China breaching every article in genocide convention

Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2021, 2:25 am

Quote:
China breaching every article in genocide convention, says legal report on Uighurs

Thinktank publishes first non-governmental legal examination of China’s actions in Xinjiang

The Chinese government has breached every single article of the UN genocide convention in its treatment of Uighurs in Xinjiang, and bears responsibility for committing genocide, according to a landmark legal report.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... ark-report

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2021, 3:37 am

My industry is boycotting the DJI drones as a result of this. I'm thinking I bought my last ever Chinese phone. Will this take a lot of effort & expenditure going forward? ...Yeah.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2021, 3:47 am

cberg wrote:
My industry is boycotting the DJI drones as a result of this. I'm thinking I bought my last ever Chinese phone. Will this take a lot of effort & expenditure going forward? ...Yeah.

I've repaired a couple of DJI Phantom drones at my last job, they were used for company promotional photography as well as owner's real estate business. I never had a drone before and I was surprised how relatively simple to operate and maintain those things are and the availability of parts is really good. Overall I was pretty pleased with the DJI product, and how accessible it is for beginners. Not pleased with China though...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 12:54 am

I'm not impressed with China in the least bit. That's very 1930s and also sick.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 4:51 am

CockneyRebel wrote:

Why certain groups ignore the atrocities in China is a mystery to me.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 5:46 am

Pepe wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Too many countries have become dependent on China for production of many goods. The rich people and companies also rely on the cheap labor as they want to pay less money. There are also a lot of essential pharmaceutical items that are made in China, or components we rely on China to deliver to make a finished product here which is why some of our otc medications are harder to find. They will be the next superpower as it is now inevitable unless a war happens to stop it.

IMO, Pierre Trudeau and Richard Nixon are to blame for opening the trade with them all the way back in the 1970s.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 7:38 am

aspiemike wrote:
Pepe wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Too many countries have become dependent on China for production of many goods. The rich people and companies also rely on the cheap labor as they want to pay less money. There are also a lot of essential pharmaceutical items that are made in China, or components we rely on China to deliver to make a finished product here which is why some of our otc medications are harder to find. They will be the next superpower as it is now inevitable unless a war happens to stop it.

IMO, Pierre Trudeau and Richard Nixon are to blame for opening the trade with them all the way back in the 1970s.

Hopefully, I will die of old age before they go 'Nazi world domination' on us. 8)

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 7:50 am

I actually agree with you on this one, Pepe
I know, right 8O

It's horrible what they're doing to the Uighurs - it's ethnic cleansing under the guise of "preventing terrorism". It's incarceration in "educational facilities" and "factories" where they spend hours daily watching propaganda films. They can't speak their own language or prepare their ethnic food or dress in their traditional clothes or practice their religion. Some are completely cut off from their families, like the Australian "stolen generation" - but on a scale 100 times greater.

I wish countries around the world would unite to boycott Chinese goods.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 9:02 am

MrsPeel wrote:
I actually agree with you on this one, Pepe
I know, right 8O

It's horrible what they're doing to the Uighurs - it's ethnic cleansing under the guise of "preventing terrorism". It's incarceration in "educational facilities" and "factories" where they spend hours daily watching propaganda films. They can't speak their own language or prepare their ethnic food or dress in their traditional clothes or practice their religion. Some are completely cut off from their families, like the Australian "stolen generation" - but on a scale 100 times greater.

I wish countries around the world would unite to boycott Chinese goods.

I try, but it is very difficult.
Wherever possible, I buy Bangladesh clothing.
It is far better quality, also.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 9:30 am

Pepe wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Even the Muslim countries are ignoring this case btw.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 9:39 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Pepe wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Even the Muslim countries are ignoring this case btw.

Yeah they are all preoccupied with obsessing over Israel.

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 9:41 am

President Biden speaking at a CNN town hall on February defending China against this genocide accusation:

"The central principle of Xi Jinping is that there must be a united, tightly controlled China. And he uses his rationale for the things he does based on that."

"I’m not going to speak out against what he’s doing in Hong Kong, what he’s doing with the Uighurs in Western mountains of China, and Taiwan. Culturally, there are different norms that each country and their leaders are expected to follow.”

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 10:26 am

Daddy63 wrote:
President Biden speaking at a CNN town hall on February defending China against this genocide accusation:

"The central principle of Xi Jinping is that there must be a united, tightly controlled China. And he uses his rationale for the things he does based on that."

"I’m not going to speak out against what he’s doing in Hong Kong, what he’s doing with the Uighurs in Western mountains of China, and Taiwan. Culturally, there are different norms that each country and their leaders are expected to follow.”

Link?

I found this.

https://www.politifact.com/article/2021/mar/04/what-biden-said-during-cnn-town-hall-about-china-u/

The full quote:
Quote:
Biden: "If you know anything about Chinese history, it has always been the time when China has been victimized by the outer world is when they haven't been unified at home ... to vastly overstate it. The central principle of Xi Jinping is that there must be a united, tightly controlled China. And he uses his rationale for the things he does based on that. I point out to him, no American president can be sustained as a president if he doesn't reflect the values of the United States. And so the idea I'm not going to speak out against what he's doing in Hong Kong, what he's doing with the Uyghurs in western mountains of China, and Taiwan, trying to end the One China policy by making it forceful, I said — by the way, he said he gets it. Culturally, there are different norms that each country and their leaders are expected to follow."

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 10:35 am

Feyokien wrote:
Daddy63 wrote:

Link?

This is, at least in part, what he said. But you should do your own research and try to be aware of the bias of the different sites. Biden has a lot of critics but they don't all have the same agenda. Frankly I am glad he's being honest. If he wanted to pander, he could have indulged in the empty anti-China rhetoric of his predecessor. Compared with the aforementioned individual, I think he cares a great deal less what people think of him.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 10:38 am

MaxE wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
Daddy63 wrote:

Link?

This is, at least in part, what he said. But you should do your own research and try to be aware of the bias of the different sites. Biden has a lot of critics but they don't all have the same agenda. Frankly I am glad he's being honest. If he wanted to pander, he could have indulged in the empty anti-China rhetoric of his predecessor. Compared with the aforementioned individual, I think he cares a great deal less what people think of him.

Its a false quote. Biden said the exact opposite, my original post shows what he said.

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 12:14 pm

Feyokien wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
Daddy63 wrote:

Link?

Its a false quote. Biden said the exact opposite, my original post shows what he said.

It's an exact quote. Biden is saying both things over and over. He wants to appease Xi Jinping by saying he respects the one China narrative and the China cultural norms Xi touts. He's not going to speak out more than he absolutely must about the Uighurs, Taiwan and Hong Kong. We are back to our historic swamp diplomacy of appeasing all sides to keeps trade lanes open while allowing authoritarian regimes to go unchecked in their conquests including genocide.

As Lieutenant General McMaster correctly says in the piece below this is "bigotry masquerading as cultural sensitivity."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... s-uighurs/

If you don't have access to the WAPO, here's the same thing from another source:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden- ... aster-says