Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2021, 4:17 pm

I have no idea, but they started drinking pretty early in life and the step to harder stuff wasn't that huge.
We also used to gather at the central drug selling area in Stockholm.
In the crowd, at the time, it was highly accepted to take drugs, sniff glue and so on. I suspect some did it because of mental problems and some gathered mental problems because of the substances.

/Mats

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Mar 2021, 1:42 am

I personally don't like the feeling of being drunk. I have a drink or two and if I go beyond that I usually start feeling pretty bad. I feel like I start withdrawing into myself. Senses get dull, and I start ruminating a good deal. I've definitely encountered some push back when I say I'm done drinking for the night. It's usually a pretty gentle "oh come on, just one more drink" kind of thing. It's a little annoying, especially when they keep going. But I recognize that I'm in the minority because I just don't get the positive effects of alcohol, and so I don't get drunk or see it as desirable. The majority of people see it differently, therefore people seeing my behavior is odd is understandable if not desirable.

But I don't really drink out with people that much. It's usually just a beer or two within my own home. Bars are too noisy and uncomfortable for me.

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 4:00 am

MidnightRose wrote:
I personally don't like the feeling of being drunk. I have a drink or two and if I go beyond that I usually start feeling pretty bad. I feel like I start withdrawing into myself. Senses get dull, and I start ruminating a good deal. I've definitely encountered some push back when I say I'm done drinking for the night. It's usually a pretty gentle "oh come on, just one more drink" kind of thing. It's a little annoying, especially when they keep going. But I recognize that I'm in the minority because I just don't get the positive effects of alcohol, and so I don't get drunk or see it as desirable. The majority of people see it differently, therefore people seeing my behavior is odd is understandable if not desirable.

But I don't really drink out with people that much. It's usually just a beer or two within my own home. Bars are too noisy and uncomfortable for me.

I don't know if your profile pic is your real picture or not, but you want to stay beautiful, drop drinking like a bad biscuit. Drinkers age fast. Every day you drink, you are adding extra days to your biological age, how many depends on how much consumed. Also, make different friends, ones that have interests other than drinking... 8)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 5:49 am

I don't drink a drop of alcohol ever but I do often feel that it contributes to having a limited number of friends. Other Aspies who I know that have the will power to force themselves to go to nightclubs and drink seem to have more (NT) friends and bigger social lives. It's so sad that drinking alcohol is a popular tool for making friends around here.

I felt left out at work before just because I don't drink. If I did drink, I would have been part of a group. I worked with 4 NT people all around my age, and all they did was make plans in front of me, which didn't all involve drinking, but they still left me out because of me not being a drinker. I think that if I was interested in getting drunk at weekends then I would have been included into the group.

I do feel that I missed out because of not drinking. Not so much now, because I'm in a relationship and have my own commitments but back when I was in the 18-25 age bracket I totally missed out on the fun that the majority of people that age have. It seems that almost everyone I know has crawled home from a pub drunk as a lord at some point in their lives. Not me. The only time I have ever almost crawled home was after being on a spinning fairground ride.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 5:54 am

I used to drink all the time when i was young but it done me no good all it did was make dirty guys pass me around until I slept in nearly every adult guy's bed in london

ok slight exaggeration but it was still a lot but i was like an alcoholic but luckily i gave it all up when i got pregnant (unplanned pregnancy

i v never touched a drop of alcohol since

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 7:28 am

I don’t want to have the kind of “fun” people have in nightclubs.

I’m not going to endure the noise, smell, crowdedness of nightclubs just to make a few “friends.”

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 3:07 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I’m not going to endure the noise, smell, crowdedness of nightclubs just to make a few “friends.”

Agreed. My idea of fun with a friend would be a quiet night out, or in. Either way with delicious food and lots to talk about.

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 5:19 pm

Caz72 wrote:
I used to drink all the time when i was young but it done me no good all it did was make dirty guys pass me around until I slept in nearly every adult guy's bed in london

ok slight exaggeration but it was still a lot but i was like an alcoholic but luckily i gave it all up when i got pregnant (unplanned pregnancy

i v never touched a drop of alcohol since

Good for you! Stay strong! :)

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 5:20 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I don't drink a drop of alcohol ever but I do often feel that it contributes to having a limited number of friends. Other Aspies who I know that have the will power to force themselves to go to nightclubs and drink seem to have more (NT) friends and bigger social lives. It's so sad that drinking alcohol is a popular tool for making friends around here.

