Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Stellian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jul 2007, 3:19 am

nannarob wrote:
Stellian, probably 'reaching out' isn't appropriate language. 'Making contact' is better, or perhaps initiating contact.

That makes it very clear, thank you. I see what you mean.

nannarob wrote:
'Checking up on' how an NT is could be another way. If you have a stressed out NT in your life, perhaps you can check out how they are going.

"Are you stressed? Are you upset? Can I do anything to help?" I'm finding it hard to know what an aspie would say.

I just had a long conversation about it with my girlfriend, because I could hardly believe it. She finally managed to convince me that NTs actually enjoy company even when they're stressed, and they even find it relaxing. Furthermore, talking to them and touching them doesn't make them feel worse. It's amazing. That's exactly the opposite of what I would want if I was stressed! :D It's like we're from different species. It's so incredible, it sounds like a superpower. Like enjoying a cold shower on a winter day.

I used to leave them alone when they didn't feel good. Now I understand why they acted mad at me after that. It explains so much! Thank you for making me discover this, it could be very useful.

I'm an adult but I still have a lot to learn about NTs. I wish there was as much information about understanding NTs as there is about understanding aspies.

I still prefer to be reached out in moderation, because social contact is sensory intensive, but I agree that the emotional bond is indeed a good thing that many aspies would appreciate - in their own terms.

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 9:16 am

I try to be as honest as I can as an NT on WP.

It's so funny how different we are.. I keep banging my head and saying doh! doh! doh! at the things I do.

For example I am in discussion with a member on WP who is going through depression. I was sending her pm's every day. I checked to see if that was okay. She replied that perhaps every second day would be better Then I remembered that Tony Atwood said Aspies wanted to be left alone. Doh!

We keep needing to learn from one another.

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 3:07 pm

nannarob wrote:
I try to be as honest as I can as an NT on WP.

It's so funny how different we are.. I keep banging my head and saying doh! doh! doh! at the things I do.

For example I am in discussion with a member on WP who is going through depression. I was sending her pm's every day. I checked to see if that was okay. She replied that perhaps every second day would be better Then I remembered that Tony Atwood said Aspies wanted to be left alone. Doh!

We keep needing to learn from one another.

I can relate to what it's like dealing with someone who has depression.It may be that the depression will take precedence over the basic Aspie tendencies at some stage.
Sometimes depressed people reach a stage where they just don't know what they
want themselves and no matter what you do you're never really sure in advance if
it's going to be the right thing ! All I can say is you're own sig,Never Ever Give Up,is the best advice and I'm sure they'll appreciate all your efforts.

Last edited by pluto on 24 Jul 2007, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 3:35 pm

Stellian wrote:
I just had a long conversation about it with my girlfriend, because I could hardly believe it. She finally managed to convince me that NTs actually enjoy company even when they're stressed, and they even find it relaxing. Furthermore, talking to them and touching them doesn't make them feel worse. It's amazing. That's exactly the opposite of what I would want if I was stressed! :D It's like we're from different species. It's so incredible, it sounds like a superpower. Like enjoying a cold shower on a winter day.

I used to leave them alone when they didn't feel good. Now I understand why they acted mad at me after that. It explains so much! Thank you for making me discover this, it could be very useful.

I'm an adult but I still have a lot to learn about NTs. I wish there was as much information about understanding NTs as there is about understanding aspies.

I still prefer to be reached out in moderation, because social contact is sensory intensive, but I agree that the emotional bond is indeed a good thing that many aspies would appreciate - in their own terms.

So that's why people think we can be so apathic when actually we're trying to give them the room we would like if in their situation? LOL! I wish NTs came along with a manual! :P

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

24 Jul 2007, 3:42 pm

thats great hes has such great grandparents. lucky, my parents are f**k sticks :D

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 3:55 pm

nannarob wrote:
I am speaking on behalf of decent NT's who love someone with aspergers.

Get real!

Only fakes use fake names!

I am gwynfryn; gwynfryn is my given name.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 4:41 pm

gwynfryn wrote:
nannarob wrote:
I am speaking on behalf of decent NT's who love someone with aspergers.

Get real!

Only fakes use fake names!

I am gwynfryn; gwynfryn is my given name.

You presume to much...the name she goes by is what her grand kids call her(I think?)and has part of her "given name".How does using your "given name" make you more real?It doesnt help me know who you "really are" but your attack on someone who I consider a friend and has shown many people here genuine compassion DOES show me who the 'real you" is,at least as I perceive such a person...someone who is angry and wants to wound...the question I am less certain of,is why.Do you just not trust anyone who is an NT?or believe that the majority of us who like to use "nick names" are inherintly dishonest?Did she do something to you personally that you feel like you need to attack her or does she just "represent someone" that you think she is similiar to.

Perhaps you can clear up these questions and I will have a better understanding of who "you" are....it would certainly give me more insight then using your "real" name.My name is Denise....do you feel it lets you know who I am?

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 10:27 pm

pluto wrote:

All I can say is you're own sig,Never Ever Give Up,is the best advice and I'm sure they'll appreciate all your efforts.

That sig was taken from a sign in my psychiatrist's desk. I used to stare at it as I battled my own depression which I can only control by very high doses of antidepressants and changed thinking.

There seems to be a distinct difference in how most NT's and most Aspies handle depression. I want someone to give me a bit of time, to say a few kind words and to look after me a bit...not too much because I also want to retreat. My daughter Smelena is the same. Her friends rally around her and clean her house. She sleeps a lot, but likes someone to be there when she wakes up. In fact at one stage her husband had to take 6 weeks off work because she could not bear to be alone (post natal depression).

On the other hand Tony Attwood states that aspies need lots of space to recover.

Thanks Pluto for your encouragement.

However, I have lived on my emotions for most of my life and what I really love about WP is the fact that I have to reason things out and use more logic. I now believe good intentions on my part are not good enough and I have to understand the others point of view.

Robyn!! !

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex