Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 3:22 pm

I thought it would be nice to share character ideas! I'd love to see what others think of.
My idea: sentient plushy/stuffed animal but it's not evil or anything, it's genuinely friendly. We need more wholesome sentient plushy characters!

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 3:58 pm

This thread makes me miss my art folder... I left it behind at my student housing when I moved back home. It contained scrapped artwork and concepts that I have previously played around with. Do I have character ideas? Yes. Do I like any of them? No. :lol:

I think the last one I had was a reluctant nihilistic vampire working as a high school receptionist. However, the story wasn't really going anywhere so I scrapped it. I start concepts and abandon them more than I care to admit. There was also a skateboarding cartoon girl, but I disliked her designs. I was mainly just experimenting with shapes and seeing what works and what doesn't design wise.

Frankly it's been a while since I've attempted to design a character. I think a shapeshifter would be fun to create. Sometimes I draw random animals in clothing, such as a crow in a punk-rock worn out jacket. I have no narrative reason for doing so, I just find it fun. University has been busy lately, so I've mainly been focusing my creative efforts into my work. I'll be glad when lockdown lifts, I need some new life experiences...this current stagnation is horrible.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 4:09 pm

Just for fun, I googled "NPC Generator", and the first link that popped up was This One.

Here is the first character it generated:

Quote:
Description
• Edmund Bladewalker is a 26 year old male human jailer.
• He has a bald head and green eyes.
• He has soft white skin.
• He stands 157cm (5'1") tall and has a muscular build.
• He has an oval, bland face with a very short beard.
• He is branded as a prisoner on his left hand.

Personality Traits
• He discretely worships Grumbar, God of earth, solidity, changelessness, oaths. (True Neutral)
• He gets bored easily.
• He has no self-confidence.
• He gets very mad at any semblance of an insult.

Ability Scores
• Strength: 16 [+3]
• Dexterity: 11 [0]
• Constitution: 15 [+2]
• Intellect: 9 [-1]
• Wisdom: 10 [0]
• Charisma: 10 [0]

Relationships
• Sexual Orientation: Straight
• Relationship Status: Single

Alignment Tendencies

• Good: 1
• Neutral: 3
• Evil: 3

• Lawful: 6
• Neutral: 6
• Chaotic: 6

Plot Hook
• He needs help stealing a magical coin from a nearby house.
There are other character generators out there on the Internet.  Some go into great detail, while others generate less.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 5:34 pm

NaturalEntity wrote:
I thought it would be nice to share character ideas! I'd love to see what others think of.
My idea: sentient plushy/stuffed animal but it's not evil or anything, it's genuinely friendly. We need more wholesome sentient plushy characters!

Didnt they have a comedy movie about a non evil, but wisecracking, teddy bear a few years ago?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 6:34 pm

I have made up a character that I'm still not sure which story to put her in. She's only 3 years old but is tall for her age and is highly intelligent for her age too. She has long, brown hair and brown eyes. I called her Mossie.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 6:40 pm

Quote:
Description
Iathor is a 104 year old male tiefling procurer.
He has short, straight, dyed red hair and golden eyes.
He has silky red skin.
He stands 185cm (6'0") tall and has a lean build.
He has an oblong, very mediocre face with a short beard.

He can't feel pain.

Personality Traits
He openly claims to worship the demon prince Eltab, but secretly worships the demon prince Eltab, Demon lord of hatred, retribution. (Chaotic Evil)
He is a pacifist.
He is very obstinate. He has a pet cat companion named Bubbles. He has a constant wanderlust and is unable to live at the same place for more than a few months.

Ability Scores
Strength - 14 [+2]
Dexterity - 10 [0]
Constitution - 15 [+2]
Intellect - 13 [+1]
Wisdom - 9 [-1]
Charisma - 12 [+1]

Relationships
Sexual Orientation - Straight
Relationship Status - Divorced

Alignment Tendencies
Good: 0 Lawful: 0
Neutral: 0 Neutral: 1
Evil: 10 Chaotic: 17

Plot Hook
He is being constantly psychologically tortured by a crazed leprechaun.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 6:41 pm

Make her the leader of her nursery school class.