I felt left out at work before just because I don't drink. If I did drink, I would have been part of a group. I worked with 4 NT people all around my age, and all they did was make plans in front of me, which didn't all involve drinking, but they still left me out because of me not being a drinker. I think that if I was interested in getting drunk at weekends then I would have been included into the group.

I do feel that I missed out because of not drinking. Not so much now, because I'm in a relationship and have my own commitments but back when I was in the 18-25 age bracket I totally missed out on the fun that the majority of people that age have. It seems that almost everyone I know has crawled home from a pub drunk as a lord at some point in their lives. Not me. The only time I have ever almost crawled home was after being on a spinning fairground ride.

Go to church, there you may find people that are interested in something other than intoxication.

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 5:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I have to say, even when I was young and drinking, I hated nightclubs. Everything you mentioned and more.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2021, 7:52 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Steve1963 wrote:
KT67 wrote:
Why do people look down on me when I tell them I'm teetotal?

That has not been my experience at all; I generally hear positive things when I tell people I don't drink.

This varies by local culture. Here in the northeastern U.S.A. at least, I agree that there isn't much if any pressure to drink alcoholic beverages. Apparently things are different in other countries and even some other parts of the U.S.A.

It is different now here then in the past not only with drinking but with diets, at least with guys. I did not stop my casual drinking due to alcoholism, or because I looked down upon those who drank, it was on doctors orders due to colitis.

For young guys drinking until drunk and beyond was considered an essential male bonding ritual. If you did not partake or even drank mildly you were considered a wimp. Drugs the same way in the 70’s. If you did not use drugs like me people assumed you were a narc.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2021, 4:52 am

Gentleman Argentum wrote:

I don't know if your profile pic is your real picture or not, but you want to stay beautiful, drop drinking like a bad biscuit. Drinkers age fast. Every day you drink, you are adding extra days to your biological age, how many depends on how much consumed. Also, make different friends, ones that have interests other than drinking... 8)

My pfp is not me, I'm a dude unfortunately. But thanks for the concern. I don't just drink because people tell me to. I like the taste. I had a Sapporo tonight and I was quite happy with it. I just don't like getting drunk, I can have a beer or two and feel basically fine. My favorite is the Schofferhofer grapefruit hefeweizen, very refreshing.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 3:33 am

OutsideView wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Have either of you tried creating a sober Meetup.com group devoted to whatever topic or activity you would like to be part of a group devoted to?

Or is there some reason why this would not be a viable option for you?

There are few enough people round my way interested in punk without ruling out the drinkers. It'd be a good idea for people living in a city though and one that's never crossed my mind before.

I hope you'll eventually be able to move to a city, or at least closer to a city (unless you really want to stay where you are, for whatever reason). Oddballs of all sorts generally have many more opportunities, of all sorts, in large cities.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 14 Mar 2021, 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 3:41 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
This varies by local culture. Here in the northeastern U.S.A. at least, I agree that there isn't much if any pressure to drink alcoholic beverages. Apparently things are different in other countries and even some other parts of the U.S.A.

It is different now here then in the past not only with drinking but with diets, at least with guys. I did not stop my casual drinking due to alcoholism, or because I looked down upon those who drank, it was on doctors orders due to colitis.

For young guys drinking until drunk and beyond was considered an essential male bonding ritual. If you did not partake or even drank mildly you were considered a wimp. Drugs the same way in the 70’s. If you did not use drugs like me people assumed you were a narc.

Even back in the 1970's, here in the NYC area, this varied by what neighborhood you lived in, what religion you belonged to, etc. When I attended Bronx High School of Science in the mid-1970's, there were cliques of students who were into drinking and/or drugs, but there were other cliques of students who were not.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 6:41 am

In my “progressive” high school, most kids were into drinking, smoking, sniffing, whatever.

I probably had few friends because I refused to drink. I didn’t give a rat’s ass about that.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

14 Mar 2021, 7:41 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
I hope you'll eventually be able to move to a city, or at least closer to a city (unless you really want to stay where you are, for whatever reason). Oddballs of all sorts generally have many more opportunities, of all sorts, in large cities.

Thanks but funnily enough I moved here from a city and I really like it. There's nowhere near as much opportinity to get to gigs but when we do we know a lot of the people so I rarely get any hastle any more.