Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2021, 1:32 pm

I am strongly thinking about getting it dyed. I have found way too much white hairs in my hair and then it looks normal in the photos. But close up you can see them while my husband thinks they are blonde highlights. If he can see them while close to me, then that means everyone can too so the whole time I have been walking around with strands of white hairs in my brown hair and no one ever said a thing and neither has a hair stylist other than "you have blonde hair strands." No they are white because I pulled some out and held it up to my mom's white hair and they were the exact same color. It's giving me lot of anxiety and I am not ready to have white hairs or gray hairs at this age, it's too soon and I wouldn't look good with it anyway, not with my look. No use pulling it all out if there are too many of them so I figured FFS just dye it or else those strands will just grow back through my dye and then I will have white strands all over again with my natural hair color again when they grow back and I can't just go and dye it again because I would have to wait at least 4 weeks before I can do it again. It would look sloppy and trashy.

Reason why I want to go in is because I know nothing about hair dye and I don't know what type to use and what number and if I have some white hairs, I read that grey hair is resistance to hair color and I don't know what dye to use then. Apparently white hair is gray hair, ugh.

All these horror stories online about how people have stubborn gray hairs that won't keep their color.

Man how amazing I never noticed this before, that is because I never do my hair and I always wore it back or down and I never looked up close at my hair follicles to notice anything and I never styled it where I wear part of it up and half down to even notice. Plus I would always think that is just the camera shining or the light shining off my hair or just my scalp making it look gray and then it would be gone under other light so I didn't think anything of it. Plus why would I even suspect greying at such a young age if I don't think it will happen till your 40's and it's rare for anyone to gray earlier?

I also think I'm going bald because I hate my hair parting and it's too wide. I think after getting a haircut because I hate having long hair, it just made that spot more obvious because my other hair would cover it if I wore it back but apparently wearing your hair up all the time or always wearing scrunchies can make you have too much hair loss thinning it out showing more of your scalp where the hair parts. So I started to take biotin hoping it will fill that spot and then I find out online about the side affects of skin breakouts so I decided I will drink more water again. At least those white hairs cured me of my energy drink addiction. I read somewhere that too much caffiene can make your hair go gray sooner so I decided to wean myself off them and take Ibuprofen for the withdrawel affects and now I don't have any withdrawel anymore.

And the fact when my husband tells me those so called white strands were there when we met which he calls my blonde highlights, and then saying "I think so" when I ask him if more had come in tells me he had not been paying attention and doesn't know so hair saloon it is. :( I knew this day would come but I was not expecting this until my late 40's or early 50's judging by my own mother when she started to dye her hair and when I started to notice white strands in her hair and it would look trashy and sloppy because they were all over and it didn't go with her hair color so she would always dye it again. I can't talk to her about it for any hair advice because I know she will just get mad at me so I am on my own to figure this all out on my own. I may even have to shave my whole entire head and get a hair topper and use my savings for it if the maintience gets too much and my anxiety to cope with it. Ugh. It's not fair.

Anyone else here get their hair done, how often do you get it dyed and how soon do your roots began to show?

RIP my precious hair. :x My body hates me. It even hated me as a child too because of early puberty causing me to have an eating disorder later on and body image issues and body dysphoria.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2021, 2:05 pm

Now am alittle older now with greys all my own , and have observed and asked people and read multiple cans and packages of hair dye .. was determined if I needed if at first , would try to do my own , was looking to touch up roots, and found later if I got if dyed , I could just got in for root touch ups at the salons . But with my colour hair
Blonde and the grey and alittle dirty blonde blend quite well . And have had many people ask me if if was colored that. Way on purpose. So might keep a mind that some home touch up kits can extend your hair colour out quit a bit .

where ever you go ,there you are

StickBugette
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Mar 2021, 2:34 pm

Hi

My sister started getting gray hairs at age 16. No lie!

So my hair is going gray, and I get it dyed at a salon. Because of covid, I tried to dye my hair at home. Well, there is a little dexterity required to put dye on your own hair but not anywhere else (not on your face, the bathroom walls, the sink, etc.) My mom can do it perfectly but she is not ASD, whereas I am and I don't have the world's best hand-eye coordination. So now I have dye on my bathroom walls.

If the cost of the salon is too much, then my suggestion is to get a friend to help do the hair dye at home with you. But in my experience salon color lasts longer and covers gray better. I can definitely go 4 weeks before you really see any gray again, and then you can go back to the salon at that point. I go every 8 weeks though because I'm ok with a little gray and because it's kinda expensive.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2021, 3:38 pm

I made an appointment for tomorrow at 2, same place my mom goes to to get her hair done. I hate these pesky little white hair strands I keep seeing depending on the light and angle and seeing some of it shine like silver. Now I can't even wear my hair up without them showing now.

