Is it normal or common for late bloomers to feel this way?

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 12:30 am

you could also say, i envy people who lost their virginity in high school, and had a decent, fine enough sex life in their late teens and early 20s, 20s, etc.

Something else related to this, one of my aunts, who is my Mom's youngest sister, she didn't get married for the first time in her life until her 50's, her husband is the same age, they were both almost 50 when they met. While my aunt had dated before and been in short-term relationships, don't know how long, but nothing serious until she met her husband.

Her husband has made this comment towards her, saying "I wish we met 20 years ago, or just met 20 years earlier".

That comment hit me hard mentally, emotionally, i didn't cry though but it was very touching.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 6:40 pm

even though people will always say there is no age-cap or age-limit on love, dating, relationships, i strongly believe its part of human nature for people to wish they met their partner earlier

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 2:02 pm

Yes & no.

It's probably fairly common - it does get griped about on these forums a fair bit.

Way back when I was a teenager it bothered me more, but then once I was sexually active it didn't bother me much.

Does it bother me that I'm 38 and never been in a relationship and the prospects of that ever happening are relatively slim being gay & autistic? Sometimes. But not to the degree that it used to, that's for sure. I certainly don't dwell on it. In part because I can at least be as sexually active as I want to be, I'm sure. But still, friends/family in long term relationships, married, many with kids etc.. and my path is very, very, different. *shrug* Oh well, is what it is - there are things they may envy about my lifestyle, too.. like my sex life w/o relationship difficulties, being able to do whatever I want with my time like go ride motorcycles or drive up to Squamish and go kiteboarding, or head to the beach every day after work etc. The grass is always greener, as they say.. so, I'll do my best to enjoy my own lawn whatever it looks like and not worry too much about anyone else'.

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Apr 2021, 7:06 pm

WantToHaveALife wrote:
I know that people will always say: "What exactly do you gain or accomplish by being angry about what didn't happen in the past?"

While yes, they are absolutely correct, but at the same time, i strongly believe its part of human nature to wish we got to experience certain things or events, milestones in our life, before we actually did.

People that were late bloomers in dating/relationships, does it ever depress you that you didn't date or have relationships earlier in life?

For example, i sometimes feel bitter and have feelings of resentment whenever i see teen couples and early 20's couples, couples in their 20s, etc. I feel it will always hurt that i didn't have a high school romance or girlfriend in my early 20s, etc. It depresses me a lot, like i say to myself, why couldn't i have a normal or typical dating life/sex life growing up like most people do it seems?

Honestly .. Yes .

But it is What it is . The Past is Gone . The Future Can Still Unfold 8)

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 11:45 am

Yes, it definitely bothered me, being single and a virgin throughout my twenties.

My autism has 100% affected my ability to make friends and find a relationship, and a part of that reason is because i'm not a very caring and emotional person in general. It's hard for me to develop an "emotional connection" with someone or actually care about them. I don't really care about people in general; I don't feel other people's hurt or pain nor do I feel sadness when people go through hard times, in fact I don't really feel much emotions in general.

And it's kind of hard to make friends or a relationship when you have a hard time connecting with people.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 12:55 am

WantToHaveALife wrote:
I know that people will always say: "What exactly do you gain or accomplish by being angry about what didn't happen in the past?"

While yes, they are absolutely correct, but at the same time, i strongly believe its part of human nature to wish we got to experience certain things or events, milestones in our life, before we actually did.

People that were late bloomers in dating/relationships, does it ever depress you that you didn't date or have relationships earlier in life?

For example, i sometimes feel bitter and have feelings of resentment whenever i see teen couples and early 20's couples, couples in their 20s, etc. I feel it will always hurt that i didn't have a high school romance or girlfriend in my early 20s, etc. It depresses me a lot, like i say to myself, why couldn't i have a normal or typical dating life/sex life growing up like most people do it seems?

I am sad that i did not have a girlfriend at my high school and did not go to prom and i also wish i would of married when i was in my early 20's instead of being single currently so i understand your feelings,OP.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 Apr 2021, 2:11 am

Muse933277 wrote:
Yes, it definitely bothered me, being single and a virgin throughout my twenties.

My autism has 100% affected my ability to make friends and find a relationship, and a part of that reason is because i'm not a very caring and emotional person in general. It's hard for me to develop an "emotional connection" with someone or actually care about them. I don't really care about people in general; I don't feel other people's hurt or pain nor do I feel sadness when people go through hard times, in fact I don't really feel much emotions in general.

