Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

eyelesbarrow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2009, 9:49 am

I can be quite talkative to people i know, but that is not always all the time. even when w/ my friends, i need some time to 'rest'. what i notice about me is that i can handle conversations w/ total strangers, but the topics can be quite limited, and after we exhaust that, the awkward lull comes.

Vacuusimago
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jun 2009, 4:04 am

I'm not sure if this is odd, but if there is a formal context for my interaction with someone, i find that I've a far easier time talking to them - especially if it's a nonpersonal one. I work a fairly public (but non retail, thank goodness!) position in my company that has me dealing with fairly together people quite often. I'll be.. fine with them. Even rather witty. But when it comes down to, say, talking to my supervisor, a friend or taking out to someone I dont know and may be interested in.. I've the verbal prowess of a head injury patient shortly after the injury. The only reason it doesn't tear me up around my friends is they play it off so well I don't feel like a complete idiot.

I know I'm an introvert. If something unexplained didn't drive me _insane_ for not having more freinds and people that made my life more lively, I'd do without them all the same. As fascinating as people can be, they'll ever present themselves as a sincere and perpetual disappointment to what the imagination demands they should be.

This is just my perspective on the subject. I find it utterly weird each time it happens. The whole point of context, the feeling of no consequence, perhaps the point of me as a corporate entity, rather than me as a person, is dealing with them.

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2009, 11:52 pm

I'm what I like to call a "Flowers For Algernon" Aspie - no, this is not a reference to intelligence, brain surgery, or anything like that, it's the fact that I was kind of an introvert as a kid, yet from 6th grade on up I wanted to be an extrovert, and from 7th grade on up, my dream came true!! And this was basically due to two things - # 1 being the fact I went to a special ed school which (back then) had a great social skills program (though the downfall of this came when they started letting in all these random delinquent kids into my school :x ), and # 2 being the fact that I was finally prescribed the right meds, which made me more composed and more aware (the first two made me OCD to the MAX, I'd rather not describe what this was like for me, lol) So I'm an introverted Aspie turned extroverted Aspie - and fortunately, unlike what happened to Charlie in "Flowers for Algernon", MY treatment (the meds) will NOT wear off as long as I take it! ;)

09 Oct 2009, 1:06 am

I am assuming extroverted means outgoing, chatty. I am that way. I don't mind meeting people from online and doing stuff together. I was just out with one of my WP buddies from here. I do talk a lot when I am not shy.

Thinkagain
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Oct 2009, 10:33 am

skahthic wrote:
My biggest problem is that i can come across as extroverted, but it is usually on my terms. I'll end up hijacking any conversation and talking all about my likes, desires, and needs. Most people then don't like that for very long.
Or, if people are talking about something I have an interest in, I'll seem very talkative. but then the conversation will shift and I have no interest in it now and people then wonder if I'm upset or if something is wrong because I don't want to talk any longer.
Or Or, I'll talk about something and it offends someone ( because i don't supress things for the sake of not offending) and then no one else wants to talk any longer even though i do. I'll only realize this when people start clearing out and I'm alone.
I have a difficult time speaking in front of people formal-style, though--- like, at a podium. gives me diarrhea and makes me feel ill.
I'd rather be in the back near the fire exit.
So even though I can appear "social", it's all wrong and I end up offending people or making an ass of myself. Big news there.
If I want to stay with people and not offend them or make an ass of myself, I have one choice: shut up. then I come across as shy, which I'm not for the most part. But what do people see if you don't talk at all?
So being alone is easier, in the long run. I can be me and not have any worries at all.

wow, that might aswell have been me typing that, because im exactly the same. I can be loud and funny and all that, which makes me appear more like a wierdo when i make a social faux paus.

john93
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Oct 2009, 2:53 pm

In primary school I was the loudest of the class, always got the attention and always knew something to talk about.
Now the last part is a problem, it makes the rest of socializing very hard/

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 6:27 pm

I'm extremely extroverted. Considered loud and annoying by most people. I'll go up to absolutely anyone and tell them whatever is on my mind. While this usually makes me the subject of ridicule I do get respect for "having the courage to speak my mind at all costs."

You know those people who go into long rants at parties about their latest theory on humanity? That's me. I don't stop. Help!

Boomshika
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2009, 7:30 pm

liberty wrote:
Is there such a thing? Is it possible to be so extremely
extrovert as to be able to walk into a room full of strangers and have
them laughing hysterically in 5 minutes, yet spending the majority of
one's time alone because of social discomfort and failures? Does this
sound like an Aspie to you?

yes. that sounds like me. a lot of times i have an easier time talking to strangers than the people close to me, because with strangers i get a "clean slate," in the sense they don't know how quirky i am, and i don't have to worry about being treated differently (which i despise). i've been teaching myself social skills for so long now, i can walk into a room and do a damn good job pretending to be social. i can make friends easily, but then have trouble keeping them, partially because i started to consciously keep new friends at bay, so that they would not get to know "the real me" and thereby reject me/make fun of me. it's a defense mechanism i consciously have because of my middle school/high school experiences of constantly reinventing new ways to try and break into the "cool" crowds, only to say/do one "socially unacceptable" thing one day and f^ck it all up, then consequently being ostracized for the remainder of the school year.

i go to clubs occasionally but only with close friends, and i'll drink a shot or two, so that i can act like my eccentric self, and later say i did or said whatever crazy thing i did or said "because i was drunk/tipsy." i'm more talkative than most of my friends, yet i prefer to be alone ctually.

for a long time, i had misdiagnosed myself as manic depressive, because i didn't believe that extroverted aspies existed. but we do, surprise surprise. :o