Maybe no one ever said anything because they thought I had got it done than it being natural. When I would get comments like "you have some nice blonde hair strands" and I didn't know what they were talking about but it's pretty devastating finding out they might have been seeing those gray hairs and thought it was white blonde or something. Even a hair stylist said it when I got my hair cut. Said I had a bunch of blonde hair strands. Maybe because of my young age, she wouldn't think they were gray hairs.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2021, 7:13 pm

I'm glad you are doing what you need to for self-care. I'm sorry our society is so oppressive that you have to do that. I understand. My struggle is having "excess" hair. I'm a woman, this is the amount of hair I have --- why is it "excess"? Darn those standard deviations in appearance.

In my 20s and 30s I bought numerous dyes but never used them, oh, except a bit of pink - blue - and purple at different times. I have white hairs under my chin. Too many to pluck, but I do cut them back occasionally. I'm at the age (or personality) that I'll mildly conform.

Tangent: I think it's easier for men to go gray; I have male friends who went grey (or bald) in their late 20s, or 30s. Ironically my dad had a reverse problem in that he didn't go gray in his 60s (he didn't look distinguished enough for some employers), but he was not compelled to dye his hair. I have one female friend who was COMPLETELY gray by age 40 when she gave birth to her first child. I'm sure she was subject to a whole bunch of wrong assumptions.

Wishing you peace of mind.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2021, 7:27 pm

I’ve been changing my hair colour (naturally blonde Aussie surfer girl) since the age of 21. I’m blonde now and feel like “me” most as a blonde, but don’t be afraid to dye your hair. My Aspie son owns a Salon in London, but while he cuts and styles my hair, I prefer to dye it myself. I used to pay a small fortune to have it done professionally. When you find a good product and can do it yourself, especially when in lockdown as we’ve been for sooo long here in England, it’s good to be able to do it yourself. It should give you self confidence. I wouldn’t worry about this change in wanting/having to dye your hair ... it should keep you feeling good. It shouldn’t be about “others”, but about how you feel. 85% of the female population dyes their hair. It’s an adjustment, but unless you’re happy to embrace the natural aging process, then it’s a small sacrifice time-wise to do it yourself, or pay a substantial amount more for someone else to do it for you.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Mar 2021, 8:42 pm

I've started noticing some gray hairs at the top of my head, and I'm really the only person who notices them so I'm in no rush to start spending money to cover them just yet. I have had highlights and lowlights done previously, but it's been a few years. Now, during this pandemic, I admit I've had some fun with color depositing conditioner in purple, which is only noticeable in my brown hair when I'm in the sun. It wasn't designed to cover grays, but it was just a way to have a little fun while we're shut down at work.

GameCube
Raven
Raven

29 Mar 2021, 2:34 am

My hair started to go grey when I was 18. I was embarrassed and people would always point it out. I started with temp dye from a box which just lasts a couple of weeks to see what it was like. I started to dye it by going to salon when I felt confident about my color choice and the greys became more noticeable. It was really expensive and my roots will start to show in about a month. But, I would wait around 3 months to dye it again since it's expensive and hard on the hair. Around 22 I caved and started using box dye. There was a shade of red I really liked and the box dye achieved this better than the stuff at the salon.

As time went on I started experimenting with different colors of box dye - light brown, black, metallic blue, deep purple etc...

Overtime my hair got badly damaged. Stylists kept thinking I burned my hair and it was straw like. I used treatments, natural shampoos, and would let it air dry on weekends, but it was just dead looking. It turned orange and would not take to anything. I was told it was because of the dyes, overtime this will happen.

Around age 30 I stopped dying my hair. It got really ugly. It was red and brown and grey and just...yuk. But it started to feel healthier. I let it grow out and tried to tie it back so the greys weren't that noticeable. After about a year my hair healed, I no longer care about the grey hair, I'm just glad I didn't go bald or completely destroy it beyond repair. There are still damaged areas which grow bright orange, but it doesn't look too terrible.

If you plan on dying your hair, it doesn't matter if you chose box or salon. Eventually your hair will likely get damaged. It's less likely if you go to the salon. If you chose the salon except to pay around $120 for each appointment you dye your hair.

I don't want to discourage from doing something that will make you happy and confident. I actually really liked dying my hair and experimenting with the colors. But, I just think it's important to let you know what could happen in a bad scenario.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 2:51 pm

I had heard about dying your hair would damage it from my teens ....and decided to follow the advise .
Now much more grey , but am still after all these years still temped to try colour . My get gets dry nough on its own without me adding extra stress to it . Am doing best to be content with it .

where ever you go ,there you are

Laeril
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2021, 9:43 pm

As a teenager, I dyed my hair a lighter, more golden blonde shade. I stopped when I realized that I would someday need to do the box stuff on my own one day, and with a preference for long hair, I was like "maybe going au natural isn't so bad after all" and stopped. My dark blonde is still a very nice color, no grays yet, and the hair is healthy. Although, it is the weird combo of having fine individual hairs and so many of said hairs I can lose quite a bit and not notice a bald spot of any sort.