And make her go on auditions to become a child actress.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 3:24 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
NaturalEntity wrote:

Didnt they have a comedy movie about a non evil, but wisecracking, teddy bear a few years ago?

Neat!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 6:31 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Make her the leader of her nursery school class.

And make her go on auditions to become a child actress.

Nah, she's always going to be 3.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 7:50 pm

I came up with some interesting vampire characters during a failed attempt at co-writing an urban fantasy novel with a friend. They included an Ukrainian aristocrat with a penchant for unethical experiments on other vampires, a mild-mannered accountant who thought being undead would be a good career move, a very posh piano teacher who tries to excuse her ignorance of modern Britain with a dodgy French accent, and a bluff old chap who has been posing as a retired Brigadier since Elizabeth I's day. I wish I'd got more use out of them.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2021, 9:24 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
I came up with some interesting vampire characters during a failed attempt at co-writing an urban fantasy novel with a friend. They included an Ukrainian aristocrat with a penchant for unethical experiments on other vampires, a mild-mannered accountant who thought being undead would be a good career move, a very posh piano teacher who tries to excuse her ignorance of modern Britain with a dodgy French accent, and a bluff old chap who has been posing as a retired Brigadier since Elizabeth I's day. I wish I'd got more use out of them.

I would read that novel! We need more oppurtunistic/pragmatist vampires in fiction not just dramatic guilt-ridden ones! (looking at Anne Rice characters)

I have a very sheltered priestess type of character i like to imagine sometimes. She's the reincarnation of an evil sorcerers so she's both feared and hated. She later falls in love with a knight that is her designated fiancee.
He later dies which makes her go insane and leave the place where she has been prisoned to bring him back with her powers which she cannot control well.

I love cliches and drama and i am not very imaginative.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2021, 6:03 pm

AprilR wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:

I would read that novel! We need more oppurtunistic/pragmatist vampires in fiction not just dramatic guilt-ridden ones! (looking at Anne Rice characters)

I have a very sheltered priestess type of character i like to imagine sometimes. She's the reincarnation of an evil sorcerers so she's both feared and hated. She later falls in love with a knight that is her designated fiancee.
He later dies which makes her go insane and leave the place where she has been prisoned to bring him back with her powers which she cannot control well.

I like the idea of the humble, innocent priestess sitting in her cell going "Don't go mad and lay waste to the whole world. Don't go mad and - oh, dammit!"

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2021, 8:09 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
AprilR wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:

I like the idea of the humble, innocent priestess sitting in her cell going "Don't go mad and lay waste to the whole world. Don't go mad and - oh, dammit!"

Thanks! Now, if only i had ideas about other characters/ the story..

Yakuzamonroe
Toucan
Toucan

02 Apr 2021, 1:18 pm

I've been thinking of a modern-day character who is part of a race of dragons who can take human form living in an urban fantasy setting with an underlying "hidden world"(like WOD except not nearly as dark or political). He's descended from a long line of Asian-related(serpentine-like) dragons and is relatively young (about 100 years old or something which is like, barely teenage for his species) living in the U.S. His people have just ended a war between westernesque dragons(think red dragons from DnD) which are now in a state of uneasy peace with the race of the main character. His species, of course, are very powerful having great magic, perfect flight, breathing powers and whatnot, the failing of his particular race is they can't kill(but can fight, maim, debilitate etc.) due to a curse-like oath the progenitor of their particular dragon race had taken for ... well ... more power and some control over reality. His best friend is a vampire whom is his roommate.

I think I may have been reading way too much from the VtM wiki. It's giving me too many ideas.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2021, 10:41 am

For some reason, when I have a good story idea I can't come up with good characters to go with it. And when I come up with good characters, I can't come up with a good story they'd work in.

About 15 years ago I got into reading comics for the first time. I soon had a bunch of characters buzzing around my head that I wanted to do a comic about.... but it quickly became obvious that I'm no good at drawing. These charcters all seemed a bit too wacky and two-dimensional for prose fiction, but they had a certain spark to them that's lacking from my more recent efforts. They were an odd assortment, including a homeless former sniper, a crime-fighting clockmaker, an ex-mercenary who runs a boarding house, a cyborg armadillo, an elderly French assasin and a blues-singing robot. Not the easiest to slot into a new story.