Is a fast metabolism commonplace with aspies?

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ghulam Asadiq
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2021, 2:28 pm

When I was at school, I often got called a scrawny little shrimp in the changing rooms because of my very skinny figure. I remember when we had swimming lessons feeling very self conscious of myself in my swimming trunks because my body was so stick like as well as being the only brown skinned boy in the swimming lesson.

Now I'm a full grown adult, I still have a stick like body look and I can go through eating lots of large meals and put on very little weight, if any and feel hungry again within the next two hours.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2021, 2:30 pm

Ghulam Asadiq wrote:
When I was at school, I often got called a scrawny little shrimp in the changing rooms because of my very skinny figure. I remember when we had swimming lessons feeling very self conscious of myself in my swimming trunks because my body was so stick like as well as being the only brown skinned boy in the swimming lesson.

Now I'm a full grown adult, I still have a stick like body look and I can go through eating lots of large meals and put on very little weight, if any and feel hungry again within the next two hours.
You are only 22 ... wait until your late 30s, when the "Middle-Age Spread" kicks in.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2021, 2:44 pm

I average 25,000-30,000 steps a day----and I run sometimes, too.

I gained 5 pounds recently.

Probably due to a slow metabolism.....

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2021, 3:34 pm

I'd say I have a fast metabolism.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2021, 4:44 pm

Enjoy it while you have it.  By the time they are my age, most people cannot seem to control their weight.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2021, 5:00 pm

As life goes on, I would say due to the nature of the complex conditions known as ASD,
we inevitably end up suffering from various mental health problems, but especially anxiety and depression.

Some may suffer from sensory hyper sensitivities, some agoraphobia, some other similar ailments.
The longer you suffer from depression, the more likely you are going to suffer from anxiety.

The longer you have anxiety / depression, the more likely your going to get some form of brain damage
which causes the condition to be more permanent, especially if you continue to get exposed to stressors.

Anxiety / Depression often causes people to drink and eat too much. Some times sleep more than normal.
I would say that sleeping longer than normal can be caused by sensory hypersensitivity.

Some however, are of the opposite dynamic. In that their neuroses manifest themselves as anorexia.
So... some get obsessive about their weight.

I personally was born with allergies, asthma etc. and had parents with a sweet tooth.
So as a kid I was tubby.

The thing is I also have some aspect of hyperfocus in me, which i believe is part of my ASD.
Which helped me to lose loads of weight, when i turned 11, I started karate and became obsessed.
Eventually training 7 days a week and losing all the tubby-ness

By 14 i was super lean and continued for a few years
but later on, got anxiety / depression and coped by drinking and eating

I am now 47 and finally got a handle on my diet
I have been on a diet since jan the 3rd
and by going on a strict calorie restricted diet

i lost over 10 kg in about 6 weeks
I plan to keep on going

another 10 kg and i will be 73 kg
my ideal weight

so perhaps just another 6 weeks
and then i will have to work out a maintenance diet

i think that this is what the western world needs now
to cure obesity

as even kids are super heavy now
let alone the adults

and with it brings all sorts of health problems
such as diabetes and other forms of problems

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2021, 11:17 pm

"Is a fast metabolism commonplace with aspies? "

Not in my kase. 8)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2021, 11:39 pm

If anything, I have a slow metabolism.

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2021, 11:25 am

I have a fast metabolism. Still, I do have to watch not to overeat sometimes, although I have done the opposite for a while.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2021, 3:46 pm

Fnord wrote:
Enjoy it while you have it.  By the time they are my age, most people cannot seem to control their weight.

I'll do my best.

Diamondgirl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Mar 2021, 4:47 pm

Yep, I was you at 22! Except I'm female so I think it wasn't such a bad thing.

From the sounds of it on this forum there doesn't seem like there's much of a connection - might be interesting to do some research on it though.

I'm middle aged now and putting on weight's not a problem anymore!

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 4:55 pm

I'm not obese but I've always been slightly stocky.

I have Type 1 Diabetes and my insulin injections take longer than average to have any effect, suggesting my metabolism is quite slow.

My resting heartbeat is often as low as 45, which is generally seen as a sign of exceptional good health. I've had Doctors ask if I run marathons before, even though I clearly do NOT look like a typical marathon runner.

Stimulants like caffeine and tobacco make me feel really ill, though weirdly Jagerbombs made with sugarfree Red Bull don't seem to have any effect at all.

In summary: sloth-like traits. Unlikely to wear myself out quickly.

Vito
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2021, 3:21 pm

Hard to say. But my brother, who's diagnosed, is burly and at one point weighed like 330 lbs. or so at 6'5". I used to be sticky, but at the age of 26, managed to hit 219 lbs. at 6'2". Neither cases seem to show particularly fast metabolism.

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Apr 2021, 5:31 pm

Genetics i Guess .. Some things You Can't Avoid . Some People are More Suited to Different Dietry Requirements Which in Turn Affects Their BMI .

if You Want More Mass .. Try High Carb Diets & Stodgier Foods .. Pasta , Rice , Bread . Dumplins (lol) .. Carribbean Food Great For More Portly Shape ..

Salads n That if You Want To Shrink Mass . it's Relative to Food Choices + Activity Levels

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 12:00 pm

Fast/slow metabolism is mostly myth. Genetic factors play a role, you might gain more/less weight eating the same food compared to a person with different genetics, but long term big picture outcome depends mostly on your dietary preferences.

Insulin response is one of the most prominent factors. If you like food that by chance is mostly low insulin index on average, you are prone to stay skinny eating as much of this food as you want. If some of your favorite foods are high insulin index, you will inevitably gain fat unless you change your dietary choices.

I used to believe I can eat whatever I want as much as I want and not gain any weight, but when I moved to a different country for three months I gained a lot of weight due to different properties of easily available food.

If you want gain weight, you want gain muscle, not fat. High protein food triggers anabolic response on it's own, so up your protein intake and your lean body mass will slowly grow unless your lifestyle is completely sedentary.

Don't eat high carb, it is never a healthy choice. Some athletes do it for high performance, but effect is arguable and a lot of them end up being "lean diabetics" with high chance of becoming insulin dependent diabetic after retirement.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 10:08 pm

autistics tend to be pickier about food than neurotypicals.

picky eaters are often skinny or fat.