Differing results in Aspie quiz over time: Thoughts?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Vito
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Mar 2021, 5:45 pm

I joined WP 10 years ago when I stumbled upon the existence of Asperger's Syndrome and realized that it neatly explains basically all my social problems I've experienced up to that point as well as some of my personal idiosyncrasies (namely sensitivity to touch or tendency to freak out when plans or routines were suddenly changed).

Even though that this thought was not supported by a professional opinion (I never really sought a diagnosis), it fit my circumstances much better than my personal theory of social retardation that I used from approx. the age of 17 to explain why I tend to get marginalized basically in any group that I got involved in, even though I always proactively tried to get myself included.

As a part of 'getting to know myself a bit better' procedure, I have taken the Aspie quiz (among other things) at that time, in an attempt to either verify or refute this. My result in 2011 was as follows:

Your Aspie score: 139 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 67 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Since that time, equipped with a systematized knowledge of my strengths and weaknesses, I took it upon myself to consciously work on my social skills in an effort to be more 'socially appealing'.

I have recently decided to revisit this site, primarily due to a bit of nostalgia and decided to retake the test. I took it today and the results are as follows:

Your broader autism cluster (Aspie) score: 106 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 121 of 200
You have both broader autism cluster and neurotypical traits

I greatly regret not having access to the detailed results from 10 years ago as I probably didn't transfer them from the laptop I had back then (I will search for them though). I think it would be interesting to compare the detailed results and even the answers to the individual questions.

Even without the past results, I am certain the greatest difference is in the Communication, Social and, especially, Relationship groups, where my NT traits seem currently more dominant than the Aspie ones.

The results sort of mirror the change I have experienced in my life situation since then. In my last job, for probably the first time in my life, I got fully accepted into a group of individuals that were connected by a circumstance rather than by a common interest. Also, I managed to get myself into a romantic relationship and (with great help from my significant other) to turn it from tedious and unstable to comfortable and boring one. I am also a lot more comfortable in situations featuring complete strangers and my only issues now seem to be that I tend to be slow and reserved and show less initiative in such situations than I'd deem optimal.

I wonder what the results in another 10 years be like. I must set a reminder for 2031. :lol:

I also wonder, whether there is someone who has similar (or contradictory :!: ) experience.

I will greatly appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

mohsart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Mar 2021, 12:07 pm

Three options comes to mind.
1. You've learned the "correct" answers. This has happened for me with IQ tests, I'm not smarter, but I'm better at taking IQ tests.
2. You've become better at masking. Eg, pretending to enjoy autism unfriendly environment for so long that you think you actually do like them.
3. Day to day changes. At least for me, my traits go up and down all the time.

Just my 2c...

/Mats

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2021, 4:57 am

Vito wrote:
I joined WP 10 years ago when I stumbled upon the existence of Asperger's Syndrome and realized that it neatly explains basically all my social problems I've experienced up to that point as well as some of my personal idiosyncrasies (namely sensitivity to touch or tendency to freak out when plans or routines were suddenly changed).

Even though that this thought was not supported by a professional opinion (I never really sought a diagnosis), it fit my circumstances much better than my personal theory of social retardation that I used from approx. the age of 17 to explain why I tend to get marginalized basically in any group that I got involved in, even though I always proactively tried to get myself included.

As a part of 'getting to know myself a bit better' procedure, I have taken the Aspie quiz (among other things) at that time, in an attempt to either verify or refute this. My result in 2011 was as follows:

Your Aspie score: 139 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 67 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Since that time, equipped with a systematized knowledge of my strengths and weaknesses, I took it upon myself to consciously work on my social skills in an effort to be more 'socially appealing'.

I have recently decided to revisit this site, primarily due to a bit of nostalgia and decided to retake the test. I took it today and the results are as follows:

Your broader autism cluster (Aspie) score: 106 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 121 of 200
You have both broader autism cluster and neurotypical traits

I greatly regret not having access to the detailed results from 10 years ago as I probably didn't transfer them from the laptop I had back then (I will search for them though). I think it would be interesting to compare the detailed results and even the answers to the individual questions.

Even without the past results, I am certain the greatest difference is in the Communication, Social and, especially, Relationship groups, where my NT traits seem currently more dominant than the Aspie ones.

The results sort of mirror the change I have experienced in my life situation since then. In my last job, for probably the first time in my life, I got fully accepted into a group of individuals that were connected by a circumstance rather than by a common interest. Also, I managed to get myself into a romantic relationship and (with great help from my significant other) to turn it from tedious and unstable to comfortable and boring one. I am also a lot more comfortable in situations featuring complete strangers and my only issues now seem to be that I tend to be slow and reserved and show less initiative in such situations than I'd deem optimal.

I wonder what the results in another 10 years be like. I must set a reminder for 2031. :lol:

I also wonder, whether there is someone who has similar (or contradictory :!: ) experience.

I will greatly appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

This Likely happens for one or more of three reasons.
1. Autistic traits change over time
2. You know how to manipulate the test whether consciously or subconsciouly to get the answers youd rather have
3. Even on the same day you can get different tests results on quizes like that in general.
The first one is the most likely.

Ψ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ψ