Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

sitko
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Mar 2021, 5:24 pm

Hi,

I tried to post this a week ago, and I just had a better idea how to do this. I'm designing a new social networking system. I've not coded anything yet, I'm still polishing up the design. I'm trying to identify all problems with Social Networking.

I'll list the descriptions about my design that fixes current social networking problems. List this like this: [Problem]: [Solution], don't worry with the "How to fix it."

Improvements:

I hate looking at ads:
No Ads

I hate fake people:
No fake accounts, each user gets one account and one only.
You can only be invited into this app.

I hate companies pretending to be people:
No companies can have accounts.

I don't like how the companies use OUR data:
The User decides about the visibility of their data.

I don't like how some people spread propaganda:
The app will have strict behavior rules.

I don't like how groups use social networking to attack others:
We'd try and keep the people who generally don't agree with each other, apart.

I don't like Terms and Conditions that are long and confusing:
We will have simple T&C.

I don't like when a company changes their product in ways that I don't like:
Any changes to our T&C will be announced to the audience and voted on.
Any changes to our app will be announced ahead of time, if they will affect users in major ways.

I don't like how the social networking uses our data for things we have no idea about:
User must OPT in on types of use. If they do agree to let client use their data, we'd give them a cut of the profit.
When a client wants Users data for a task, they will ASK the user in a special group, If users OPT IN on the task, they'd get a cut of the profit.

I don't like how Social Networking apps will change their look and feel from how I liked it to something else:
Allow the user to create their OWN Graphic User Interface, which they could earn Points with.
Allow the user to create games/applications that will interact with the Social Network, if it has value they'd get a bigger cut of the profits.
Promote Customization of look and feel.
Allow Modders.

Reddit Specific Changes:
The Feed is addictive:
Get rid of the feed.
Create a news feed that will ONLY show articles from approved groups.
Use psychologists to make the app LESS addictive.

There are MANY varieties of Posting rules:
Make basic app-wide guidelines to how to post, Groups can add common abbreviations, and other aspects, but CAN'T deny a posting based on arbitrary rules.

I hate it when people make jokes if I'm asking a serious question:
Allow replies to be color coded, by what type of reply it is.
Then user can show/hide the various types of responses.

I hate getting banned from a group, for a stupid reason:
All group bans will be on the app level, not the group level.

I hate how hard it is to learn stuff on Reddit:
Have users who spend time making new people welcome.

(assuming we can, I'll add more to this later.)

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 6:50 am

sitko wrote:
Improvements:

I hate looking at ads:
No Ads

What's your business model, then? How will your platform get paid for? Will it have some other source of revenue?

sitko wrote:
I hate fake people:

What precisely do you mean by a "fake account"? Are you going to prohibit pseudonyms like Facebook does, or do you just mean not allowing duplicate accounts and not allowing impersonation?

sitko wrote:

Hmm....

What do you hope to accomplish by making it invite-only?

sitko wrote:

Enforced how, and by whom (or what)?

sitko wrote:
I don't like Terms and Conditions that are long and confusing:
We will have simple T&C.

Good luck with that. T&C and rules and guidelines pages tend to get longer over time, as users find more ways to make trouble.

sitko wrote:
Any changes to our app will be announced ahead of time, if they will affect users in major ways.

Sounds good.

I too really dislike it when useful features are removed or modified to make them less useful.

sitko wrote:
I don't like how the social networking uses our data for things we have no idea about:
User must OPT in on types of use.

Sounds good.

sitko wrote:
If they do agree to let client use their data, we'd give them a cut of the profit.
When a client wants Users data for a task, they will ASK the user in a special group, If users OPT IN on the task, they'd get a cut of the profit.

Interesting idea, but you probably wouldn't be able to afford to give more than a very small cut, I would imagine. It also means that every user would have to have some sort of account that money gets deposited into, and there is overhead associated with that.

sitko wrote:
I don't like how Social Networking apps will change their look and feel from how I liked it to something else:
Allow the user to create their OWN Graphic User Interface, which they could earn Points with.
Allow the user to create games/applications that will interact with the Social Network, if it has value they'd get a bigger cut of the profits.

Sounds good.

sitko wrote:
Reddit Specific Changes:
The Feed is addictive:
Get rid of the feed.
Create a news feed that will ONLY show articles from approved groups.