And it's kind of hard to make friends or a relationship when you have a hard time connecting with people.
I was kinda misanthropic when I was single & I think I'm starting to turn that way again. I was fairly emotional when I was single but it was more negative emotions due to my depression & sever loneliness. I care deeply for people I'm close to but it's hard for me to get close to people. I'm very used to being misunderstood & misjudged by others including my own family who I know love me. I feel bad for others when they're dealing with something but I tend to be kinda lost as to what I can do about it. I'm very protective of my romantic partners but that can cause major relationship problems if they are the type to get themselves into trouble or if they are the type to like having a lot of independence & space.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 5:01 pm

i'm bumping this thread, just to let everyone know, i've been dating someone since February this year, i'm still dating her, and these thoughts still go through my mind at times, i get depressed and bitter, resentful, jealous, whenever i see couples out there younger than me.

Especially teenage couples and early 20s couples, high school and college age couples, because its a reminder that i was single during those years, i don't know what its like to be in love when your young, it reminds me of a youth i didn't have.

In other words, i'm sad and depressed that i didn't have a serious girlfriend until my early 30s, she's the first woman i ever introduced to my parents, and sometimes i feel like breaking up with her, because i feel its not worth it to experience these things later in life.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 6:13 pm

WantToHaveALife wrote:
i'm bumping this thread, just to let everyone know, i've been dating someone since February this year, i'm still dating her, and these thoughts still go through my mind at times, i get depressed and bitter, resentful, jealous, whenever i see couples out there younger than me.

Especially teenage couples and early 20s couples, high school and college age couples, because its a reminder that i was single during those years, i don't know what its like to be in love when your young, it reminds me of a youth i didn't have.

In other words, i'm sad and depressed that i didn't have a serious girlfriend until my early 30s, she's the first woman i ever introduced to my parents, and sometimes i feel like breaking up with her, because i feel its not worth it to experience these things later in life.

Well, that seems like a terrible idea.

Unless you are unhappy with the relationship or something, then it certainly is worth it even if you didn't have success earlier.

I guess I can understand still feeling down about missing out on things in teens and 20's, but it's best not to dwell and let it wreck the things you have going for you now.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 6:22 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:

Unless you are unhappy with the relationship or something, then it certainly is worth it even if you didn't have success earlier.

I guess I can understand still feeling down about missing out on things in teens and 20's, but it's best not to dwell and let it wreck the things you have going for you now.

easier said than done, sometimes i feel like life is not worth living if you didn't grow up having a normal youth or just didn't experience certain things in life around the time most people do

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 12:35 am

WantToHaveALife wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:

easier said than done, sometimes i feel like life is not worth living if you didn't grow up having a normal youth or just didn't experience certain things in life around the time most people do

Why should missing out or being a late bloomer on things mean life isn't worth living? You can start making new experiences you do enjoy...to sorta make up for it. At least it's the way I see it.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 9:13 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:

Why should missing out or being a late bloomer on things mean life isn't worth living? You can start making new experiences you do enjoy...to sorta make up for it. At least it's the way I see it.

because it just doesn't feel right or doesn't feel natural, doesn't feel whats supposed or meant to happen

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 9:19 am

No no. I think "late bloomers" just don't tend to talk about it. Someone you really respect and who you look up to could have been a late bloomer.

Your judging yourself too harshly for no real reason.

So you're not basic. Embrace other things. Find YOUR niche.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 11:25 am

Having a relationship as a teenager just simply wasn't possible for me. To do so would've been social suicide and I already wasn't exactly popular. I had a fake relationship. Looking back, it was kind of funny because we'd pretend to be exes who hated each other but then after we were done insulting each other in public, we'd switch to direct messages and just spam each other with memes. :lol: The relationship increased our popularity a bit because people really wanted us to get together (not knowing we were both gay and closeted, we were best friends at the time) so we went along with it. People loved a bit of drama, so throwing in a break up scene every so often kept people invested. It was kind of nice having people come to me for relationship advice and giving me a bit of a break from the bullying.

I came out in my late teens, I suppose I could've had a relationship at this stage, but I don't think I was mentally ready. Personally it took me a while to find my footing and feel comfortable expressing my sense of self. I was quite used to playing a part, so it took a bit of time to figure out who I was outside of that.

So far I've lost my twenties to this pandemic, but I'm still in my early twenties...I'm hoping we'll come out of this thing soon.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 5:36 pm

WantToHaveALife wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:

because it just doesn't feel right or doesn't feel natural, doesn't feel whats supposed or meant to happen

Well, what are you supposed to do just be miserable and bitter for your remaining years? where's the fun in that. I understand it can be hard not to reminisce on what could have been in your youth(I do it to) but not like you can go back and change it so better to remain in the present than get lost in the past.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 7:11 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:

Well, what are you supposed to do just be miserable and bitter for your remaining years? where's the fun in that. I understand it can be hard not to reminisce on what could have been in your youth(I do it to) but not like you can go back and change it so better to remain in the present than get lost in the past.

yes i know thats obvious, that also makes me mad because i like to feel that its only guys, men, that are the only gender that need to take or accept responsibility for their lives in order to get into a relationship or just have results in their dating life, feels like only the male gender is dealt with that card, burden.