal my design and bounce ideas off of you.

Thanks.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 1:49 pm

"Fraud, Impersonation, and Propaganda"

You left out Fascists, Nationalists, Nazis, Neo-Nazis, and other Right-Wing Extremists.

You also left out Ableists, Racists, Sexists, and other Bigots and Hate-Mongers.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

aspiecoder
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2021, 1:17 am

Interesting project idea. On a similar note, I've considered building a social network for aspies before (and the concept could easily be broadened to anyone who has different interests and may not fit in on regular social networks). My primary idea was to provide a space for aspies to display their talents to others and engage more easily around their special interests. In particular any creative types could share their artwork or creations with a wider audience and that naturally provides an avenue for conversations to form around it. I think something like this could bring people together around common interests, something that current social networks can be hit or miss on.

Anyway, good luck with the project. I hope yours will succeed. I think you'll need to share more of the idea to attract interest. My advice is not to worry too much about someone stealing your idea because most people don't have the time and energy to build it and even if they did, you can just build it better. The idea isn't where the value is. The value is in the execution, the end product. For a social network the value isn't even in what you build. Ultimately it will be in the people who use it and the ability to attract more people to it.

If you're using Unity, is it intended to be a game or something more like second life? Or would there be a web app as well, more like a typical social network?

sitko
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Mar 2021, 9:21 pm

aspiecoder,
I sent you a private note, but I also wanted to post a response here to 'help' the community.

I also initially thought of this as an aspie only social network, that's where I started. Then I expanded it, and expanded it, and expanded it. Now it's the Facebook Killer. I hope to get rid of all social media (that's negative). Don't worry, Wrong Planet, I'm not coming for you, yet.

I'm going to start an Aspie Discord group (when I figure out how to do that). Where we could meet and talk about stuff. Start with Voice only. I'd also hope to figure out which of you could (or wanted to) help me on my Facebook Killer.

More minds think better than one, unless that one mind is Aspie!

Let me know (by reply here) if your interested in it. Since this is a type of an interview, for special bonus points, post an idea on how to improve social media.

binstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Mar 2021, 2:57 am

Fnord wrote:
"Fraud, Impersonation, and Propaganda"

You left out Fascists, Nationalists, Nazis, Neo-Nazis, and other Right-Wing Extremists.

You also left out Ableists, Racists, Sexists, and other Bigots and Hate-Mongers.

Cancel culture is another thing that is missing.

PS. My apologies to the OP, I know this thread isn't about that.
Sounds like an interest project.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2021, 7:09 am

I would have to say the bots and scammers.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 1:10 pm

sitko wrote:
I'm working on a software project, and looking for other aspie developers, preferably Microsoft Stack (C#, javascript), but I'm not rigid in this technology.

I would strongly recommend that you avoid Microsoft in favor of something that can run on a Unix-like (Linux or BSD) server. Microsoft still is much more vulnerable to malware.

And there are many advantages to using open source products, besides the fact that they don't cost you any money. (Free as in freedom, not just free as in free beer. And, for even more freedom, use BSD and/or Apache-licensed stuff, not GNU/GPL, but that's another matter....)

As for languages, I would recommend Java (servlets, NOT applets), on the back end. Java is in the same general language family as C#, so should be easy for you to learn. I recommend Java servlets via Apache Tomcat (not plain Apache) as your web server.

For web front end there's not much choice other than Javascript. If you want phone apps as well as a web front end, you could use either Objective C or Swift for the front end on an iphone.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 3:44 pm

Below are reviews of possible alternatives to Unity (although I can't personally vouch for how good any of them are):

- Open Source Unity Alternatives
- Free Unity Alternatives
- What is the best open source alternative to Unity?
- Alternatives to Unity
- What is the best alternative to Unity3D?
- Open source alternative to Unity and Unreal
- Introduction to Unity Alternatives
- Unity Alternatives & Competitors
- Good stable game engine alternatives to Unity3d and Unreal Engine4?

Anyhow, from what I've read, it appears that Unity can be used on platforms other than Microsoft. Still there are many advantages of going with something open-source if you can.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 3:58 pm

aspiecoder wrote:
Interesting project idea. On a similar note, I've considered building a social network for aspies before (and the concept could easily be broadened to anyone who has different interests and may not fit in on regular social networks). My primary idea was to provide a space for aspies to display their talents to others and engage more easily around their special interests. In particular any creative types could share their artwork or creations with a wider audience and that naturally provides an avenue for conversations to form around it. I think something like this could bring people together around common interests, something that current social networks can be hit or miss on.

This is a really great idea. I would suggest something that helps bring people together not only by common interests, but also by locale, to increase the likelihood that people can meet in person.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 5:00 pm

Now for more general comments on the original post:

sitko wrote:
I currently designing a brand new social network. I have a lot of problems with existing social networks, like Facebook, Reddit and even dating sites.

