Page 7 of 10 [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 11:45 am

Oh ok. I tried showing the person who believes in the moonlanding, how it couldn't have been done, camera effects wise, and his only response was that I am one of 'them', but he went to film school, like me.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 12:16 pm

People lie because they don't want to get into trouble for something that they did wrong.

Or because they don't have anything interesting to talk about to get people's attention.

Or because they don't care that lying hurts people, and that once you find out you've been lied to you may never be able to trust that person ever again and may even hate them for telling such filthy, dirty lies.

Or because they don't want to hurt the other person's feelings, which is supposed to be "okay". Like if they give you a present and it turns out to be something you really hate but you can't just tell them "I really hate your awful present and you clearly have no idea what things I do like because you never listen when I mention them". And then they keep giving you more awful presents since you lied and pretended to like it, and you're afraid to return or give the presents away because they might ask why they never see them, and then eventually you have a house full of stupid worthless junky objects that they gave you because it's their way of expressing "love". :roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 2:20 pm

There's different degrees of lying.

I'm not going to tell someone they gave me an awful present----ever. It's just not proper to do so.

The person could turn around and say you're lucky you even got a present----and that person would be right.

Diplomacy exists for a reason. Originally, it prevented things like having your village set on fire.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 4:44 pm

There could be a lot of different reasons. Correlation versus causation

Everyone has subconscious biases

Not everything is the way it appears

Nobody is perfect

Sometimes someone just wants to fit in to a social group, so they change their opinions to the opinions of the group

Logic fallacies

Semantics and pragmatics

Sometimes it is foggy, the distinction between fact and opinion

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 10:15 am

People seem to like conveinence ….. on the average they like to believe in conveinent things I think .

where ever you go ,there you are

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 3:53 am

"The truth is not a member of anything, and does not claim itself "

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 8:27 am

^^^^ Very Poignant ^^^^

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 11:11 am

Looking at the Delft blue tile I saw myself in the mirror and asked myself what I am actually a member of :?:
I sometimes think that I am fairly autonomous (not a member of anything) but being autonomous is disappointing when I look a little further than my nostrils are short.
I, my consciousness, is first of all an inseparable member of my subconscious, and my subconscious is beyond my control.
It may sound strange, but my consciousness hinders my search for truth. The behavior of a stone, bucket of water, kilo of salt, or a lamppost, behave much more autonomously and objectively towards the truth than those 1.5 kilos of brains do. Like my consciousness, stone, bucket of water, kilo of salt, or lamppost is in a sense a member of the universe, but a stone, bucket of water, kilo of salt, or lamppost will not dare to lie to me, conversely, not kidding is less self-evident.

I am a family member, I am a forum member, some people say i am a member from a nationality. I was once a member of a table tennis club, and a hiking club I was on the membership list. All member entities that cloud my view of truth, conversely I also cloud the truthful view of my relatives, forum members, walking club members, lying is not a one-way street.
Whether this post is therefore true I dare not take poison. 8)

This post contains some dutch sayings, maybe the translation is not 100% the truth.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 11:19 am

^^Interesting bit of writing above, causes a person to stop and think or consider their place in the world .^^^

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 8:29 am

comforting convenient lies > uncomfortable inconvenient truths

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 9:01 am

The other part - lies that help people externalize cost for the things they want or take elsewhere or shift their own failed accountability off on someone whose less able defend themselves (say minority group or just low social status thus less protected).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 11:15 pm

Biscuitman wrote:

https://youtu.be/uCGD9dT12C0

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 8:09 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

They dont want reasons...they want alibies...

https://youtu.be/hQgTjFCTlao

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 7:58 pm

^^^. Lovely recordings ..^^^

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 12:20 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 1:28 am

a lie goes 'round the world in the time it takes the truth to get its boots on. [Samuel Clements]