Approved by whom? The user, or someone else?

sitko wrote:
There are MANY varieties of Posting rules:
Make basic app-wide guidelines to how to post, Groups can add common abbreviations, and other aspects, but CAN'T deny a posting based on arbitrary rules.

This isn't going to go over well with potential group leaders. Groups need to be able to make their own rules.

But there may be other things you can do to discourage sudden arbitrary bans.

One possibility: For each group, there could be an associated private "troll jail" (or something similar) group, where users suspended from the main group could negotiate with the moderators and then be re-admitted to the main group once they seem to understand the rules.

Also, group moderators could be strongly encouraged to participate in a conflict-resolution training group.

sitko wrote:
I hate it when people make jokes if I'm asking a serious question:
Allow replies to be color coded, by what type of reply it is.
Then user can show/hide the various types of responses.

This is an excellent idea.

sitko wrote:
I hate getting banned from a group, for a stupid reason:
All group bans will be on the app level, not the group level.

Again I don't agree with the idea of not allowing individual group moderators to enforce their own rules, but I think there may be other ways to structure things to make this less onerous for individual users. See my suggestions above.

sitko wrote:
I hate how hard it is to learn stuff on Reddit:
Have users who spend time making new people welcome.

This is an excellent idea if you can find an effective way to encourage users to do this.

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Mar 2021, 1:53 pm

sitko wrote:
Use psychologists to make the app LESS addictive.

Unfortunately, since our system demands that companies desire profits over all else, computer/internet addiction is actually a feature not a bug. Just like slot machines are designed to make you spin again. You can't fix a lot of problems with the internet without addressing the profit motive.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2021, 7:14 am

sitko wrote:
I hate fake people:

I don't like how the companies use OUR data:
The User decides about the visibility of their data.

User must OPT in on types of use. If they do agree to let client use their data, we'd give them a cut of the profit.

Allow Modders.

I don't really know Reddit, but I share your frustration with social media which seemed in its early days to have promise as a force for good in this world.

It seems to me that many of the problems you have with social media could be addressed with a decentralised system of profiles and client interfaces.

People are working on this sort of stuff already, it isn't my idea. But it might be something you could get involved with.

For the uninitiated, in a decentralised social network each user has a data file which contains all their personal information and stuff they want to share. They own it and it resides not on some company's server but on their own server (or cloud service).

The data format would be standardised and open so that anyone can then design and build a web app that can access these profiles. So there could be an easy (boring!) interface like Facebook's for those who aren't so techy, and moddable ones (like old school myspace) for those who can code a bit and want to personalise. Don't like what one provider is doing with their interface? Move to a different one. They're working off the same data so all your friends and links and stuff would be the same, just a different wrapper.

It'd be harder to hack massive amounts of user data because its not all in one place, and the user owns their data so they get to say what it gets used for.

As for people's behaviour online - that's going to be less easy to control.

sitko
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Mar 2021, 5:57 pm

Ok,
I'll try to respond to each question:
Business Model: Still working on this some, but part of it is companies using the User's provided data for research, we make this as a replacement for the poor social networks, so it would be similar in the good ways, but not in the bad ways. I originally was going to make this as an Autistic ONLY app, as I know a lot of Autistics believe in trying to improve the planet, or society, even though we have so much trouble fitting into it. Thinking about this some more, I think we might have "optional ads"...

Fake Account: The key to my app is that each person will be assigned an account that is linked to them personally. Fake accounts are accounts that people create to attempt to scam other people, or just do 'evil' things with. If each user was tied to their account, then I believe less people COULD scam as any sins would be tied to the user.

Invite Only: This accomplishes the tying of the account to the actual person. When people are invited, they provide Key data that every user will provide, to identify them as an unique person. This is also tied into the marketing of the app, using Gamification and FOMO.(Fear of Missing Out). Invite only is another way to keep the bad players out, since if you invite a person into the app, and that person misbehaves, then not only the invitee, but the inviter gets punished as well.

Enforced Rules: First off, our Terms will be very simple, and straightforward. The idea of this app is to make a place where people can collaborate to make the world a better place. So, users going into the app will understand this. But, in addition to the terms, I also plan on creating AIs that roam the site looking for misbehavior. Also, users could earn 'points' reporting bad behavior(snitching).

Short T&C: This is a goal. I want the T&Cs to be pretty short, and something more visible than a standard T&C...my Mom is a lawyer, so I'm hoping I can get help from her there.

As far as profit sharing goes, the way I see it, our point systems will give out points for many different activities: Creating Content, snitching on sinners, creating good posts and replies, and investing in other ways (time, money, effort). Then everyone who volunteered for a survey or to let a Client use their data, would get a cut straight from the client, as well as earning points, for the yearly payout from the app.

The User would select Groups (topics) that they wished to see posts from. Instead of a randomized feed, it would be a optionally and perhaps sorted feed, so you could review all the X type of stories, or Y types of articles.

conflict resolution training group: Great idea! I had an idea instead of bans, just muzzles or temporary suspensions.

Ways to encourage helpful attitudes: Points, and reputation, As you earn points in a group, you get more privileges and abilities.

Midnight Rose: This will be a issue, but I think I have several ideas and maybe it's just who we get to invest. I'm hoping people like the idea of having a less toxic social networks, and with all the problems coming from the current social networks; that people will be eager to switch to this app.

DuckHairBack: I am not worried about the implementation of the GUIs, this will be up to the content creators. Of course we'll create content too. Each user can choose their client interface based on likes and wishes. You have my idea exactly as far as the "different wrapper" concept. I had an idea of a "dating" UI, that would create a googleEarth kinda look and feel, and users could choose how "visible" they are to potential suitors, set to the town, or state or whatever level they are comfortable with. I suppose, they could set it down to a small size like neighborhood or even street.

Thanks for all your input.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2021, 12:23 pm

sitko wrote:
Business Model: Still working on this some, but part of it is companies using the User's provided data for research, we make this as a replacement for the poor social networks, so it would be similar in the good ways, but not in the bad ways. I originally was going to make this as an Autistic ONLY app, as I know a lot of Autistics believe in trying to improve the planet, or society, even though we have so much trouble fitting into it.

Maybe that should be "because we have so much trouble fitting into it" rather than "even though ..."?

sitko wrote:
Thinking about this some more, I think we might have "optional ads"...

Fake Account: The key to my app is that each person will be assigned an account that is linked to them personally. Fake accounts are accounts that people create to attempt to scam other people, or just do 'evil' things with. If each user was tied to their account, then I believe less people COULD scam as any sins would be tied to the user.

I see no problem here as long as users get to choose what name they use and there is a rule against doxxing people.

sitko wrote:
Invite Only: This accomplishes the tying of the account to the actual person. When people are invited, they provide Key data that every user will provide, to identify them as an unique person. This is also tied into the marketing of the app, using Gamification and FOMO.(Fear of Missing Out). Invite only is another way to keep the bad players out, since if you invite a person into the app, and that person misbehaves, then not only the invitee, but the inviter gets punished as well.

Hopefully the inviter won't get punished too severely, lest people be afraid to invite anyone. We can't control other people's behavior, including and especially the behavior of any autistic friends we might choose to invite, so, any time we invite anyone to a site, there's always the risk that things may turn out badly.

Will the inviter also get rewarded for good behavior by the invitee? If so, that might help to balance out the risk, from the inviter's point of view.

A bigger problem, though, is that many autistic people just don't have any friends. Hence many people who might be perfectly fine users would never have an opportunity to join your proposed network.

sitko wrote:
Enforced Rules: First off, our Terms will be very simple, and straightforward. The idea of this app is to make a place where people can collaborate to make the world a better place.

If this includes making the world a better place for autistic people, I would be interested to hear what you think of my Longterm visions for the autistic community. I'd love it if you could make a site that makes this vision easier for autistic people to implement.

Also, I would suggest designing the site to make it easy for people to organize groups by both topic and locale, similar to Meetup.com except that the groups would not be required to meet in person.

sitko wrote:
So, users going into the app will understand this. But, in addition to the terms, I also plan on creating AIs that roam the site looking for misbehavior.

Hopefully these AIs won't make any actual moderation decisions but will just report stuff to a team of human moderators? My boyfriend has been a user on some sites that were moderated, at least in part, by AIs -- and they were much, much worse than even the most biased and immature human moderators that he has ever run into.

sitko wrote:
Also, users could earn 'points' reporting bad behavior(snitching).

Short T&C: This is a goal. I want the T&Cs to be pretty short, and something more visible than a standard T&C...my Mom is a lawyer, so I'm hoping I can get help from her there.

As far as profit sharing goes, the way I see it, our point systems will give out points for many different activities: Creating Content, snitching on sinners, creating good posts and replies, and investing in other ways (time, money, effort). Then everyone who volunteered for a survey or to let a Client use their data, would get a cut straight from the client, as well as earning points, for the yearly payout from the app.

This sounds very good.

sitko wrote:
The User would select Groups (topics) that they wished to see posts from. Instead of a randomized feed, it would be a optionally and perhaps sorted feed, so you could review all the X type of stories, or Y types of articles.

Indeed I favor giving the user as much control as possible over what categories appear in their feed.

sitko wrote:
conflict resolution training group: Great idea! I had an idea instead of bans, just muzzles or temporary suspensions.

Bans are appropriate for very serious offenses and for multiple repeat offenses. But, in my opinion, even banned users should still be allowed some means of contacting the moderators, instead of having their accounts revoked completely.

sitko wrote:
Ways to encourage helpful attitudes: Points, and reputation, As you earn points in a group, you get more privileges and abilities.

Midnight Rose: This will be a issue, but I think I have several ideas and maybe it's just who we get to invest. I'm hoping people like the idea of having a less toxic social networks, and with all the problems coming from the current social networks; that people will be eager to switch to this app.

I certainly like the idea of a less toxic social network, but the problem is how to create one. This will require a lot of thought and planning -- and an ability and willingness to learn from mistakes.

sitko wrote:
DuckHairBack: I am not worried about the implementation of the GUIs, this will be up to the content creators. Of course we'll create content too. Each user can choose their client interface based on likes and wishes. You have my idea exactly as far as the "different wrapper" concept. I had an idea of a "dating" UI, that would create a googleEarth kinda look and feel, and users could choose how "visible" they are to potential suitors, set to the town, or state or whatever level they are comfortable with. I suppose, they could set it down to a small size like neighborhood or even street.

I like the idea of a "dating" UI that is an opt-in feature of a larger non-"dating" social network. That way, people could get to know potential "dates" in non-dating contexts, which is a more natural way to get to know people.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 6:58 am

Some important points are modifying existing content, copyrights and patents, how free people are within their communication, grouping people, finding and joining groups, privacy and decentralized handling of communication and memberships for not getting sued to allow hidden access to communication to governments and police and last but not least your own goals with that ... :wink:
I guess you don't want to administrate it regarding the wishes of others and there will be a plenty of people who'll show up with lots of demands towards you as soon as there are more than only just a handful of members.

The biggest question in case of 'making the world a better place' is for which people you want improvements and who are your enemies if starting with that. In many cases you'll only make the lawyers happy that will sue you for what you have ever done. In doubts you should start to look for a nice place to stay afterwards just like Edward Snowden or Julian Assange (who failed at that).

sitko
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Mar 2021, 10:01 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
sitko wrote:
Business Model: Still working on this some, but part of it is companies using the User's provided data for research, we make this as a replacement for the poor social networks, so it would be similar in the good ways, but not in the bad ways. I originally was going to make this as an Autistic ONLY app, as I know a lot of Autistics believe in trying to improve the planet, or society, even though we have so much trouble fitting into it.

Maybe that should be "because we have so much trouble fitting into it" rather than "even though ..."?

Well, this isn't offical copy, just my musings in here...

sitko wrote:
Thinking about this some more, I think we might have "optional ads"...

I see no problem here as long as users get to choose what name they use and there is a rule against doxxing people.

sitko wrote:

Hopefully the inviter won't get punished too severely, lest people be afraid to invite anyone. We can't control other people's behavior, including and especially the behavior of any autistic friends we might choose to invite, so, any time we invite anyone to a site, there's always the risk that things may turn out badly.

Will the inviter also get rewarded for good behavior by the invitee? If so, that might help to balance out the risk, from the inviter's point of view.

A bigger problem, though, is that many autistic people just don't have any friends. Hence many people who might be perfectly fine users would never have an opportunity to join your proposed network.