So do I.

One of my main issues with Facebook it its "real names" policy. Pseudonyms should be allowed and even encouraged, to protect people's privacy.

My biggest issue with all of the major social networking sites, especially Twitter, is that they are too much of a disorganized free-for-all, resulting in really nasty, impatient mob mentality.

Also, an important issue to consider is preventing and counteracting online harassment. There needs to be a specific policy against doxxing, for example.

But then there's the big question of how policies get enforced. That's a tough problem for anything bigger than a small volunteer-run message board like Wrong Planet. It is something that will need to be considered very carefully.

sitko wrote:
It has some interesting features so far, but I'm looking for additional team members to help me make up for my deficits. My executive function sucks, so I have a hard time getting projects started. But, if I can gather the right individuals I think we can all work remotely and create a killer app.

Team members types needed:
Project Manager Type. Someone who can do that Project Management stuff, in a nice way. No need to be nasty, right?

I'm probably better at this than most Aspies.

sitko wrote:
Tech-Heads: People who are a coding savants. I think I'm a decent programmer, but my skills are dated, I intend to be lead designer, and work on coding as needed. Ideally, you like bouncing ideas off of each other by email or voice chat.

How about text-based chat? IMO email is best for exchange of really in-depth technical info, while voice chat is best for preliminary brainstorming, but real-time text-based chat is best for technical discussion in between these two extremes.

My boyfriend and I work as a team of programmers. More about this here.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 14 Mar 2021, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 5:36 pm

sitko wrote:
I also initially thought of this as an aspie only social network, that's where I started. Then I expanded it, and expanded it, and expanded it. Now it's the Facebook Killer.

Sounds very ambitious. Do you have a marketing plan?

If you expect fast growth, you'll also need something that can be quickly and easily scaled up.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 6:33 pm

Three answers is not enough.

I have a facebook account, but not under my own name. It is with a relatively rare name (the spelling anyway) and only a couple of people know what it is.

The main reason is so that I can sign onto facebook in order to avoid facebook's nagging to sign up in order to view the facebook pages of local restaurants and businesses. Also, some news and other web sites let you use your facebook account in order to post a message. So I get an extra advantage from the anonymity in someone with a really strange name that is not connected to me posting messages on a topic.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2021, 5:02 am

kokopelli wrote:

I have a facebook account, but not under my own name. It is with a relatively rare name (the spelling anyway) and only a couple of people know what it is.

You've gotten away with this so far, but don't count on getting away with it indefinitely. Facebook does occasionally (and unpredictably) crack down and require some people to upload a scan of photo ID.

kokopelli wrote:
The main reason is so that I can sign onto facebook in order to avoid facebook's nagging to sign up in order to view the facebook pages of local restaurants and businesses. Also, some news and other web sites let you use your facebook account in order to post a message. So I get an extra advantage from the anonymity in someone with a really strange name that is not connected to me posting messages on a topic.

For the purpose of news website posting, you could probably use a Twitter account instead. While I strongly dislike Twitter in general, I'm under the impression that they don't have a "real names" policy, at least. (I'll have to scrutinize their terms of service to verify this.)

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 3:10 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
kokopelli wrote:

You've gotten away with this so far, but don't count on getting away with it indefinitely. Facebook does occasionally (and unpredictably) crack down and require some people to upload a scan of photo ID.

kokopelli wrote:

For the purpose of news website posting, you could probably use a Twitter account instead. While I strongly dislike Twitter in general, I'm under the impression that they don't have a "real names" policy, at least. (I'll have to scrutinize their terms of service to verify this.)

The name is not unusual even if the spelling is a bit off, but there are other people with that same name.

I thought of using a last name with four z's in it that, but felt that would be obviously bogus.

The last name that I did use is the same (with an extra letter) as a former resident of my community back in the 1910s and it was one of the more common names in the community.

jole
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Mar 2021, 7:59 am

Interesting idea. I've been working on an imageboard myself, and it's basically working now. Written in C and using the FS instead of SQL or anything like that. I'm making it for my country since the only "country-wide" social media is a reddit subreddit.

Good luck with your social media, and I agree you should avoid microsoft. It's freeing to just upload a binary to a $5/mo VPS and test it out.

jole
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Mar 2021, 8:13 am

Oh and one more thing. I would be interesting to have a chat client where messages dissapeared very quickly as if it were a real conversation, maybe even sending each keystroke directly (though that would be a bit extreme and privacy concern). I find a lot of chat clients are overwhelming, you send a message now, get a response in an hour after having forgotten what you even said. It would be interesting if you had to schedule/request a meeting with someone and then act as if it were a real conversation.

If you wanted to take a break you'd have to let them know directly, if you didn't whatever they said would be gone when you came back.