Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2021, 9:07 pm

Last year around this time, I cut the nail on my big toe too short. It stopped growing and seemed to get infected after about 5 months. My doc gave me an antibiotic which cleared it up but now - a year later , The toenail seems to be growing off but very slowly. It is also yellow and brown. Looks awful. I cut the other big toenail too short and the same thing is happening. Could this be fungus?

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2021, 10:39 pm

I have something similar. I damaged the largest toe nail on one foot, the base of it turned black and it stopped growing for months. But then it started growing again, and the damaged part just made its way off the end. Thought that was the end of it, but then the base of it got infected and stopped growing. Treated that, but it didn't grow for months. And then when it started growing again, the base of it was all ragged. It grew for a while then stopped, for months. The started growing again...

Each time it does this the growing part looks healthy, but the older part of the nail turns yellow or white, and new and old don't line up. The new nail always grows under the old.

My doctor says if I'm not worried about it either is he. He said we can treat it with tea tree oil or something, and look further into it if it bothers me, but atm it is just a cosmetic issue.

Sounds similar to yours, but I don't know how you could cause a nail bed issue by cutting a nail short.

SpottedMushroom
Raven
Raven

19 Mar 2021, 8:22 am

Maybe? You could try an over the counter anti fungal cream and see if it helps. If it's fungal it will take time, though, months.