I think the inviter would be awarded if the invitee when on to make significant contributions to the app/group. Originally, I thought of this as a purely autistic app, but after thinking about it more, I decided to open it up to all "good" people. I know this is subjective, but my idea was to invite investors from (initially at least) from humanitarians, and people trying to make the world a better place. I'm a bit of a lefty, and one of my original ideas was to exclude conservatives, or Trump Supporters, etc. But, then I decided, we could have anyone in the site, and each type of person's groups would reflect their personality. So, people like Trump Supporters, could join it, but they'd be limited to only groups they could be "positive" in. If that makes sense. And we'd keep all the people who hate each other invisible to the people that hate them.

sitko wrote:
Enforced Rules: First off, our Terms will be very simple, and straightforward. The idea of this app is to make a place where people can collaborate to make the world a better place.

If this includes making the world a better place for autistic people, I would be interested to hear what you think of my Longterm visions for the autistic community. I'd love it if you could make a site that makes this vision easier for autistic people to implement.

Also, I would suggest designing the site to make it easy for people to organize groups by both topic and locale, similar to Meetup.com except that the groups would not be required to meet in person.

Yes. Of course.

sitko wrote:
So, users going into the app will understand this. But, in addition to the terms, I also plan on creating AIs that roam the site looking for misbehavior.

Hopefully these AIs won't make any actual moderation decisions but will just report stuff to a team of human moderators? My boyfriend has been a user on some sites that were moderated, at least in part, by AIs -- and they were much, much worse than even the most biased and immature human moderators that he has ever run into.

My thought exactly. Create a report that mods could access, and follow up on the AIs findings, give it a look see to see if it was a crime, or if moderation is warranted.

sitko wrote:
Also, users could earn 'points' reporting bad behavior(snitching).

This sounds very good.

sitko wrote:

Indeed I favor giving the user as much control as possible over what categories appear in their feed.

Initally, I wasn't even going to have a 'feed' and I don't think it would be a major aspect of the app, just an optional GUI, that users who are coming from Reddit, might like to satisfy their addiction to the feed, but our feed wouldn't be endless, like the rest of the feeds. And eventually, I'd hire psychologists to make sure it's not addictive, we don't want everyone in the world using our app, and not living a good life.

I think Users would subscribe to groups feeds that interest them. If a user wanted to join a group, that they weren't invited to, they would have to start subscribing to that groups "posts" and either give them good feedback or offer to help that group out.

sitko wrote:

Bans are appropriate for very serious offenses and for multiple repeat offenses. But, in my opinion, even banned users should still be allowed some means of contacting the moderators, instead of having their accounts revoked completely.

I agree with this. I got banned from a subreddit, for a stupid reason. And now the mods won't even reply when I reach out to them...it sucks.

sitko wrote:

I certainly like the idea of a less toxic social network, but the problem is how to create one. This will require a lot of thought and planning -- and an ability and willingness to learn from mistakes.

sitko wrote:

I like the idea of a "dating" UI that is an opt-in feature of a larger non-"dating" social network. That way, people could get to know potential "dates" in non-dating contexts, which is a more natural way to get to know people.

sitko
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Mar 2021, 10:16 pm

quite an extreme wrote:
Some important points are modifying existing content, copyrights and patents, how free people are within their communication, grouping people, finding and joining groups, privacy and decentralized handling of communication and memberships for not getting sued to allow hidden access to communication to governments and police and last but not least your own goals with that ... :wink:
I guess you don't want to administrate it regarding the wishes of others and there will be a plenty of people who'll show up with lots of demands towards you as soon as there are more than only just a handful of members.

If you're referring to people suing FaceBook to access their data, yea, that's definitely something that wouldn't be an issue with this app. We let the users choose who can use their data and who can't. Some users wouldn't care about their data, and would let everyone use it, they would also earn points for every tidbit of data they share. Others like me, would be more restrictive with their data, keeping critical stuff hidden, and only sharing it when there was a good reason to.

quite an extreme wrote:
The biggest question in case of 'making the world a better place' is for which people you want improvements and who are your enemies if starting with that. In many cases you'll only make the lawyers happy that will sue you for what you have ever done. In doubts you should start to look for a nice place to stay afterwards just like Edward Snowden or Julian Assange (who failed at that).

Well, that's a pretty cynical viewpoint. But, I take your point. The simple T&C and just trying to do the "right" thing will hopefully keep me out of exile.